IGNORED

Blaž - Steven

Dpek

Hello, dear people of WATMM. Today I've released a new album on Beton Records called Steven!

You can hear it on Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Apple Music, Spotify, etc. right here:

https://blaz.lnk.to/steven

Hope you'll listen to it and tell me what you think!

"An instrumental sound called Steven is born and encounters Julia who becomes his guide. She introduces him to many of her friends, including a grizzly, a pink bird, a gangster angel and Stefan Burnett from the band Death Grips. Finally he meets Slovenian producer Blaž, who is the overseer of this particular soundscape Steven was born into. They get into a freestyle battle which Steven loses because he can't articulate words - he is only an instrumental sound after all. Steven runs away and falls into a alcohol-fueled depression. Blaž finally finds him and teaches him how to find his own articulate voice."

zL3NQGC.jpg

Sup Ganus :) let me know how it fares in comparison with Don't Listen To This! truly interested in your opinion since i got the most feedback from you for the last album on WATMM

The whole track sequence of Stefan Burnett to the end track I super super love. The tracks before are good, but I feel that's the point where it really gets into the personality of the sound of "Steven". I love all the tracks with the Steven/Julia/Blaž characters. The way you characterized Stevens voice makes me smile every time. I'm on 3 listens, and I think my favorites are Battle of Steven and The Frown (omg that end.)

I'm excited to listen more! I feel this is quickly going to become a favorite.

Expanding on the use of "voice"... I really like how in the melody section of the battle with Blaž, Blaž's melodic voice is represented by that organ sound, which is all over the album B.

The progression of Steven's voice just the best; it's kind of sweet and innocent for the first half, then Steven has a breakdown at the end of the battle, and his voice turns warped and wobbly in "Alkohol" while Steven is on a binge. Then Steven's voice is literally not present on "No Voice in this Chaos" (except maybe in the climax at around 2:17?), and comes back clear and calm in "Shame is Death", distorted but confident. Then "The Frown" feels like a show of pure fatalistic determination. I feel like there's still more to dig into here, but the story of this album definitely feels like it reveals itself after a few listens.

I can't help but feel like Grizzly and New Religion don't quite fit, because otherwise, the flow of this album is masterful. I've been sharing this with friends and family. You've outdone yourself ??

Thank you Ganus for your kind words!

I understand what you mean by the album getting into its flow from Stefan Burnett on. I actually agree. The first 4 songs (excluding Birth Of Steven) are more or less bangers, meant to keep the blood pumping. I would actually include Stefan Burnett and Pink Bird in this batch. When I was beginning to work on the album I envisioned it as pop songs, connected by three Steven skits. So independent hits, each representing a character. Then the story began to deepen... But I still see the first half as a series of individual encounters.

Ok wow you just made another post while I was writing this one. :D Damn you really immersed yourself, thank you so much for this, makes me happy to make music... You are right about the organ sound being the most recognizible Blaž synth, and about the various forms of Steven. It is of course open to interpretation.

To immerse myself a little bit and tell my interpretation of the whole Steven story arc... I've been making instrumental beats music for the last 15 years. I've tried to include some of my singing etc. but in the end figured out I was the best at just making sounds. So instrumental music without any meaning pretty much. But the urge to apply some message into my work was still present and I tried to fulfill it the best I could. So the main story of Steven became molding of the instrumental music into meaning. It was connected to my whole life, not just making this album, I also published my first public novel in between. I love the otherwordliness of instrumental music, like BoC for example but I guess I wanted to go further with Steven...

Too bad about Grizzly and New Religion :/ I like them of course otherwise I wouldn't include them in the flow of album. Is anything missing if you exclude them in your playlist?

Peace

It's cool to hear more about your process with this album! As far as Grizzly and NR, I don't want to be critical; it's just my opinion, and I am sure I get something different from the album than you might, or than other listeners may. While I am super into the stuff that focuses on 'Steven', I think the banger pop tracks will probably appeal up front to people who I shared the album with. It's just as a fan and a musician with a love for story telling, the later stuff is *my favorite shit*.

• 1 month later...

Archived