IGNORED

Is 90s/golden age hip hop the new "dad rock"?

TubularCorporation

I'd go so far as to say I can't fully appreciate most popular music until it has turned in to Dad Rock. When it's new it's harder to overlook how awful the marketing hype, hardcore fan base and artists themselves tend to be. It needs to age and ferment a bit before I can really experience it on its own terms.

I’m sure it is in a way. But a lot of new hip hop is so disposable and if you want actual good beats and bars, then dad rock it is.

Definitely disposable. I guess because it's so abundant now that its value has diminished in recent years. But I guess there are few exceptions, like Run The Jewels, that steadfastly maintain their root influences. Most of them just copy each other.

Drake, Migos, Young Thug, etc. I have friends with otherwise (imo) varied and deep and excellent music taste who listen to this stuff a lot. I get the "fun" appeal on the surface but I'm still baffled how much discussion and hype is poured into these guys. People literally write and tweet about people talking about people talking about Drake (or Kanye or Cardi B, etc.)

It's literally about the discussion of music and their careers more than the music itself. Back in the early-mid 00s I feel like you could still call stuff like a crunk mindless crap while enjoying it on face value (i.e. club / banging in the car) but now that stuff seems pretty damn sincere...Lil Jon was self-aware, Lil Wayne could spit, and Soulja Boy at least had his own trademark. Now shit is so goddamn post-ironic and meta that no one can say, call Gucci Gang out for being the vapid creatively bankrupt shitshow that he is.

I know it's like cliche as fuck to say I like Kendrick Lamar a lot as a liberal white dude but I applaud the guy for just being straight up.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/track/cyprus-hill-captcha-bridgeport-connecticut

there was an insane backstory to the title of this track, like I don't really know their financial situation they still probably get a lot of gigs but like joking to make ends meet they form a deal to appear in CAPTCHAS it's a photo of cypress hill holding up random captchas like a MAN ON FIRE proof of life photo. the photos would have the same vibe anyway

I'd go so far as to say I can't fully appreciate most popular music until it has turned in to Dad Rock. When it's new it's harder to overlook how awful the marketing hype, hardcore fan base and artists themselves tend to be. It needs to age and ferment a bit before I can really experience it on its own terms.

This is true. I never disliked Tool, but I love them now.

Man that commercial is terrible. Dope beats are over NPR as well. Instead of clarinet chamber jazz, the transition music between stories and segments is quite often boom bap.

^ ffs, I just watched it. that basically proves OP's point. that track's come a long way from from when it was a live heater in Chappelle's Block Party.

ugh by posting the like one non ultrabutch 90s hiphop have I established jokez yet

and hanging out a lot in a starbucks with baristas etc near bridgeportct lol

Edit: suddenly findz out ragnar has friends even if mostly just sees who shows up and comraderie with baristas

jokez of kanye thread, scenez and even when was like 7 regardless of orientation realized the absurdity of establishes hetero masculinityingeneral constantly

rambunctious about being power bear

Edit: scene probably has literal bunny who has established hetero

I agree with whoever said they miss the breaks; all those 808s in contemporary stuff leave me cold

read the rules I already said MISS SAMPLEZ flol

oh never mind IT WAS ME haha

all those 808s in contemporary stuff leave me cold

so they give you heartbreak lol

ok kanye there are jokez at times

Archived