IGNORED

Childish Gambino

Eggs

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good track, i thought this comment is very ironic :"The room is WHITE where all this is going down. Because america is controlled by whites." 

Great stuff, Atlanta second season has also been very good. I doubt his part in Solo a Star Wars Story will be his crowning achievement though.

Agree the video is great. The song is decent on its own I guess. But there's no denying that Donald Glover is a talented motherfucker in many facets. 

This is America is the first track of his that I've (knowingly) listened to. I don't like the Southern-influenced crap flow and rhymes, but rhyming and flowing appear to be largely dead in a lot of new hiphop. it's a fun track overall and I like it, but I wouldn't find personal replay value in this stuff I don't think.

edit: but hey, at least the beat's more interesting than that cookiecutter 808-based shit these days :cisfor:

This is America is the first track of his that I've (knowingly) listened to. I don't like the Southern-influenced crap flow and rhymes, but rhyming and flowing appear to be largely dead in a lot of new hiphop. it's a fun track overall and I like it, but I wouldn't find personal replay value in this stuff I don't think.

edit: but hey, at least the beat's more interesting than that cookiecutter 808-based shit these days :cisfor:

this one was impressive imo

theory: the majority of new hiphop is not actually hiphop but rather a conscious effort to make music that has its soul in other genres but is simply couched in the language of hiphop. e.g. Uzi makes rock, Yachty makes pop, Migos do... whatever overrated shit they do.

hiphop, as a way of doing things, influences people more widely now than hiphop in the oldschool sense of the genre. it's a style now.

hip hop is just a vocabulary at this point. it's as meaningless as rock as a classification. and old school hip hop is as dead as rock. 

didn't care much for the track or video. love atlanta, best thing on tv.

In retrospect having the song being as shallow as it is was perfect for the video. He's strongly mocking current rap here. Wish he had incorporated some fake face tattoos though.

penis-1998-prank-2018-rapper-32385683.pn

Never really listened to the Childish Gambino much, but that was a great video, song's not bad either but the video itself definitely outshines the actual song. There's some strong imagery and subtle messages hidden in many scenes of the video, poignant stuff.

If the message is that black people are disposable and that we're too distracted by social media and all that see it, it was pretty on the nose. And a pretty tired message at that... If it was anything else, I might've missed it. Who is this video addressing anyway?

Archived