IGNORED

Peter Gabriel

marf

• 5 months later...

It's not enough that he kills it musically. He could handily rest on those laurels. His lyrics are some of the sharpest takes on the human condition, which puts him on god tier musicianship. My dad has a huge CD collection as you do by age 68 and I'm giving it the EAC what.cd treatment for great justice.

I revisited "So" after ripping. I was 6 when it came out so I just thought the stop-motion videos were cool. I can't believe what a tune "Big Time" is. I can't speak too competently on music theory but the verse chords have a "sour" note and rise in action, which mirrors the tension in the lyrics. When he figures it out for the chorus, they resolve into that funk that is so addictive. By the end, it gets satirical e.g. "my head's getting bigger!!" and he brings back a single sour hit amidst the resolved funk; like coming back to square one despite your attempts to outdo everyone. It's just really fuckin smart and effective and, ironically, his satire came to pass because he did go really big time after that album.

Anyway, I guess I could drone on but WATMM already gets it. Huge Genesis/Gabriel fans anyway so it's masturbatory at this point.

Yeah Big Time is one of those songs that you can tell was written by a prog musician. They always write the best pop imo.

I really hope he makes another album someday, but he seems to prefer putting out just one song every few years. What a tease!

Archived