Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Best volca fm editor for Mac OS ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 D4M0

D4M0

Massively Looking Forward.

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • 53 topics
  • Joined 19-August 14
  • Interests:Lushness.

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:29 AM

What editor do you use for programming patches ?

#2 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,313 posts
  • 154 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:05 AM

unless they've added an update the only way to program the volca remotely is with a whole patch dump. you can't change single params. so this makes editing difficult. someone correct me if they've fixed this now.

#3 user

user

edit

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • 13 topics
  • Joined 16-May 12
  • Interests:none

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

There's the browser based one: https://synthmata.com/volca-fm/ (works in Chrome for me)

It's been a while since I used it but it's pretty much real time if memory serves.

If you have an ipad it might also be worth checking out patch base.  

edit; there's also a few m4l based ones but those just offer control over the implemented midi.

Maybe someone will start offering a sysex based one now that live supports it.

Edited by user, 16 April 2018 - 03:50 AM.

#4 D4M0

D4M0

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • 53 topics
  • Joined 19-August 14

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:51 AM

Sadly, no IPad, A Mac OS version of patchbase would be nice, and what about dexed ?

#5 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,313 posts
  • 154 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:06 AM

dexed lets you dump whole banks which can be pretty handy if you want to test them out first. doubt it does individual parameters but it's worth having a play around with it just in case.

#6 user

user

edit

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • 13 topics
  • Joined 16-May 12

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

Yeah, dexed doesn't do realtime editing. Like MGF says you can dump patches and of course you can make your own sounds with dexed and then dump them on the volca.

I think you have to manually pick the right algorithm on the volca after transfering a patch though, or maybe it was a setting somewhere. After this the patches sound more or less identical to my untrained ears.

Give the browser based editor a whirl, it's quite good and you can just download the page if you want to keep your puter offline.

#7 D4M0

D4M0

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • 53 topics
  • Joined 19-August 14

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

Will give it a go, thanks

#8 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,313 posts
  • 154 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:34 PM

considering the last system update was in 2016 i'm going to go ahead and assume that they haven't added single parameter changes and that whenever you tweak something on the editor it dumps the whole patch

unless my research about how midi sysex is handled on the FM was wrong, but i was getting heavily into the idea of doing the editing in max and wouldn't have stopped unless i was convinced there were no single param tweaks. the max object for sysex data has an example that lets you tweak a DX7 setting via midi, and no matter what I did I could not get this to work with the FM. and i didn't want to do the whole patch dump thing each time because it seemed like a pain in the butt and i wasn't even sure if it would work, but if that's really what's going on with this editor maybe i'll take another stab at it.

#9 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

Nope, I started making an editor for it and it's limited to entire dumps.

If you wanna get your tweaky tweaky on, you're better off w/ the 4-op fam (e.g. TX81Z and I believe FB20)

#10 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,313 posts
  • 154 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:52 AM

yep and for that you can use my handy editor which works with most yamaha 4 op synths including the TX81Z / DX11, and DX21 (maybe not the DX9). i'm pretty sure it will work with the DX100, DX27 and those little rackmount fb ones but i haven't been able to test it with them yet. if you own one lemme know.

5Jluizq.png

the virtual midi buffer is there to slow down the rate of the messages as the buffer on the TX81z was notoriously shit. also you'll need to use it alongside your daw or have some way to monitor the sound as i'm lazy and haven't added in a preview channel because i always have the audio feeding into somewhere else like ableton or straight from the synth into speakers / headphones. also if you want to pull it apart and edit it i apologise for the mess, i made it more than 5 years ago. i'm much better at using pattr and doing things wirelessly that way now.

download here

https://drive.google...65ZMpKmESpfRu1r

(it's a max patch btw but cycling 74 let you use other people's patches for free and max is a free download for anyone, you just pay to enable saving if you want to create your own patches)

#11 user

user

edit

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • 13 topics
  • Joined 16-May 12

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

considering the last system update was in 2016 i'm going to go ahead and assume that they haven't added single parameter changes and that whenever you tweak something on the editor it dumps the whole patch

unless my research about how midi sysex is handled on the FM was wrong, but i was getting heavily into the idea of doing the editing in max and wouldn't have stopped unless i was convinced there were no single param tweaks. the max object for sysex data has an example that lets you tweak a DX7 setting via midi, and no matter what I did I could not get this to work with the FM. and i didn't want to do the whole patch dump thing each time because it seemed like a pain in the butt and i wasn't even sure if it would work, but if that's really what's going on with this editor maybe i'll take another stab at it.

Ah shit, completely missed that nuance. Never considered this as the way I've been using any editors is; dump patch, listen, tweak, dump again and do further tweaking on the volca.