IGNORED

Autechre - NTS 1-4 - reviews

wredny

• 5 weeks later...

just noticed that the highly anticipated george starostin review of NTS is up. i've never seen anyone so willing to write multiple essays' worth of words about a thing they admit they don't even like or understand at all. dude is a total enigma to me.

The Sam Byers piece was really good. Writing about music and dancing about architecture and all that, but this was an interesting read indeed.

Edit: Sam, not Same. Damn you autocorrect

Edited by rhmilo

This georgey what's his chops is an odd twat from what I can tell. All the other reviews I bothered to look at on his site are old shit. Why would I listen to a chap who's apparently suffering from the common trap of only being able to get a brain buzz from shit logged in teenage memories.

Edited by donquixote

I keep getting sucked back to the first track -- the ominous intro and how it goes on to casually mutate throughout the course of its 11 minute duration

Absolutely, that intro before the drums kick in is like a load of Autechre war planes flying overhead dropping their NTS payload onto us unsuspecting civvies. Lovely stuff.

Absolutely, that intro before the drums kick in is like a load of Autechre war planes flying overhead dropping their NTS payload onto us unsuspecting civvies. Lovely stuff.

lol, dont think i had ever turned it loud enough to make this connection, but yes that is what ill be hearing from now on. kitty-bomb at 3m

Edited by Marked x 0ne

• 2 years later...

It's been four years and people still can't help but rag on NTS Sessions (and elseq 1-5 for that matter) regarding their lengths. Okay...don't listen to it all in one go. Problem solved. I don't think "too much of a good thing" applies to music that you can listen to as much or as llittle of as you'd like. For some reason it bugs me... enough to bump this thread after it being dead 3 years.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, splesh said:

It's been four years and people still can't help but rag on NTS Sessions (and elseq 1-5 for that matter) regarding their lengths. Okay...don't listen to it all in one go. Problem solved. I don't think "too much of a good thing" applies to music that you can listen to as much or as llittle of as you'd like. For some reason it bugs me... enough to bump this thread after it being dead 3 years.

Well, it was presented as a four part thing where each instalment works individually on its own so I don't think it was ever meant to be listened to in full.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

Well, it was presented as a four part thing where each instalment works individually on its own so I don't think it was ever meant to be listened to in full.

I think the fact that it was all released at the same time (well, originally broadcast days apart from physically released at once) means that it is perceived as a self contained release.  Film trilogys are released years apart to maximise exposure, spread costs and allow parts to sink in.

Perhaps if NTS 1-4 was released with a couple of months between each show (or seasonally - is part 1 Spring?) then I would agree more. 

The cynical part of me thinks it is one 8 hour+ session that was just cut up into perfect 2 hour chunks in order to fill the allocated NTS broadcast slots.  

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

Im much closer to this interpretation 

• Like 1

Then again there's all end, which feels more like a closer to the 8 hour thing. In some interview Rob spoke about being pleased with people going for full immersion.

Either way, it seems to work both as self-contained releases and a larger scale thing, so it says something about good sequencing. But does it even matter? You can engage with it in whatever way you like.

Why would you self-impose listening rules based on perceived artistic intent, if they're keeping you from listening :)

Edited by eye
  • Like 1

I have never listened to all 8 hours in one sitting.

It is NTS1-4 and I listen to them as either separate releases (on vinyl) or shuffled random playlist via wav.

I guess the question should be, were these sessions commissioned for NTS as 2 hour bundles, or were the sessions selected to fill 2 hour slots...

Without NTS, it could have been released by Warp as Warp1-8 in 1 hour chunks, 6 months apart, maximising vinyl / CD sales etc.... 

Or just digitally as an 8 hour impromptu broadcast via Twitch that only 5 people sat and listened to all of it.  Then maybe someone recorded a bit of it and it ended up on youtube, but most of it was lost forever...

And therefore my point is, the way the music is presented and marketed makes a huge difference to how we (the consumers) perceive it.  

But it's still full of great casual donks, i'm not disputing that...

Edited by Soloman Tump

• 1 month later...