IGNORED

birds

dingformung

seen that over the weekend, instantly made me think of this cover. the character’s name was Proginoskes iirc

C9923643-06B4-4034-996C-A46C5A54171F.jpeg

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/12364266

This old lady and local icon died this week in a hit-and-run. I live here and had seen her out and about from time to time :(

IMG_2545.JPG

• Sad 4

49 minutes ago, Roo said:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/12364266

This old lady and local icon died this week in a hit-and-run. I live here and had seen her out and about from time to time ?

IMG_2545.JPG

Wait ... so is his the same cold blooded killer as in he post above yours?

(blackbird offspring are now learning to fly in our garden. One smashed into our bedroom window and another almost flew in face as I sat reading)

55 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

(blackbird offspring are now learning to fly in our garden. One smashed into our bedroom window and another almost flew in face as I sat reading)

Doubtful. Especially considering the killer cass was in Florida. I guess the victim was keeping it as a pet or something.

From what I know these birds aren't carnivores, but their talons combined with their strength are dangerous enough to disembowel somebody with a single blow.

10 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Yeah different continents. I live on the Cassowary Coast and a lot of the road signs and Big Things here are cassowary-related. We drive slow here so we don't hit them, you often see them moving about in families with the smaller chicks.

Despite that dangerous streak, their nature can tend to be librarian-shy though.

Edited by Roo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pointless post listing the birdies I've spotted during the lockdown from my terrace the last couple of months. No pics. 

Spoiler

Ring necked dove
Laughing dove
Brown headed barbet
Purple sunbird
Yellow sunbird
Yellow footed green pigeons
Common myna
Indian silverbill
Rose ring parakeet
Pariah kite
Red whiskered bulbul
Bhraminy starling
Rosy starling
Black drongo
Shikra
Red vented bulbul
Magpie robin
Grey hornbill
Common raven
Flameback woodpecker
Rufus Treepai

• Like 5

Saw some pigeons, sparrows, magpies and seagulls today, same as any day. Birds.

Forgot blackbird. Saw that as well. Same as any day. Probably saw some ducks as well, can't remember. Blackbird has a better singing voice so that's ok. Birds.

Edited by Gocab
  • Thanks 2

It just takes practice. Practice and patience and then after a while you’ll see birds you never noticed before.

Which then turn out to be marked as “very common” in your birding guide.

Stalking birds is fun. There are a lot of large grey herons standing in the flat river waters fishing, in the middle of the city. I'm always fascinated when such big animals haven't been exterminated yet. Probably because there isn't much meat on them

Edited by dingformung

20 hours ago, dingformung said:

Stalking birds is fun. There are a lot of large grey herons standing in the flat river waters fishing, in the middle of the city. I'm always fascinated when such big animals haven't been exterminated yet. Probably because there isn't much meat on them

Apparently hunting and subsequently eating herons used to be a thing. Mary of Burgundy came to an untimely end when she fell off her horse during a heron hunting party.

Personally I consider the heron to be God’s finest creation, especially the white variety (which are called egrets in English). Thanks to the miracle of climate change these are becoming more and more common over here. 

• Like 1