IGNORED

Autechre - NTS 1-4 - reviews

wredny

As the OP said, hopefully this review will bring Ae to a wider audience.

Can you imagine it though, proper baptism of fire! I guess I was lucky in my timing of finding out about Autechre I could 'ease myself in' to their work, if NTS 1-4 was my introduction I'm not sure what I'd think Ae was !

Yeah, I often wonder about that. I'm sure there will be several "Selected NTS Works" mixes eventually, and that might help with the uninitiated. I've already started fooling around with my own lists. 

Let's give voice to Booth, except that "Lynch" is replaced by "Autechre", "film" for "music" and "watching" for "listening": "Lynch is a genius. (...) It is not that you understand what you are watching. (...) But even so, the feeling of watching his movies is damn good. You watch and think: "My God, it's fuckin 'genius!" You do not know what it is, you do not know why, you just think: "I'm fuckin '!"

këk

The fact that "NTS Sessions 1-4" is the duo's least edited album means that we listeners get closer to the process, closer to all ideas that slowly grow up and mutate.

How did this internet person come across that "fact"? By counting the casuals in titles? Did i miss something?

Let's give voice to Booth, except that "Lynch" is replaced by "Autechre", "film" for "music" and "watching" for "listening": "Lynch is a genius. (...) It is not that you understand what you are watching. (...) But even so, the feeling of watching his movies is damn good. You watch and think: "My God, it's fuckin 'genius!" You do not know what it is, you do not know why, you just think: "I'm fuckin '!"

këk

Yeah! The Polish one is quite decent. The Lynch quote comes from an interview they did in 2007: http://www.nowamuzyka.pl/2007/03/01/Autechre-nasza-rozmowa/ [in Polish only but worth translating as susanna &roberta are really talkative]

këk

Yeah! The Polish one is quite decent. The Lynch quote comes from an interview they did in 2007: http://www.nowamuzyka.pl/2007/03/01/Autechre-nasza-rozmowa/ [in Polish only but worth translating as susanna &roberta are really talkative]

Woah, never read that one, quite massive indeed! Interesting to hear em elaborating on the whole "Flac is the actual release" thing... Thanks for sharing!

anyone care to translate the polish one? my polish is -∞

I know, it's not exactly short but also not really long (like my dick)

https://translate.google.com/

anyone care to translate the polish one? my polish is -∞

I know, it's not exactly short but also not really long (like my dick)

https://translate.google.com/

I remember a time when Google translate was pretty much useless for whole texts but I'm surprised that it actually gives a relatively readable result

How do they do it? What do you need to eat, drink, smoke and inhale to do such things? How to teach machines to create music for their own dictation? How to undergo constant transformations, while remaining oneself (eadu mutata resurgo)? How can you create your own electronics genre that is incomparable to anything else?

Sean Booth and Rob Brown apparently know. Often imitated, never duplicated. Geometrically perfect. Impressive, uncompromising, artistically restless. Authors of music, which invariably constitutes a challenge in the face of mundane and vagueness. Their works resemble monumental sound sculptures in constant motion.

The style of these two can not be confused with anyone else - man just knows that it's Autechre after a few notes. Dense synthesizers, intricately woven melodies or shreds, metallic splinters, arrhythmia, granular synthesis, strong compression, intensive use of digital signal processors. Manipulation of sound at the master level.

Autechre have made changes to their modus operandi. Not everyone gets it, and more than one admirer of the early face of the band gradually dropped out during subsequent experiments. Each album is proof of evolution and exploration. It is no different with the four-part "NTS Sessions", the record of an eight-hour (!) Session for a London radio station.

The material is a logical continuation of the previous, equally colossal album - "elseq 1-5" (2016). It sounds like a casual, half-improvised jam born in an alchemical creative scarf. It is very intense, sometimes even noisy. But there is no lack of moments when it seems that they never take off their throat and they pop out with soothing ambient.

One could, of course, dwell on individual works, point to references to the past (good news for fans of "Draft 7.30" and EPs "Goz Quarter": a lot of such atmospheres here), compare and try to find sophisticated metaphors. But why? In this case, writing about music really resembles dancing about architecture.

Those who consider Autechre to be pretentious weirdos will not change their minds after listening to "NTS Sessions". Those who perceive them as genius innovators will be confirmed in their conviction. But let no one have doubts that Booth and Brown did it for loyal fans. No, they did it for themselves. As usual. Bloody geniuses.

Listen to the string and loud, very loud.

The fact that "NTS Sessions 1-4" is the duo's least edited album means that we listeners get closer to the process, closer to all ideas that slowly grow up and mutate.

How did this internet person come across that "fact"? By counting the casuals in titles? Did i miss something?

It's obviously because the tracks are so long, no one would ever release so lengthy tracks otherwise.

It's obviously because the tracks are so long, no one would ever release so lengthy tracks otherwise.

sure it's a plausible assumption, but still not more than that. personally wouldn't be surprised if quaristice had similar levels of editing, which doesn't mean cutting down exclusively after all.

SAVAGE!!! 

I guess he must have combined 'casuals' with 'idles'. Must be true then.

where are the interviews?

4real. AAApt2, is that what the new site is for Papa Joyrex??? pls

(or of course just regular interviews with hopefully competent journalists would be fine too)

Edited by auxien