IGNORED

Let's all gripe about this chart

joshuatxuk

Where's Frank Zappa, the most widely heard musique concrete artist of all time?  I didn't see Negativland, either. Or Emergency Broadcast Network.

Hell, where's Ned Lagin? If this is supposed to be about the history of electronic music you'd think the first person to do major live performances with microcomputers would make the cut since that's, you know, of historic significance.

Silver Apples but no 50 Foot Hose.

White Noise but no United States Of America.

These aren't obscure artists or anything, they're some of the key figures in electronic music's transition from academic to popular.

Those are all rhetorical questions of course.  This chart is microbloggers smelling their own farts.

EDIT: also I might have missed some things because there's only so long I want to stare at that thing, with all due respect to jushuatx's original post I think it's ugly as fuck, strains the eyes and hardly communicates the information it's trying to communicate.

Also, where the fuck is Wendy Carlos?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, maybe I missed him but I didn't see Mario Davidovsky in there.

Though to be fair, he stopped working with synthesizers in the early 70s and maintained that everything possible in electronic music had already been done by then. But he's still as important as Morton Subotnick.

Oh, and I didn't see Pauline Oliveros in there, either. The fuck is up with that?

She’s actually on there, but it’s still terrible

It'd be interesting to know if there was any rhyme or reason for the position, size and choice of electronic component with the associated artist.

It'd be interesting to know if there was any rhyme or reason for the position, size and choice of electronic component with the associated artist. 

A brief history of Electronic music set to a circuit diagram of a theremin

Tells you all you need to know... right?

I would guess someone read an I troductory textbook on the history of electronic music and supplemented it with hipster-party name drop semi-obscure artist.

Whatever the basis for it, it's all very, very orthodox.

I've actually seen this for sale in a record store in Manchester I think. I don't think it's trying to be accurate, it's just like a Wordle thing populated from some chat somewhere probably.

We should make our own.

all house gets is frankie knuckles... and then daft punk. meanwhile hawkwind ---> the beatles lol

no thomas dolby or prince as far as i can tell.

also last small one, if you're going to the pains to put david tudor and pauline oliveros on there but then leave off alvin lucier... whoops.

chris ott made this chart

The purpose is to upvotes on graphic design blogs/Reddit.

yep

I remember quitting reddit years and years ago (I've since gone back on) because I griped about this take on 'dubstep' and was downvoted to all hell by fans of bassnectar

chris ott made this chart

lol

he would of added µ-Ziq, I can say that for sure

I could see this showing up in a photo of someone's stereo system. On the wall above the turntable, Stratocaster on a stand in the corner and sneaker clad feet planted on the coffetable next to a frosty glass and microbrew bottle.

This reminds me of when a coworker at an old job called late 90s and newer Neubauten "coffee table experimentalism."

This is "coffee table musicology."

Not really fair though, because the coffee-table era Neubauten is still pretty good. The label is pretty accurate though; I remember when Silence Is Sexy came out my mom heard it and said "what is this?  This is good, it sounds like Leonard Cohen" and she was right - it does.  But Leonard Cohen is pretty good so no harm, no foul.

Ishkur should finally update his guide. Kept going back to that for the lols back in the days.

Ishkur should finally update his guide. Kept going back to that for the lols back in the days.

He's supposedly still working on it. Loved that site. Had some absurdly biased write-ups and way too much fluff on certain subgenres but the flow made and layout made sense. Was a really good source for me when I started really getting into electronic music. 

Has to be dated as fuck though, in a cool way, lots of interesting time capsules there like the obscure microgenre speedbass and genres like illbient no one talks about anymore. He literally slagged off all 2-step garage which is hilarious because that spawned so much hyped music of the late 00s - dubstep, 'post-dubstep' future club / bass, etc. - all from a genre he introduces as "fucking boring"

unless i'm missing something whoever made this included liars and jamie xx but left off biosphere, meat beat manifesto, aleksi perala, mike paradinas, fennesz, oval, all of footwork, all of dub/minimal techno, steve reich...it really is like if someone's entire knowledge of music comes from /mu/ charts and needledrop vids. 

agreed. it's clear this person doesn't actually like electronic music, just people who use synthesizers. and then they took intro to experimental composition in college.

Do you even know what generative music in max msp is? *scoffs*

- Father of 3 before being served with divorce papers

Archived