IGNORED

Let's all gripe about this chart

joshuatxuk

LEAD_be57013b-79b1-4ab1-8866-5b187c2e481

Really neat design and I agree with some of the major circles (Aphex Twin of course) but then shortly after seeing Morton Subotnick so damn big for no reason I looked closer and started to SMH relentlessly.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Techno, house, electro and drum n' bass luminaries are too small or absent. David Guetta and Deadmau5 shouldn't be on there. Nor should Singh either, he's great but he didn't influence anyone since he was only discovered out of obscurity decades after putting music out.

flush9eoqk.png

Limited edition, made to order, £80 plus shipping. Shout up if you want one.

Put me down for two.

flush-var12oek.png

Can I interest you in the variant? £20 extra.

No way am I ordering one without getting some details on the paper/cardboard quality. 

I too lolled at the Flying Lotus placement

This is like an aestheticised version of this fucking awful /mu/ taste charts

Yeah the first thing I thought when I saw this was /mu/

I too lolled at the Flying Lotus placement

This is like an aestheticised version of this fucking awful /mu/ taste charts

Yeah the first thing I thought when I saw this was /mu/

Yep. Regurgitated opinions form the basis of /mu/ taste charts and listacles. It's getting so out of hand that new artists and bands are in turn sticking only to trendy influences of the past. 

where is jeff mills? von oswald and ernestus? robert hood?

yet jamie xx, hot chip, and brian wilson are

george martin and george harrison being on there in addition to the Beatles is even more evidence or redundant needless inclusions that point to some weird bias of the creator

Where's Frank Zappa, the most widely heard musique concrete artist of all time?  I didn't see Negativland, either. Or Emergency Broadcast Network.

Hell, where's Ned Lagin? If this is supposed to be about the history of electronic music you'd think the first person to do major live performances with microcomputers would make the cut since that's, you know, of historic significance.

Silver Apples but no 50 Foot Hose.

White Noise but no United States Of America.

These aren't obscure artists or anything, they're some of the key figures in electronic music's transition from academic to popular.

Those are all rhetorical questions of course.  This chart is microbloggers smelling their own farts.

EDIT: also I might have missed some things because there's only so long I want to stare at that thing, with all due respect to jushuatx's original post I think it's ugly as fuck, strains the eyes and hardly communicates the information it's trying to communicate.

Who the fuck is Morton Subotnick? Isn't that the guy out of A-ha?

Or the baddie from Sonic?

I knew his name reminded me of someone else!

He's important, so is Pierre Schaeffer, but it's absurd they are emphasized over others. It's just for convenience I guess. Some many still missing: Bruce Haack, Bebe and Louis Barron, Raymond Scott, etc.

Oh, maybe I missed him but I didn't see Mario Davidovsky in there.

Though to be fair, he stopped working with synthesizers in the early 70s and maintained that everything possible in electronic music had already been done by then.  But he's still as important as Morton Subotnick.

Oh, and I didn't see Pauline Oliveros in there, either.  The fuck is up with that?

Archived