IGNORED

Superbooth 2018 : The thread

d-a-m-o

I was absurdly impatient to hear u-he's Zebra 3 but they couldn't make the SB2018 deadline Urs set himself. But eh, patience is a virtue, right?

Apart from that I'm all set really, so anything drool-inducing is a bonus.

Sumu, right? Additive synthesis and FM IIRC, with the usual Madrona Labs take on UI & worflow : should be quite nice :)

Perhaps not as sexy as a new synth, but interesting for all sample users here, the team behind Renoise is showing a new project at Superbooth named Sononym.
Audio-Bass-Berlin-Jonas78-1524935430.52.
From the presskit;

"Sononym is a sample browser that utilizes machine learning to offer new ways of exploring and discovering audio on a hard-drive - no internet connection required.

The primary innovation in Sononym is something called "similarity search", which enable users to find similar-sounding samples in their sample collection based on any source sound. Essentially, a bit like how google's reverse image search works, but with audio and more control. The software has been built from the ground up to facilitate similarity search, but will offer most of the features that you would expect from a modern sample browser: feature extraction (audio analysis), searchable and sortable file/results views, and a streamlined user interface.
The software will be available for Windows, Linux and OSX. More details on availability, pricing, etc. will be announced shortly."

What I can tell from my own experience alpha'ing this baby is that it works great deep scanning sample collections, automatically recognizing, categorizing stuff like bass sounds, leads, snares, cymbals, pads, loops etc etcetera. No need to browse through countless folders and preview sounds searching for a particular class once you have so called indexed your sample folder in Sononym. Elements like sample length, rms value, pitch, bpm, brightness, harmonicity and more become available for inspection, being able to sort & collect the results and perhaps the most powerful attribute of Sononym; be able to look for similarity between sounds. A search function which you can finetune controlling the amount of similarity a sound should have based upon parameters like spectrum, timbre, pitch & amplitude.

It has offered me a more fun & creative way of searching through sounds, either using it in a deliberate way, be able to look for similar amplitude characteristics of a breakbeat across folders (getting similarly spaced transient results across categories) to randomly comparing sounds, realtime adjusting filters dragging sounds into my daw of choice. 

More info here; http://www.sononym.net/

^I get what the Sononym software is doing, and it does seem pretty useful for many of us who are shit at organizing, but I'm confused by one omission (you may not be able to answer of course): is this a separate VST, or just a part of Renoise? The only thing referencing this is "...to bring the Sononym experience to even more platforms." So I guess it's not available outside of Renoise for now? Just curious really. Seems useful.

Anyone looked at the norns piece of gear from the monomer guys yet? I'm thinking it's something like a Nord Micro Modular for 2018 (I could be totally wrong, a lot of that programming side of stuff goes over my head). Not exactly Superbooth specific, but it just got announced so whatever.

The uAcid8 is fucking cheap (and tiny) and maybe could be interesting? That company is doing some cool stuff. https://twisted-electrons.com/product/uacid8-pre-order/

Also curious to hear this FM synth: http://www.fingersonic.com/products/synset-fm/

.. is this a separate VST, or just a part of Renoise?

Not part of Renoise, not a vst, this is a standalone application available for osx, linux & windows platforms.

^I get what the Sononym software is doing, and it does seem pretty useful for many of us who are shit at organizing, but I'm confused by one omission (you may not be able to answer of course): is this a separate VST, or just a part of Renoise? The only thing referencing this is "...

to bring the Sononym experience to even more platforms.

" So I guess it's not available outside of Renoise for now? Just curious really. Seems useful.

Anyone looked at the norns piece of gear from the monomer guys yet? I'm thinking it's something like a Nord Micro Modular for 2018 (I could be totally wrong, a lot of that programming side of stuff goes over my head). Not exactly Superbooth specific, but it just got announced so whatever.

The uAcid8 is fucking cheap (and tiny) and maybe could be interesting? That company is doing some cool stuff. https://twisted-electrons.com/product/uacid8-pre-order/

Also curious to hear this FM synth: http://www.fingersonic.com/products/synset-fm/

Yeah norns looks promising ! Monome always deliver !

The only people who care how authentic an 808/clone/sample sounds are douches. Enjoy the music or don't. Write good music with it or don't. Lots of great music has been written with 808s, yeah, sure, cool, okay, but at this point it's much more about impressing other musicians (douches) and spending money (I bought 4 different 808 hardware clones, let me tell you about why they're not as good as the OG!) or making money (Behringer/Roland) than making good music. Same with 303s really.

Edit: not everyone who wants an 808 to sound like an 808 is a douche, but people who only care about how 'authentic' it is but aren't actually writing good, useful, interesting, distinct music? They're douches. And I think almost everyone I see online talking about 808 authenticity falls in that category.

oh god another fing 808, monosynth, rehashed analog etc

that renoise file thing is the last thing id ever want....they should get on an integrated (fm, wavetable, additive) synth or a new version of renoise

still waiting on madrona for some imagination

<3 Medusa <3

Just watched the Sonicstate video with the Polyend guy detailing this synth. Fucking wild piece of kit...first of all I dunno that they'll be able to do that for 999 like they're saying they're hoping for. It almost worries me that they're just throwing everything at the wall with it though and maybe it could end up being just a mess. Didn't hear much bad in there but I also didn't hear much good...obviously still months away from final though.

I only watched like 5-10 minutes of the video, but the workflow on it looks really simple and intuitive.

I only watched like 5-10 minutes of the video, but the workflow on it looks really simple and intuitive.

you should watch 'til he explains the grid IMO. coolest part of the synth

The only people who care how authentic an 808/clone/sample sounds are douches. Enjoy the music or don't. Write good music with it or don't. Lots of great music has been written with 808s, yeah, sure, cool, okay, but at this point it's much more about impressing other musicians (douches) and spending money (I bought 4 different 808 hardware clones, let me tell you about why they're not as good as the OG!) or making money (Behringer/Roland) than making good music. Same with 303s really.

Edit: not everyone who wants an 808 to sound like an 808 is a douche, but people who only care about how 'authentic' it is but aren't actually writing good, useful, interesting, distinct music? They're douches. And I think almost everyone I see online talking about 808 authenticity falls in that category.

:catbed:

It's probably the most conservative thing in here but I can't help but be interested in Behringer's Odyssey clone:

I've had a thing for Arps since I first started paying attention to this stuff as a kid in the 90s, though, so it's a special case.

EDIT: not that I'd get one even if I had the money when it came out, but I like that they're doing it.  Looks much nicer than the Korg one and will probably cost less (and won't have the design mistake that breaks the envelope repeat and needs surface mount rework to fix).

strictly for my D.O.U.C.H.E.S.

Archived