IGNORED

Superbooth 2018 : The thread

d-a-m-o

I've got no serious interest in modular stuff, but if money was no issue ever I'd probably buy one of these systems just to try it out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiXot91gLB2/

Erica Synths Techno System if you don't wanna click the link.

https://youtu.be/zmpr642GAbc

https://youtu.be/VseeWSyFCRU

That 101 clone sounds terrible.

Looks like he's got the LFO all the way up on a triangle wave for the duration.

A lot of the clones they've announced use the CEM3340 for the oscillator like the originals.  There's a lot more to synth voicing than just what ICs are used, but It'll be interesting to see if they get close to the Roland filter (IR3019).

That 101 clone sounds terrible.

Looks like shit too. I hate the way they just lazily masked the dot pattern on the logo instead of building it out of whole dots like the original.

Also fuck glowing pitchbends - what is the point?

The only people who care how authentic an 808/clone/sample sounds are douches. Enjoy the music or don't. Write good music with it or don't. Lots of great music has been written with 808s, yeah, sure, cool, okay, but at this point it's much more about impressing other musicians (douches) and spending money (I bought 4 different 808 hardware clones, let me tell you about why they're not as good as the OG!) or making money (Behringer/Roland) than making good music. Same with 303s really.

Edit: not everyone who wants an 808 to sound like an 808 is a douche, but people who only care about how 'authentic' it is but aren't actually writing good, useful, interesting, distinct music? They're douches. And I think almost everyone I see online talking about 808 authenticity falls in that category.

100 % ok with this, I can understand the appeal of a clone but what's the point if you're not using it for producing dope music ? also a dumb copy of something that was released 30 years ago ? what is the point ? the re 303 is an example of good clone : sound right like a 303, this is the same circuitry and components but they add a better internal sequencer, midi in and out, line in and other improvement (ok it's DIY) but you can have one for half the price of an original 303 and it is a better machine. 

lol at elektron for pushing back overbridge again and again, they screwed up badly, but the fanboys are ok with that so I guess it's fine...

Haha yeah I saw that Cenk chat with Nick from Sonicstate. Totally just trying to damage control really...quite sad. Elektron made their own problems with all that shit, ultimately.

Guest Chesney

I have no interest in overbridge. Elektrons sound better recorded straight out the main outs, anything else just gives you too much option which ultimately means you never get anything with feel or most probably... finished.

I understand wanting to record the A4 tracks individually but there are ways.

Guest Chesney

Nah, the new boxes are the replacements just more focussed versions. MD will always be my favourite machine.

still no md or mnm mk3? no hope... faq this planet.

It really is a bit odd that they haven't yet done this. Maybe sales weren't actually that strong? As soon as they got that bigger company investing in them and announced they'd be releasing a lot of new devices over the next few years, I assumed a new MNM or MD would be the easiest bet: idea and hardware/software basically all already there, just update it and add some stuff, boom. They tried some new stuff, which is great for the sake of it (lots of love for two DTs from everyone, just not too interested in them personally). . .definitely trying to go for the mid-range end of the market right now with the last few new boxes anyway. The Mk2s of Rytm/A4/OT seemed pretty pointless to me, none of them did much really different. If they made money though I guess is all that matters, from my perspective just seems like it caused them more headache than anything (re: Overbridge issues, frozen Rytms). All we fucking want is new shit in the old form factor and maybe a new MNM or MD for the future. We will throw money at you.

Amma afraid theyll just continue to release box-per-synthesis-type-or-method digies for the next 20yrs...then well have it, maybe:

Digisubtractive

Digiadditive

Digiformative

Digigranular

Digiconvolution

Digiverb

Dididelay

Digitape.delax

Digilowpass

Digihighpass

Digirobovox

Diginamm