Best Session 4 Track?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Best Session 4 Track?

• frane casual
    • mirrage
    • column thirteen
    • shimripl casual
    • all end

an ending, leaving, the unsolvable problem of separation and death are our greatest problems, to us humans especially... all end shows that quite nicely. that track faqs me hard but so does death

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol how do u ppl keep reading all that existential mumbo jumbo into the ending of bladelores now all of a sudden?? i can't remember ppl going "oh it's like the essence of life and death" back when exai came out.

man srsly it's that dang title and the idea of ae splitting up isn't it? just imagine it being called it casual gonk... there ya go. happy end.

(sorry if i'm hurting anyone's feelings. i'm not out to denigrate anyone or anything, i just have a hard time managing my bewilderment)

lol how do u ppl keep reading all that existential mumbo jumbo into the ending of bladelores now all of a sudden?? i can't remember ppl going "oh it's like the essence of life and death" back when exai came out.

man srsly it's that dang title and the idea of ae splitting up isn't it? just imagine it being called it casual gonk... there ya go. happy end.

(sorry if i'm hurting anyone's feelings. i'm not out to denigrate anyone or anything, i just have a hard time managing my bewilderment)

u need to read more of my posts then ;)

titles dont affect me, epecially when it comes to ae

bladelores imo deals with same feelings but all end just magnified that x 4 million

imo

also, ppl see what they want to see... if you feel/think about traffic signs while listening to all end that's your life. i dont think about them very often 

also2, way would samtex&ronque named a track casual gonky traffic sign if they had an ending in mind if they wanted to emphasize an ending? would and should they be dishonest and misleading deliberately? 

bladelores was always one of my favorites from Exai but I don't even know anymore. I listened to it a couple times yesterday and it seems to have almost been neutralized by all end. It just came across as a rough draft that sort of meanders and beats around the bush for awhile before giving a brief glimpse of the full realization of itself that all end ultimately represents. I mean I can still appreciate what makes bladelores unique but it comes across as almost superfluous now which is an odd sensation since as i said, it was one of my favorites. Maybe i'll come back around on it after awhile.

What different makes how old the source material is?

come at me with arguments of recontextualization and other art talk as much as you must, it's still the ending of bladelores stretched out to an hour period.

If your mind is already made up and you've simplified it to this, then just let me be the first to congratulate you on a great position to have for an Autechre track that's literally 3 days old.

Firstly, to be fair, I believe people were saying all sorts of existential things about the ending of bladelores back when it came out.

That aside though, while they begin almost identically, and all end has a very similar sound all throughout, there are undertones and overtones that are not present in bladelores that give this track an incredible emotional coloring to me.

Like, I get how someone might think it's literally just the ending of bladelores looped for an hour, but I really think you're missing the subtlety there. For me, those subtle colorizations make the difference between a track that sounds like ascending to the heavens, and a track that sounds like the world is over. The tone is really incredibly different despite the surface level similarities.

come at me with arguments of recontextualization and other art talk as much as you must, it's still the ending of bladelores stretched out to an hour period.

If your mind is already made up and you've simplified it to this, then just let me be the first to congratulate you on a great position to have for an Autechre track that's literally 3 days old.

actually i don't feel like my mind is made up about it, in fact i'm actively struggling. maybe i'm even subconsciously fishing for counterarguments with my negative blurbs to find something that'll win me over.

i understand if i come across as a knob but about what i said: ain't it the truth, at least in a technical sense? is it really me simplifying or other ppl overanalyzing giving their favourite artist the benefit of doubt?

quite some people (including myself) said having "lower" (or other/none) expectations the 2nd time through helped their apprectiation of it. is this really a good thing? dunno.

Firstly, to be fair, I believe people were saying all sorts of existential things about the ending of bladelores back when it came out.

lol, actually you're probably right. come to think of it i'm quite prone to hyped up hyperbole myself.

YO GUYS i will give it more chances but i highly doubt it'll ever top even one of the other tracks on this release in my estimation, if only for the fact that it'd feel like a flat out disrespect towards the actual effort that went into those.

actually i don't feel like my mind is made up about it, in fact i'm actively struggling. maybe i'm even subconsciously fishing for counterarguments with my negative blurbs to find something that'll win me over.

i understand if i come across as a knob but about what i said: ain't it the truth, at least in a technical sense? is it really me simplifying or other ppl overanalyzing giving their favourite artist the benefit of doubt?

