Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Music Has the Right to Children 20th Anniversary

Boards of Canada Music70

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 jasondonervan

jasondonervan

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • 16 topics
  • Joined 11-April 18

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

I had gotten a RealAudio (remember that?) file of Orange Romeda and was hooked, and longtime forum member SPD sent me his Matador Records copy of MHTRTC - this must have been around late 1999/2000ish. Hooked ever since.

Fairly certain my first portable 'digital media player' only took .ra files. Very specific memory of trying to fit just one album (Luke Vibert & BJ Cole's 'Stop The Panic') on the damn thing, using a honkingly low bitrate from the CD rip, and failing miserably due to the tiny capacity.

#27 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,819 posts
  • 123 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

I had gotten a RealAudio (remember that?) file of Orange Romeda and was hooked, and longtime forum member SPD sent me his Matador Records copy of MHTRTC - this must have been around late 1999/2000ish. Hooked ever since.

Fairly certain my first portable 'digital media player' only took .ra files. Very specific memory of trying to fit just one album (Luke Vibert & BJ Cole's 'Stop The Panic') on the damn thing, using a honkingly low bitrate from the CD rip, and failing miserably due to the tiny capacity.

I got a taste of it when I dove into p2p network sharing back in college - shitty encoded mp3s, 64 kps rips, .wma to some degree. There was time everyone was watching movies that could fit on a CD - < 700 mb .avi files. Saw Akira and Requiem for Dream that way in college, downloaded them from DC++ via a super fast intranet server. (It was shut down a couple years later)

But otherwise it's an era I missed out on. I love reading about the various formats people came across in the nascent days of file sharing. Digital lo-fi music as a format is talked about very little among people, perhaps it will crop up in the future. 

#28 Stickfigger

Stickfigger

Some bullshit

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • 48 topics
  • Joined 15-April 08
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/user-507726405
  • Interests:https://meltedself.bandcamp.com/

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

I don't know if this is a glitch in my memory but I swear that the peer to peer version of this that I had had a different song or version of an eagle in your mind to kick off the release. Is this a hallucination or is my memory of the track just incorrect ? Has anyone else heard of some kind of alternative version doing the rounds online ?

#29 Joyrex

Joyrex

Pipe up, I can't hear you

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,313 posts
  • 1,771 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:57 AM

Yeah! I had one of those Creative "Rio" digital music players, and it could play RealAudio files - I remember having the 1st Aphex Peel session at 128kbps... and not much more on it!

419ZZJ2KCVL.jpg

#30 Joyrex

Joyrex

Pipe up, I can't hear you

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,313 posts
  • 1,771 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

I got a taste of it when I dove into p2p network sharing back in college - shitty encoded mp3s, 64 kps rips, .wma to some degree. There was time everyone was watching movies that could fit on a CD - < 700 mb .avi files. Saw Akira and Requiem for Dream that way in college, downloaded them from DC++ via a super fast intranet server. (It was shut down a couple years later)

But otherwise it's an era I missed out on. I love reading about the various formats people came across in the nascent days of file sharing. Digital lo-fi music as a format is talked about very little among people, perhaps it will crop up in the future. 

Back when I was starting up joyrex.com, there was a great website (that for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called) but it had all the early pre-ICBYD Aphex releases on it (with audio samples in RA) and that was the first place I found out about Boards of Canada, Pan Sonic, etc. - they had a proto-message board that people would post info about these groups on, and I soaked it all up.

#31 Alcofribas

Alcofribas

lvsh m9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts
  • 23 topics
  • Joined 05-December 05

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

in 1998 my cd player broke and my dad gave me his old record player and took me shopping for digital vinyls. i found a promo for mbm's "prime audio soup" which had the incredible boc remix on it and it blew my mind. a month or so later i got my a new cd player and went to a local cd store in chicago called "evil clown" where my uncle worked and i was telling him about the mbm 12" and he was like "hmmm...hold on one sec" and went into the back. he came out with mhtrtc which was an import from teh uk (evil clown had a lot of imports). he was like "here man, you can have this." my life was completely altered by this event. still one of my favorite albums ever. listened to it a couple weeks ago and it was still like "wtf this is incredible."

#32 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/adoomedventure
  • PSN:Rabovenk

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

Someone explain the blue pixel bird?

