Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The guide to Autechre

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wredny

wredny

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • 9 topics
  • Joined 22-September 14

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:17 AM

A new guide folks: https://noisey.vice....ide-to-autechre

#2 EXTRASUPER81

EXTRASUPER81

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 25-June 16

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:53 AM

Not too bad considering it's basically an impossible task. Credit for that.

#3 Ragnar

Ragnar

2K, On My Way

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • 493 topics
  • Joined 09-September 07

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

I was confused whether the NTS sessions were just them or also artists they liked, I'm an idiot lol. None of the NTS stuff has grabbed me yet but it's cool they're releasing miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit into something tidy like an album

#4 Ragnar

Ragnar

2K, On My Way

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • 493 topics
  • Joined 09-September 07

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

sometimes I get annoyed when articles try to say 'this is glitchy shit' just in a larger amount of words, but I like this

“Cfern” in particular has the feeling of multiple songs, in different keys and rhythms, playing in browser tabs you can’t find – with new ones popping up as you whack-a-mole the exit buttons. 

#5 darreichungsform

darreichungsform

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • 61 topics
  • Joined 31-July 16
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/darreichungsform
  • Interests:good things

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

I read the article and it wasn't great but I appreciate any effort to bringing the joy of autechre to a greater audience. If only a couple of people buy their music because of this article this is an achievement.

#6 EXTRASUPER81

EXTRASUPER81

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 25-June 16

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

He clearly digs it and has avoided the sort of obvious clichés I would use. I disagree more with his track choices but I couldn't do better, different people find different things in different, uh, things.

It's as good a place to start as any pretty much.

#7 lastrushup10

lastrushup10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 05-September 14

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:51 PM

"Autechre have never really tried to meet you where you’re at." Understatement in some ways, but also sometimes they've been exactly where I needed them to be.

#8 Hk47

Hk47

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • 5 topics
  • Joined 09-November 16
  • SoundCloud URL:apparent-symmetry
  • Interests:Science. Space. Cyberpunk Literature. Anime.

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

Yeah it's become very clear well going through these AE threads that everyone enjoys different things in different tracks and was pulled into AE through different songs that finally clicked with them...
While I saw this article as more of a "this is how I connect with Autechre" piece, I don't know if any article about AE could be anything other than that... Trying to put together a "how to get into Autechre" piece seems pretty trivial in my mind... But it is always nice seeing any website bring more attention to the duo.
=P

I recently shared my AE collection with a friend and told her that if she wound up liking it, it would be a totally personal thing. I didn't tell her where to start, or what to listen to first (outside of saying that the albums and eps were where she probably should devote most of her attention to at first). She's would up going in chronological order and said that Chiastic Slide really clicked with her while she was walking through the grocery store trying to avoid people.
=P
And now she wants to go back and listen to everything she's already listened to in the hopes that she'll hear things she didn't hear the first time around.

<shrug>

#9 qaz

qaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 26-April 13

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

The cover looks empty, which is the feeling that a lot of the music on that record conveys, that it was a zone without people.

A zone without people, huh? ;)

Edited by qaz, 18 April 2018 - 07:12 PM.