It's not the truth in the least. Listen to yourself. Would Ae take the last 2 minutes of a track, loop it for an hour, and say 'cool, yeah, that's it, watmm will love it.' Of course that's not all there is to the track. Continuing to even suggest that is pure trolling or pure stupidity, I'm leaning towards the latter as you're admitting that you're fishing for counterarguments (imo trolling). You're not stupid, I don't think you are, but you're sure coming across like a knob, yeah. Don't like the track all day, that's fair, sure, no problem. If you had any logical reasons to describe why you don't like the track I'm sure you'd get some great discussion. "it's just bladelores ending for an hour" isn't a good reason because it's false. It's really that you're oversimplifying the track, yes...

I'll shit on Ae for being lazy in a heartbeat (see my elseq 'reviews' lol) but this track is the opposite of that. It's a slow burner and isn't for everyone, nor something I'd sink into very often, but there's a lot in there. A lot. More than probably any of us currently realize because...again...the track is 3 (4?) days old. You don't have to love it yet (or ever) either, ya know, just shut up and give it time, eh? I say that with kindness. Everyone's super hype right now which is great but also, maybe a track like that, an hour long deep ambient excursion, deserves some time to sink in and hit you at different moods? Maybe not, ultimately, of course, maybe it's just not for you, but don't be a troll in the meantime. :)

bladelores was always one of my favorites from Exai but I don't even know anymore. I listened to it a couple times yesterday and it seems to have almost been neutralized by all end. It just came across as a rough draft that sort of meanders and beats around the bush for awhile before giving a brief glimpse of the full realization of itself that all end ultimately represents. I mean I can still appreciate what makes bladelores unique but it comes across as almost superfluous now which is an odd sensation since as i said, it was one of my favorites. Maybe i'll come back around on it after awhile.

To me, bladelores sounds like slogging your way up a steep hill, getting gradually more tired the further you get, and then just as you're about to give up/expire you reach the summit and get to enjoy the breathtaking view as the sun sets. all end is just the view bit - it lacks the same narrative. Not saying it's worse, just that they're different things and neither renders the other obsolete IMO.

Would Ae take the last 2 minutes of a track, loop it for an hour, and say 'cool, yeah, that's it, watmm will love it.' Of course that's not all there is to the track.

yeah that's what i wanna believe, too, as i expressed here:

y'know what? fuck me! they obviously sat on loads of shit your common watmmer would crap their pants over (onesix, probably still loads from back in the day) but they decided to loop dat fucking end of bladelores and make it the grand finale instead because they loved the idea and they did it.

i'm sure the inclusion was a heartfelt decision. the more it aches me i can't see past its superficial simplicity atm.

You don't have to love it yet (or ever) either, ya know, just shut up and give it time, eh? I say that with kindness.

will do... this was my intention anyway but i kinda lapsed seeing the poll results. your kindness is appreciated and i apologize to anyone whose enjoyment of the track i might have bothered with my ramblings. i'm not trolling on purpose.

Everyone's super hype right now which is great but also, maybe a track like that, an hour long deep ambient excursion, deserves some time to sink in and hit you at different moods? Maybe not, ultimately, of course, maybe it's just not for you, but don't be a troll in the meantime. :)

right! this occasion should be celebrated, it's not everyday you get 7 8 hours of original chre in a freakin month! this time was and is completely amazeballs and i shall refrain from tainting it with my nitpickings from now on, promise! :)

edit: BTW I FUCKING LOVE BLADELORES!

in context to individual enjoyment or even "cultural relevance"? none i guess. in context to the thought of it being an addition to their oevre? well it's been there before and not only as a source material but pretty much "as is", so... yeah.

yeah art is not sports and maybe i am a superficial cretin but ae also always was about craftsmanship (i doubt they'd deny that) and i just don't see much of that here as much as i'd like to, sorry.

First of all: that I doesn't agree with you, or I try to question your statements, doesn't mean, I would think, you would be "superficial" or "a cretin". I never said that, I never tought that, and I never would. Peace, bro!

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with Exai, I only heard it twice (in a nutshell: I was a big Ae-fan between '97-'02, but then I abbandonned it and turned back to it only two months ago), so the familiarity of the both tracks doesn't affect me that much. (We have in Hungary a saying: for a newborn every joke is new - that could fit for my case now, I think)

To me, bladelores sounds like slogging your way up a steep hill, getting gradually more tired the further you get, and then just as you're about to give up/expire you reach the summit and get to enjoy the breathtaking view as the sun sets. all end is just the view bit - it lacks the same narrative. Not saying it's worse, just that they're different things and neither renders the other obsolete IMO.

