• frane casual
    • mirrage
    • column thirteen
    • shimripl casual
    • all end

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect Shimripl and frane's clarity of field depth might draw me in for repeat visits most often. The worst track on NTS4 is still wondrous, whatever it happens to be.

Imagine you go to a 1hr Autechre gig at some club and they play 1hr of more or less the same drone sound. I would enjoy the reactions

Yeah but guess the equivalent would actually be an 8 hour Ae gig and that being the last hour (which would be awesome!)

I love All End and it works perfectly for the end of this massive album.. But if instead of NTS sessions Autechre had said we have a new album coming and it turned out to just be All End I would have been disappointed.

Context is important and I think the lads appreciate this.

Imagine you go to a 1hr Autechre gig at some club and they play 1hr of more or less the same drone sound. I would enjoy the reactions

Yeah but guess the equivalent would actually be an 8 hour Ae gig and that being the last hour (which would be awesome!)

I love All End and it works perfectly for the end of this massive album.. But if instead of NTS sessions Autechre had said we have a new album coming and it turned out to just be All End I would have been disappointed.

Context is important and I think the lads appreciate this.

Yes, I agree. I would appreciate an 8hr gig

I love the swells in volume throughout all end, if you are listening on a huge system it is fuggin incredible.

I've only been able to listen on headphones lying in bed. So for the most part I've been going in and out of various sleep states.

Looking forward to having a chance to bang it through the system.

The convoluted as fuck panning/stereo field is amazing too. It's like piled up noodles and hairpin bends, thousands of them all happening at the same time.

Anyone notice the occasional bits of bitcrushed clipping too? Where the mix hits the edges of the track's space.

Only my second time listening to all end, first time was during the stream on NTS, so this is my first time with high quality listening and....wow. I'm only 11 minutes in and it's so overwhelming. There's so much going on. The pulsing and cutting of the chord stream is the most obvious perhaps, but the cello/low bass sound slowly rolling out a line that's there but still very much buried, pretty surreal how they're able to do this so well. I'm gonna get a bit ridiculous here but it's just extreme control and manipulation of sound in ways I've rarely heard other artists do: so recklessly and boldly, simply mixing things in and out perhaps but it's all so pummeling and so relentless. Right at 16:00 when there's these big swells in cello in the mix, with the rest falling out momentarily, it's so fucking rich.

So dense. It's like an onslaught. Like floating in calm waters and spinning at light speed all at once. All seeming to ramp up to the 25-26 minute climax part, cellos wretching out almost detuned or just sick and dying almost. Fucking hell this track man. 27:15 or so there's this higher chord that sweeps in and sorta calms everything down as the bladelores chord starts cutting out more and more then finding a new level to settle into. Cellos lose their lower register but keep at it. It's all mixing together into this amber grey dulling, like it's starting to decay and die right at 30:00 for just a few seconds. The constant push and pull and swell and subside is really quite compelling. 

The convoluted as fuck panning/stereo field is amazing too. It's like piled up noodles and hairpin bends, thousands of them all happening at the same time.

Yes. Just constant feedback loops of delay and reverb it feels like. I've been doing a lot of shit like this with my hardware and software and I've gotten similar results (in the way it's all interacting, not the quality of sound or track) and it's really wild sometimes, I often can't control it and have to reign it back somewhat. This is all so unrestrained, it's just a beast lumbering and breathing and screaming. 

I'm getting stupid so I'm gonna shut up. But, really. There's so much in this track. This is only my second time listening to it, but it's maybe the most emotionally engaging (and taxing) thing they've ever done.

I have been trying something a little different with all end.

Try playing it...

quietly.

so far my fav method is skipping, listening for 10 sec every 10-15 minutes, like:

iiiii..............................iiii...............................iiii................................................iiii.................iiii........................................iiii.......

there's a lot more layers and activity in all end than in bladelores ending. and the duration is a significant part of the experience. dunno how anyone could spot any freshness anywhere by taking such an unnuanced view of things. edit: whoops there's another page

Finally have a chance to listen on speakers. Going to take the session in chunks.

So different from headphones. That's true for all the sessions but most marked with 4.

Column thirteen so good

After numerous listens... I think my favorite Session has changed from 3 to 4.

These 5 songs are just... ...

Trying to come up with the right words and I'm just... speechless.

If all we got was Session 4 as the new album, I would have been one happy little AE fanboy...

Lucky for all of us, it wasn't...

But... Phew...

Yup... Can't. Find. The. Words.

=X

frane casual is officially underrated, not that I'd vote it #1 (column thirteen by a large margin) but it is an amazing track. It's the lounge jazz cousin of xflood.

I just now brought column thirteen to tie with all end in the poll. The latter seems to be dependent on your real life situation. I don't think all end is suitable as driving music, but I could see it work for meditating at home or to lull (not lol) yourself to sleep.

Mostly been watching Jasondonervan's Tokyo video with All End, not sure whether I'll be able to separate the two lol

The shimripls are amazing, would love to hear more chunks of sound from their world

Column Thirteen. It's like taking a nice warm bath with a disassembled engine.

same here BUT...

"all end" is one of the best drone ambient pieces I've heard in awhile - I feel like it's up there with Hecker or Basinski or even Fennesz and those guys put stuff out like that once a year tops. For Autechre it's a fucking track off a 8 hour album set

Archived