IGNORED

Is 90s/golden age hip hop the new "dad rock"?

TubularCorporation

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As both a dad and motherfucking BOB DOBALINA on an idm forum I'm delighted to contribute to this new stereotype.  I mean most of us still like the music we grew up with (at least some of it), rite?  For a genY'r coming of age in a late 80s/early 90s new england burbs the contemporary music menu was pretty much hip-hop (local college radio, Yo!, video jukebox), grunge, metal, or phish.

how the f*ck is this "Dad"?

That's, like, archetypal dad Rap.

edit - Posting a 30 year old track and saying 'how's this for dad music' is exactly what makes it dad music.

you misquoted me ;)

sorry, the use of the word like rather than is a linguistic glitch that scarred me after my time in your nation, its caught on here too & makes me feel ill

besides, you wouldnt listen to Bach & say "this is, like, archetypal great-great-great-great-great-great-great-whateverthefuckgreat-Grandad" music, would you? thats just, like, fkn ageist

Dad House is already 15+yrs old, so this is an appropriation & recycling of a phrase already in the cultural milieu, yeah i typed cultural milieu, twice

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dad%20house

I'd really like to know which Triple 6 Mafia tracks are supposed to be proto autechre if anyone knows btw

not proto autechre you know like coincidental autechre

I can't believe I forgot to mention The Pharcyde earlier. That's like forgetting to mention Black Sabbath as part of the original dad rock

EDIT: This too

allthis stuff is right in the wheelhouse of my youth.

dad rock confirmed.

Same. Still remember 5th grade in Mt. Holly, back in '96. The Fugees were among the Top 5 on locals radio IIRC. And Coolio's Gansta's Paradise and Busta Rhymes' Got You All In Check were among my top jams, as well as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLlZ7mjHPRs

I'm not a dad, but other than that I'm sure 100% of the hip hop I own fits the bill.

Black Star, DJ Shadow, Fugees, Gang Starr, Lunatic, Mobb Deep, Nas, N.W.A., Wu-Tang, and last but not least... The Herbaliser. :biggrin:

Wu Tang being considered dad music kind of blows my mind. but I remember hanging with much younger distant nephews in Toronto a few years ago and they asked me what kind of hiphop I liked and I said Wu Tang and they were like "oh, those guys".

Yeah the only thing different than dad rock is that you can't (or shouldn't) play it around small children. It's like secret dad rock that you play when the kids are at school. Whereas my dad had no shame blasting dad rock at all hours when I was growing up. But then again, that's how I got into King Crimson and Mahavishnu Orchestra, so I'm not complaining.

I honestly really like this it's just cmon even as anime he's shirtsoffconstantly, I thought claymation too but you win 2pac sorry

just snares exists idm diss culture is a thing now lol, richard devine a+ student etc

re: tupac "the play's the thing in which I'll find the conscience of the king", did shakespeare predict trolling

"all the world's a stage" he was predicting the internet guyz not 'omg we live in the matrix nothing is real'

I honestly really like this it's just cmon even as anime he's shirtsoffconstantly, I thought claymation too but you win 2pac sorry

just snares exists idm diss culture is a thing now lol, richard devine a+ student etc

O yeah, good call. My favorite 2Pac piece TBH

I remember my first time in Hawaii back in 2002 they were playing this in a barber shop in Honolulu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juicy_(The_Notorious_B.I.G._song)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Trade_Center_bombing

internetamnesia

google "would a dude talk about the WTC in 1994 and not be nostradamus"

but no saying super nintendo sega genesis randomly somewhere is good stealth notautism

super nintendo sega genesis, did I mention before even in cushy suburbs the kid who owned both a super nintendo and a sega genesis that kid was GOD back then

and like sega genesis music NOW yes but the music was coming out of that tinny speaker or tv speaker lol

playing streets of rage ii on a hifi rags to riches story, true yuzoboy

eehhhh mc hammer but lol this music video is literally barkley shut up and jam gaiden

james brown you think you know zaubers

I said when hammer is going up the stairs to the palace thing that is like literally final fantasy VII camera angle lol

palace scene same soundfont as u-ziq 'scaling' i swear

Archived