Logically what you're saying makes perfect sense and in fact I told myself the same sort of thing, but the way I hear the track changed despite all that. I'll listen more later on when i'm home. It could easily just be the excitement and newness of NTS temporarily drowning out my appreciation of the familiar.

right! this occasion should be celebrated, it's not everyday you get 7 8 hours of original chre in a freakin month! this time was and is completely amazeballs and i shall refrain from tainting it with my nitpickings from now on, promise! :)

edit: BTW I FUCKING LOVE BLADELORES!

:beer:

and yes I also fucking love bladelores, as everyone should. :)

in context to individual enjoyment or even "cultural relevance"? none i guess. in context to the thought of it being an addition to their oevre? well it's been there before and not only as a source material but pretty much "as is", so... yeah.

yeah art is not sports and maybe i am a superficial cretin but ae also always was about craftsmanship (i doubt they'd deny that) and i just don't see much of that here as much as i'd like to, sorry.

First of all: that I doesn't agree with you, or I try to question your statements, doesn't mean, I would think, you would be "superficial" or "a cretin". I never said that, I never tought that, and I never would. Peace, bro!

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with Exai, I only heard it twice (in a nutshell: I was a big Ae-fan between '97-'02, but then I abbandonned it and turned back to it only two months ago), so the familiarity of the both tracks doesn't affect me that much. (We have in Hungary a saying: for a newborn every joke is new - that could fit for my case now, I think)

all cool man, didn't want to put words in your mouth, i probably just don't like myself thinking that way.

also: dude, you got some catching up to do! :) L-event ist great, too!

I've just now compared the two: the ending of bladelores and all end, and yes of course there are obvious similarities, but I see a lot of differences too. Even the sound is very different imo: bladelores has a vocal feeling for me, just like a celestial choir would be fading in ina bright, angelic chord - all end has on orchestral or organ-sound for me, has this triumphant effect, and becauso of some hamonic shifting in the middle some menacing aspect to - both of them lacking from bladelores for me, wich is more comforting and uplifting on the other side.

At least this is how I perceive the two pieces.

BTW: I see all end as a big coda to shimripl casual  (or perhaps to ALL NTS sessions), so it has the same function and the same basic idea as the ending of bladelores. But on a much bigger scale. 

EDIT: and I think 'big scale' is something that is in focus of Sean and Rob in the last years (at least since AE_LIVE). Time is an important factor of every music and it takes a lot of creativity to fill it up, to make longer sections work. So, I think it's a great achievement, that such a long "coda" as all end, works.

lol how do u ppl keep reading all that existential mumbo jumbo into the ending of bladelores now all of a sudden??

It's quite funny, srob could troll us, let their neighbor boy make their music and WATMM still would go for existential ejaculation action.

lol how do u ppl keep reading all that existential mumbo jumbo into the ending of bladelores now all of a sudden??

It's quite funny, srob could troll us, let their neighbor boy make their music and WATMM still would go for existential ejaculation action.

Only if they live next door to a fucking alien...

=P

you guys are fucking nuts. after all of what we were served you are going to argue about the last .125 of it? There is so much to sink into. The version of them that every fan wanted is all over it in spades. They just just shat all over everyone. Maybe take some time with it.

I think the criticisms of all end are legitimate, I can understand why it would be frustrating to expect an hour of brand new Autechre music and instead you get an hour of something that is already familiar to your ears. I'm not saying it literally *is* just the end of bladelores looped for an hour, as many others have pointed out it's much more than that, it has many subtle fluctuations and changes. But that doesn't negate the fact that it's overtly familiar to the listener's ears...part of the appeal of Autechre imo is how fresh and different each new release is.

That being said, I think those criticisms are legitimate, but I think the track succeeds in spite of that. If you can take a moment to set aside that this is bladelores' ending an imagine it as its own thing totally divorced from that, I think that you'll see it has so much to offer.

I also think it's just way too soon to pass final judgement on any of this music, at least for me personally I like to listen to an Autechre album like at least 10 times before I can really articulate any coherent thoughts on it. It just needs to properly absorb into my brain first

Archived