Joyrex

Swedish supergroup from the 70's and 80's ABBA have reformed and will have new music out in December, to be performed by their virtual selves (they will be touring as a hologram virtual band) on a BBC programme.

While they have recorded two new songs, they have quickly shot down any rumours of touring or headlining Glastonbury or similar festivals.

what even is that blur or whatever anyway. looks like a 'yamauba'/alienbabby being born

i know the song is devoted to stuff it's just damn they made abba dark as fuck

what even is that blur or whatever anyway. looks like a 'yamauba'/alienbabby being born

It was made for the soundtrack to High Rise.

That film isn't exactly a family movie.

It was made for the soundtrack to High Rise.

That film isn't exactly a family movie.

at the end though it's about a british poltician killed by a hate group or something too, though

Swedish supergroup from the 70's and 80's ABBA have reformed and will have new music out in December, to be performed by their virtual selves (they will be touring as a hologram virtual band) on a BBC programme.

While they have recorded two new songs, they have quickly shot down any rumours of touring or headlining Glastonbury or similar festivals.

Like a hologram of themselves in their youth or some Gorillaz style shit?

Like a hologram of themselves in their youth or some Gorillaz style shit?

I believe in their youth, similar to how they've done Tupac and Michael Jackson hologram "performances" recently.

• 3 years later...

So I've always had a soft spot for ABBA, I used to hear it a lot as a kid and now my own kids are into it.

And they always were great at what they did, and used a lot of electronic stuff.

Exhibit A, this is from 1979. I mean, you know this song already, but just listen to it.

Listen to that bass growl at 0:11, the synths at 0:19, the structure of the song, the strings, the lyrics. Its kind of an obvious point to make but Abba were geniuses.

And I gotta say of the two tracks they unveiled today I absolutely love this one:

On the first listen I was like 'yeah this is an abba track' but on the second listen it really got me - this is grade A pop written by people in their 70s, and its about things that would resonate with people that have got a good four or five decades (at least) of life behind them, themes of return and growth and the past, things you dont normally hear in pop songs. And of course its also all a metaphor for their return. The lyrics are absolutely perfect, and so genuine. And the lovely basslines, and synths, and structure. I'm really amazed at what they've done.

• Like 2