IGNORED

Music Has the Right to Children 20th Anniversary

jasondonervan

eso8kite4sbi.jpg

img_5755obsvx.jpg

img_5753lmsia.jpg

20 years young. I remember discovering MHTRTC (and Boards of Canada) through a tiny album review in the NME of all places, the week before release back in April 1998. It described an album awash with pleasing melodies and nostalgic childhood sounds, like it had sampled dated old science/nature documentaries you might have watched at school. A few days later I was in town, and found myself in one of my favourite indie record shops at the time (Imperial Records RIP). They had the CD hooked up to the number 1 spot on the listening post (remember those?) which was their way of saying 'best record of the week'. I must have enjoyed it right away, as I still have my CD copy from release week with the price sticker on it. I since picked up vinyl copies (including the promo above, for pennies in a secondhand rack), and have been along for the ride with BoC for the past 20 years. I am cast on a sea of my own personal nostalgia whenever I play it, yet it still sounds fresh and timeless to this day.

I'm interested to hear how others came to discover this weird and wonderful album, and what it means to them now.

I've no idea how I discovered them....was living in a smoke filled 3 story student house and this album found us through the haze... while the upstairs gang were into their pills and house/techno .. we the stoners downstairs had discovered the rephlex/warp sound and boC was a go-to day-after-the-night-before soundscape. 

This album means whole hell of a lot in so many ways now and the cover resides permanently on my wall - one of my most played vinyls

Discovered BoC around 12 or 13 years ago on an old skateboarding forum, of all places. They had a 'mixtape' trading thread where everyone would share zip files of their favourite tunes, and someone included Roygbiv in theirs. Completely blew me away on the first listen. Even though I was in my mid teens at the time, it was still an all-out nostalgia assault. Took me right back to being a kid, sitting in front of the record player and listening to my dad's Tangerine Dream records.

I didn't actually hear MHTRTC for a while after that, though. I remember buying Hi Scores from HMV shortly after my BoC discovery, and stuck with that for a couple years. One day I decided to check out MHTRTC on a whim, and even though I (somehow) wasn't impressed at first, I slowly became obsessed after repeated listens. Finally picked up the vinyl a few years ago, and it's probably ended up being my most-played bit o' wax.

Also, Kaini Industries is the fucking daddy.

by a beautiful instance of serendipity.. today where i live feels like the first sunny day after the end of a long dreary winter.... one can almost taste the choc-ices and sandy beach air :)

eso8kite4sbi.jpg

img_5755obsvx.jpg

img_5753lmsia.jpg

20 years young. I remember discovering MHTRTC (and Boards of Canada) through a tiny album review in the NME of all places, the week before release back in April 1998. It described an album awash with pleasing melodies and nostalgic childhood sounds, like it had sampled dated old science/nature documentaries you might have watched at school. A few days later I was in town, and found myself in one of my favourite indie record shops at the time (Imperial Records RIP). They had the CD hooked up to the number 1 spot on the listening post (remember those?) which was their way of saying 'best record of the week'. I must have enjoyed it right away, as I still have my CD copy from release week with the price sticker on it. I since picked up vinyl copies (including the promo above, for pennies in a secondhand rack), and have been along for the ride with BoC for the past 20 years. I am cast on a sea of my own personal nostalgia whenever I play it, yet it still sounds fresh and timeless to this day.

I'm interested to hear how others came to discover this weird and wonderful album, and what it means to them now.

I've still got that promo knocking around - there was a shop that would sell them 2 months before the release date near where i lived at the time. Picked up LP5, EP7, Rest Proof Clockwork amongst others - good times.

I remember mentioning to a couple of mates that this really good album was coming out soon, knocked out a mini review on the IDM list too. Had no idea it would become as massive as it did though.

Yeah yeah, great record, 20 years old, blah blah blah. 

I'm tired of this nostalgia bullshit. 

Where are the new tunes?!

New shirts and a special limited edition lithograph print up on bleep. I can't justify the shipping costs!! damn living in the US.

What's weird is the listing says it ships FROM the US.  If that's the case why the hell is it $15 to ship via the Post Office?!

I bought the album on CD in 2004 during a trip to New Orleans with my best friend at the time. I want to say it was Tower Records, which would be the first and last time ever I'd been to one. The artwork intrigued possibly more than any album artwork ever. I had a partial listen the night I got it on headphones shortly before bed. I thought it was mellow, subtle, lucid. Didn't blow my mind, but I knew I wanted to listen again soon. The second listen was more memorable. It was on our trip back north and it was spring and everything was very green and lush on our particular route. By the time it hit the trio of ROYGBIV>Rue the Whirl>Aquarius, I was pretty awestruck. 

Fast forward a year or so and they are my favorite artist. And still are. My progression of absolute favorite band/artist over the years had gone from Nirvana to Radiohead to BoC. Haven't had quite the musical milestone since then I don't think, although I've discovered a ton of major great shit. 

One more thing is they weren't the first electronic thing I fell in love with. That would be Aphex, who I'd worn out all the major releases from ICBYD to Drukqs. The warp connection was incidental and I didn't realize it until a while after.

I remember binging this album on my orange discman while trying to sleep on my interrail adventures back in the summer of 98. Can't listen to it without thinking about that, if you ever find yourself criss-crossing europe by train at night in the late 90s you should give it a shot. Ah, to be young again!

I first heard of this early 1999 when it came up as a recommended album on Amazon because of my interest in Aphex Twin. The art instantly grabbed my attention so i listened to the preview of the first track. As soon as that quick intro clip ended i bought the album, i knew i had found something i was looking for my whole life.

I didn't realize it wasn't even a year old when i found it, it felt so timeless that i thought it must have always existed.

Its always been growing on me, I never really liked it much for the first 10 years apart from a few tracks but there always seemed to be a subconscious (but gentle) riptide pulling me back to it to play it again, and so I'd play it again...

It is indeed a mysterious album, and to my ears similar to the enigmatic effect Selected Ambient Works II has on me. I certainly never played both such albums and instantly punched the sky and proclaimed them to be brilliant. The feeling they gently conjure is being aware your lost deep in the countryside at twilight, without a map and slight but unnerving feeling your surrounded by lots of haunted trees. And some of those spirits are good and some not so good.

I'm interested to hear how others came to discover this weird and wonderful album

VC9BoTH.png

the sacred bird

The very same bird that brought me stuffs like Old Tunes, Disengage (Boc Maxima), and mislabelled trax purporting to be Squarepunter ('Drum and Bass 2000', lol)

I had gotten a RealAudio (remember that?) file of Orange Romeda and was hooked, and longtime forum member SPD sent me his Matador Records copy of MHTRTC - this must have been around late 1999/2000ish. Hooked ever since.

I had gotten a RealAudio (remember that?) file of Orange Romeda and was hooked, and longtime forum member SPD sent me his Matador Records copy of MHTRTC - this must have been around late 1999/2000ish. Hooked ever since.

Fairly certain my first portable 'digital media player' only took .ra files. Very specific memory of trying to fit just one album (Luke Vibert & BJ Cole's 'Stop The Panic') on the damn thing, using a honkingly low bitrate from the CD rip, and failing miserably due to the tiny capacity.

Archived