IGNORED

Prefuse 73 - Sacrifices

beNito

Really looking forward to this.  He had some housing issues earlier this year and asked for donations.  He ended up giving out a 12 track album called "Untitled Gratitude" (as Guillermo S Herren) as thanks which is pretty good, and left me wanting more. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice track. Really hoping this is a return to form for him as prefuse. I was a huge fan back in the day, but really haven't liked anything by him since ampexian.

man I haven't heard his stuff in forever.

i actually had to check back and the last thing of his that i ever listened to was surrounded by silence. that was 2015

Wow, Guillermo Scott Herren is still at it? And there's new Dr. Octo as well...god damn 2018 is turning out to be a good year for music. That track preview is quite lush, but I'm being cautious with my spending ATM. But I definitely wanna order this soon.

man I haven't heard his stuff in forever.

i actually had to check back and the last thing of his that i ever listened to was surrounded by silence. that was 2015

SBS was from early 2005. But I'm assuming 2015 is when you last listened to his stuff personally. SBS is my favorite P73 album to date so far, but this new one seems promising.

• 4 weeks later...

^Thanks for posting that, reminded me to give it a listen. I agree on the ambience is pretty nice, maybe the best thing he's done in a while as well, but.... I haven't been into any Prefuse since Preparations...and this does remind me of that album in the sonic choices, perhaps? (lots of strings and drums) Honestly half the tracks on this could've been from that era and it wouldn't surprise me...which says something, I think.

Just my first listen to this but honestly not sure I'll ever give it another spin. Very doubtful I'd consider purchasing it given how many tracks were just flat, just weak. That said, some tracks, like 3 or 4, were pretty damned good. The album may work for some people but some of it definitely didn't work for me...

I think some of the singles/EPs I heard from him a year-ish ago were about the same. One or two decent cuts with some other bits around it. Only saying anything in here because some of it was pretty good, not trying to shit on it, just makes me sad it was so inconsistent for me...I just can't get with an album that's inconsistent or feels lazy (as this often does). 

I'll have to give this a listen, reviews ive seen here and elsewhere seem to say it's a fresh step for him. I didn't mind Amepexian, but he had a string of albums before that that were a bit weaker compared to his early stuff, and The Only She chapters was really weak, so I had stopped keeping up with him. The little collab with Teebs as Sons of the Morning was alright too I guess.

Looking forward to hearing him back in full groove.

An album like this could be easily overshadowed because of no standout tracks like Point to B or 7th message, but after 3 listens I’m totally getting lost in this world he’s built.

Credit due.

Just downloaded Sacrifices this morning. Haven't gotten all the way through yet, but it's pretty lush so far, especially Basinskitarian & The World Is Bigger. This is the first time I've really listened to P73 since Everything She Touched Turned Ampexian from 2009, which felt lackluster compared to this. Guillermo Scott Herren sounds more experienced, refined, and mature this time around.

Surrounded By Silence is still my favorite album, but this one will probably grow on me over time.

Very nice and cohesive album, dug it a lot more than I expected.

Funny enough another beat scene stalwart / originator Daedalus just put out a new album too.

Prefuse has dropped a mix for Solid Steel this week:

http://solidsteel.net/broadcasts/1129

The one he did from 2015 is pretty good too (and also still available for listening/download afaik) if you're into golden-age hiphop aka dad music.

I've got mixed feelings about the man & his music, the first couple of P73 and delarosa albums were great but he kinda began a long slide after that, best thing he put out in recent memory was Ampexian and that's almost 10 years old now.  Just my perception, but the success of his early stuff made him too self-aware and sensitive to criticism and his art suffered as a result.  Willing to go into this one with open ears though based on the feedback here.

Also the two times I saw him live both sucked, basically him on a drum kit playing along to his album tracks (once with a couple other backing musicians, other time just by himself).  At no point during either did he ever bother to acknowledge the crowd (you know, the people that just paid to see you) which I find uppity and weak.

Loved his early stuff - particularly the Delarosa stuff (and Extinguished Outtakes weirdly. So much better than the full album) but I agree that he went off the boil for a long time. Only time I saw him live was in Barcelona in 03, just him on an mpc which was pretty excellent.

I really liked the 'Untitled Gratitude' thing he did last year so high hopes for this album.

Wow pleasently surprised by this! It is sooooo much better than anything he's done in almost 10 years...Similar to DJ Shadow/RJD2, he started strong and then totally went off the rails creatively (sans Ampexian). I still don't think he will ever top One Word Extinguisher.

Saw him live after OWE came out and it was pretty good. Scott on an MPC and another guy on turntables/effects. Saw him after security screening and it was a mess. Scott on drums/triggering samples and someone else making awful noises on a synth/laptop.

Yeah, this is a really great album! Possibly the least amount of vocals for anything he's put out? Still has his trademark ability to weave samples into each other in a super fluid way. He's always had this really natural intuition about composition I feel. Like every part of his tracks just ease into each other seamlessly. At any rate, excited to hear where he goes from here. His first 3 albums are absolute gold.

Archived