IGNORED

Music Has the Right to Children 20th Anniversary

jasondonervan

I had gotten a RealAudio (remember that?) file of Orange Romeda and was hooked, and longtime forum member SPD sent me his Matador Records copy of MHTRTC - this must have been around late 1999/2000ish. Hooked ever since.

Fairly certain my first portable 'digital media player' only took .ra files. Very specific memory of trying to fit just one album (Luke Vibert & BJ Cole's 'Stop The Panic') on the damn thing, using a honkingly low bitrate from the CD rip, and failing miserably due to the tiny capacity.

I got a taste of it when I dove into p2p network sharing back in college - shitty encoded mp3s, 64 kps rips, .wma to some degree. There was time everyone was watching movies that could fit on a CD - < 700 mb .avi files. Saw Akira and Requiem for Dream that way in college, downloaded them from DC++ via a super fast intranet server. (It was shut down a couple years later)

But otherwise it's an era I missed out on. I love reading about the various formats people came across in the nascent days of file sharing. Digital lo-fi music as a format is talked about very little among people, perhaps it will crop up in the future. 

I had gotten a RealAudio (remember that?) file of Orange Romeda and was hooked, and longtime forum member SPD sent me his Matador Records copy of MHTRTC - this must have been around late 1999/2000ish. Hooked ever since.

Fairly certain my first portable 'digital media player' only took .ra files. Very specific memory of trying to fit just one album (Luke Vibert & BJ Cole's 'Stop The Panic') on the damn thing, using a honkingly low bitrate from the CD rip, and failing miserably due to the tiny capacity.

Yeah! I had one of those Creative "Rio" digital music players, and it could play RealAudio files - I remember having the 1st Aphex Peel session at 128kbps... and not much more on it!

419ZZJ2KCVL.jpg

I got a taste of it when I dove into p2p network sharing back in college - shitty encoded mp3s, 64 kps rips, .wma to some degree. There was time everyone was watching movies that could fit on a CD - Akira and Requiem for Dream that way in college, downloaded them from DC++ via a super fast intranet server. (It was shut down a couple years later)

But otherwise it's an era I missed out on. I love reading about the various formats people came across in the nascent days of file sharing. Digital lo-fi music as a format is talked about very little among people, perhaps it will crop up in the future. 

Back when I was starting up joyrex.com, there was a great website (that for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called) but it had all the early pre-ICBYD Aphex releases on it (with audio samples in RA) and that was the first place I found out about Boards of Canada, Pan Sonic, etc. - they had a proto-message board that people would post info about these groups on, and I soaked it all up.

in 1998 my cd player broke and my dad gave me his old record player and took me shopping for digital vinyls. i found a promo for mbm's "prime audio soup" which had the incredible boc remix on it and it blew my mind. a month or so later i got my a new cd player and went to a local cd store in chicago called "evil clown" where my uncle worked and i was telling him about the mbm 12" and he was like "hmmm...hold on one sec" and went into the back. he came out with mhtrtc which was an import from teh uk (evil clown had a lot of imports). he was like "here man, you can have this." my life was completely altered by this event. still one of my favorite albums ever. listened to it a couple weeks ago and it was still like "wtf this is incredible."

The very same bird that brought me stuffs like Old Tunes, Disengage (Boc Maxima), and mislabelled trax purporting to be Squarepunter ('Drum and Bass 2000', lol)

Oh man, going by the comments in this vid, looks like I wasn't the only one to be hoodwinked by late 90s poorly labelled filesharing:

I love that it has persisted to the point of being a long-standing youtube upload that remains incorrectly named, years after the fact. To be fair it was actually a pretty decent dnb track! Gives me a chuckle to think I used to consider it a Squarepusher effort for a good handful of years until the penny dropped.

Yeah! I had one of those Creative "Rio" digital music players, and it could play RealAudio files - I remember having the 1st Aphex Peel session at 128kbps... and not much more on it!

419ZZJ2KCVL.jpg

Yes! Mine is in a drawer somewhere. Thing only held one freaking album; I used to endlessly loop the Urchin s/t (incidentally also 1998)

my first listen was on a flight to cali as the sun was setting. absolutely nothing intentional about it, had never listened to boc before, but clearly remember looking out the window at the light dipping behind the rockies as those kicks came in on telephasic workshop. lush boc style.

my first listen was on a flight to cali as the sun was setting. absolutely nothing intentional about it, had never listened to boc before, but clearly remember looking out the window at the light dipping behind the rockies as those kicks came in on telephasic workshop. lush boc style.

That sounds like it was fucking glorious.

• 2 months later...

I bought the MHTRTC CD from a local record store without ever even hearing BOC. I'm gonna guess this was probably around spring of 2000 based on the memory of where I was listening, sitting on a bean bag chair, window open, sun shine on the wall and me wondering that what the hell is this now. I ended up carrying the CD around with me to play to friends. I can't remember what compelled me to buy it though.

• 4 months later...

I bought the MHTRTC CD from a local record store without ever even hearing BOC. I'm gonna guess this was probably around spring of 2000 based on the memory of where I was listening, sitting on a bean bag chair, window open, sun shine on the wall and me wondering that what the hell is this now. I ended up carrying the CD around with me to play to friends. I can't remember what compelled me to buy it though.

Sounds like my story as well. I probably bought it because of the groovy cover.

Archived