• all end

I just lolled remembering a comment from the livestream:

Around 4:00 of column thirteen

'sean puffing on a spliff and casually hitting the kick drum in the background'

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of low register weirdness happening about 9-12 minutes in column thirteen, reminds me of nineFLY's gutturals. And of course the track as a whole is reminiscent of Oversteps...lots of shared blood from Oversteps through NTS, live sets included obviously. ~10 years of this, honestly a bit surprising they've been in that realm so long. It's still yielding some interesting results though, so not criticizing really...

• 3 months later...

So, why those 5 votes for mirrage? ok, it has that deep Ligetic feeling, but I still perceive it as a preparatory bridge to column 13.

I find instead very pleasant Frane Casual, who does not deserve such a penalized position.

I love how well NTS flows from session to session, and ending it with all end is perfect. can't imagine a more appropriate way to conclude such a massive project.

falling asleep to it is nice, but it definitely fucks with my head. makes me lose all perception of time. real hypnagogic shit.

So, why those 5 votes for mirrage? ok, it has that deep Ligetic feeling, but I still perceive it as a preparatory bridge to column 13.

I find instead very pleasant Frane Casual, who does not deserve such a penalized position.

I don't hear or feel anything Ligetic about mirrage, and column thirteen feels way more out of place (as it has obvious MoT period roots), if it's a bridge it's a bridge to closely related shimripl casual and a tunnel-esque sorta contained one at that, so the architecture doesn't really holds on this session.

It's also a stand-out piece to me coz of its more fragmentary and evading nature. Be it half an hour of the same, my opinion would differ perhaps.

I don't hear or feel anything Ligetic about mirrage, and column thirteen feels way more out of place (as it has obvious MoT period roots), if it's a bridge it's a bridge to closely related shimripl casual and a tunnel-esque sorta contained one at that, so the architecture doesn't really holds on this session.

It's also a stand-out piece to me coz of its more fragmentary and evading nature. Be it half an hour of the same, my opinion would differ perhaps.

It seemed to me to find a kinship between mirrage and the first two minutes of Lontano: even with some differences, the two pieces transport me in the same environment. 

I must confess that, beyond the common quiet adage, from a structural point of view, but also from an evocative point of view, I do not find any particular relationship between Move Of Ten and Column 13. 

In general, I find Column 13 less typically Autechre. It's a good song, but it could have been written by others too. Move Of Ten, on the other hand, is exclusively Autechre.

It seemed to me to find a kinship between mirrage and the first two minutes of Lontano: even with some differences, the two pieces transport me in the same environment. 

I must confess that, beyond the common quiet adage, from a structural point of view, but also from an evocative point of view, I do not find any particular relationship between Move Of Ten and Column 13. 

In general, I find Column 13 less typically Autechre. It's a good song, but it could have been written by others too. Move Of Ten, on the other hand, is exclusively Autechre.

There is a similarity with the first two minutes of Lontano i can agree, yet mirrage goes for a different, more tranquil and falsely static state, non-intro unlike in Lontano piece. I found it similar to Radiation by Pan sonic through one mate's suggestion, if we exclude tremolo-esque character of mirrage.

I hear a lot of echoes from MoT/Oversteps tracks in column thirteen's timbres, reverb, melodic meandering structure etc. Mostly from iris was a pupil & no border segment of MoT and bits of some others. Well, try to play these two and column thirteen in a row, if you won't agree, perhaps it's not obvious at all then.

There is a similarity with the first two minutes of Lontano i can agree, yet mirrage goes for a different, more tranquil and falsely static state, non-intro unlike in Lontano piece. I found it similar to Radiation by Pan sonic through one mate's suggestion, if we exclude tremolo-esque character of mirrage.

I hear a lot of echoes from MoT/Oversteps tracks in column thirteen's timbres, reverb, melodic meandering structure etc. Mostly from iris was a pupil & no border segment of MoT and bits of some others. Well, try to play these two and column thirteen in a row, if you won't agree, perhaps it's not obvious at all then.

Yes, Pansonic's radiation and Mirrage gravitate around the same atmosphere, I could say that both songs tend to a certain isolationism, which makes Mirrage - at least for me - a rather generic song: it could be, just for example, a more careful and contaminated by the contemporary, of some typical passage by Lull (Mick Harrys).
I think that's why I put it more like a bridge, an NTS4 phase, than a real piece. You know, Autechre pieces can reveal unsuspected personality after time: who knows that one day I do not change my mind about Mirrage.

When I return home, in a few days, I will try to compare Iris and Column: reverberations and timbre may have a kinship, but by mow, i feel the arpeggiated course, which makes Column an ethereal science fiction scenario, distant from  melodies of MOT...

Archived