#33 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,174 posts
  • 179 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:40 AM

Seek your soul for answers

#34 jasondonervan

jasondonervan

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • 16 topics
  • Joined 11-April 18

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

The very same bird that brought me stuffs like Old Tunes, Disengage (Boc Maxima), and mislabelled trax purporting to be Squarepunter ('Drum and Bass 2000', lol)

Oh man, going by the comments in this vid, looks like I wasn't the only one to be hoodwinked by late 90s poorly labelled filesharing:

I love that it has persisted to the point of being a long-standing youtube upload that remains incorrectly named, years after the fact. To be fair it was actually a pretty decent dnb track! Gives me a chuckle to think I used to consider it a Squarepusher effort for a good handful of years until the penny dropped.

#35 manmower

manmower

et in arcadia ego

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 23-January 08

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:13 AM

Someone explain the blue pixel bird?

IfJzymz.png

#36 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

:facepalm: @self

Edited by Gocab, 07 May 2018 - 12:59 PM.

#37 doorjamb

doorjamb

bodes well

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • 34 topics
  • Joined 15-December 08

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

Yeah! I had one of those Creative "Rio" digital music players, and it could play RealAudio files - I remember having the 1st Aphex Peel session at 128kbps... and not much more on it!

419ZZJ2KCVL.jpg

Yes! Mine is in a drawer somewhere. Thing only held one freaking album; I used to endlessly loop the Urchin s/t (incidentally also 1998)

#38 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,248 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:riven, cum town, purple camo
  • PSN:ohm_sweet_ohm

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

my first listen was on a flight to cali as the sun was setting. absolutely nothing intentional about it, had never listened to boc before, but clearly remember looking out the window at the light dipping behind the rockies as those kicks came in on telephasic workshop. lush boc style.

Edited by dr lopez, 13 May 2018 - 05:30 PM.

#39 NewSchoolScience

NewSchoolScience

hello

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • 15 topics
  • Joined 02-March 08

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

my first listen was on a flight to cali as the sun was setting. absolutely nothing intentional about it, had never listened to boc before, but clearly remember looking out the window at the light dipping behind the rockies as those kicks came in on telephasic workshop. lush boc style.

That sounds like it was fucking glorious.

#40 o00o

o00o

In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,216 posts
  • 362 topics
  • Joined 28-March 06

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

from fb: 

WRCuY1b.jpg

yxUqPNm.jpg

Ovviexi.jpg

#41 YELLOW

YELLOW

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 13-May 07

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:39 PM

Was recently in Banff for a vacation, you know I had to stop by Mt. Norquay...

2_A2_F7941_3810_4_A35_8_C7_B_10_A2328_C9

#42 Tricone RC

Tricone RC

ow bist old butt

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • 22 topics
  • Joined 24-September 14

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

Chinook (the Aquarius B-side) is still the best BOC imo

#43 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:59 AM

Knick-knacks of Canada

#44 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08
  • Interests:Being smooth

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:26 AM

Those shirts are horrid. Phudoshin could do better

#45 mokz

mokz

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • 37 topics
  • Joined 08-August 11
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/omzk
  • 3DS Friend Code:3351-4161-1506

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:40 AM

I bought the MHTRTC CD from a local record store without ever even hearing BOC. I'm gonna guess this was probably around spring of 2000 based on the memory of where I was listening, sitting on a bean bag chair, window open, sun shine on the wall and me wondering that what the hell is this now. I ended up carrying the CD around with me to play to friends. I can't remember what compelled me to buy it though.

#46 phudoshin

phudoshin

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • 208 topics
  • Joined 09-January 06

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:57 PM

bocsit

Attached Files

#47 yek

yek

MIDI received.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,937 posts
  • 746 topics
  • Joined 14-March 02

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:12 PM

I bought the MHTRTC CD from a local record store without ever even hearing BOC. I'm gonna guess this was probably around spring of 2000 based on the memory of where I was listening, sitting on a bean bag chair, window open, sun shine on the wall and me wondering that what the hell is this now. I ended up carrying the CD around with me to play to friends. I can't remember what compelled me to buy it though.

Sounds like my story as well. I probably bought it because of the groovy cover.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Boards of Canada, Music70