IGNORED

Best volca fm editor for Mac OS ?

d-a-m-o

There's the browser based one: https://synthmata.com/volca-fm/ (works in Chrome for me)

It's been a while since I used it but it's pretty much real time if memory serves.

If you have an ipad it might also be worth checking out patch base.  

edit; there's also a few m4l based ones but those just offer control over the implemented midi.

Maybe someone will start offering a sysex based one now that live supports it.

Yeah, dexed doesn't do realtime editing. Like MGF says you can dump patches and of course you can make your own sounds with dexed and then dump them on the volca.

I think you have to manually pick the right algorithm on the volca after transfering a patch though, or maybe it was a setting somewhere. After this the patches sound more or less identical to my untrained ears.

Give the browser based editor a whirl, it's quite good and you can just download the page if you want to keep your puter offline.

considering the last system update was in 2016 i'm going to go ahead and assume that they haven't added single parameter changes and that whenever you tweak something on the editor it dumps the whole patch

unless my research about how midi sysex is handled on the FM was wrong, but i was getting heavily into the idea of doing the editing in max and wouldn't have stopped unless i was convinced there were no single param tweaks. the max object for sysex data has an example that lets you tweak a DX7 setting via midi, and no matter what I did I could not get this to work with the FM. and i didn't want to do the whole patch dump thing each time because it seemed like a pain in the butt and i wasn't even sure if it would work, but if that's really what's going on with this editor maybe i'll take another stab at it.

Ah shit, completely missed that nuance. Never considered this as the way I've been using any editors is; dump patch, listen, tweak, dump again and do further tweaking on the volca.

Archived