IGNORED

Childish Gambino

Eggs

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know why 2nd amendmant nuts are so pissed, the guns were really handled with care after use.

This is America is the first track of his that I've (knowingly) listened to. I don't like the Southern-influenced crap flow and rhymes, but rhyming and flowing appear to be largely dead in a lot of new hiphop. it's a fun track overall and I like it, but I wouldn't find personal replay value in this stuff I don't think.

edit: but hey, at least the beat's more interesting than that cookiecutter 808-based shit these days :cisfor:

this one was impressive imo

Damn, that is a great tune  with masterful/entertaining production.  I'm interested.

it was pretty on the nose.

Yeah, that's the phrase that came to my mind too.  I thought it was an amazing vid from an artistic perspective though.  

It's good. Like people have said, the video is the real shit. I think the song is just there to provide a platform for the video.

I dont think the message is played out, because if you pay attention, folks have been talking about this shit for a while, but most people in america are still ignorant as fuck about current social issues for people of color. So I dont think it hurts to beat that drum and bring people's attention to it. The video is not subtle; you cant just enjoy it as pop rap and completely ignore the commentary. But it doesnt scream calls to action in your face either, so it's not an immediate turn-off to normys, like a lot of political rap is. I think that's the art of it. It's misdirection - "ooh look, flashy dancing! Wait, what's going on in the background?"

Very click-baity without being in-your-face like the Joyner Lucas vid (which is very good, but I think backfires for a lot of people, as the first verse and thumbnail lead you to believe it is actually some racist white supremecist bullshit)

I'm sorry I just don't get the appeal.

Perhaps the political message sells it but music-wise the only thing I found interesting about modern "hip-hop" was beware by death grips and then what X did. Everything else just feels like shittier and shittier versions of those ideas.

edit: imho

dude is fucking hilarious too. not sure how much of a hand he had in writing the skits he was in on SNL but seemed like he was probably big part of them. they all had this absurd bend to them and were acid in some ways and totally satirical.  i hadn't lol'd that hard at SNL episode in a long time. 

"this is america" is pretty damn catchy.  i like he has something to say. there's substance and art. 

The video was directed by Hiro Murai, who directed the also excellent video for Flying Lotus & Kendrick Lamar's "Never Gonna Catch Me". I felt like the similarities were there in the style (and those dancing kids--I wonder if they're the same), so I checked it out on IMDB and sure enough. 

Just revisited that Childish Gambino video again (second time viewing it), and damn, it's good. 

The video was directed by Hiro Murai, who directed the also excellent video for Flying Lotus & Kendrick Lamar's "Never Gonna Catch Me". I felt like the similarities were there in the style (and those dancing kids--I wonder if they're the same), so I checked it out on IMDB and sure enough. 

Also directs Atlanta. Quality season finale btw.

An older lady (early-mid 60's) in a choir I sing in brought the video up last rehearsal.  She's like "have any of you seen This is America on youtube?" and then proceeds to bring it up on her iPhone.  A few people clustered over to watch the first 15 seconds before she thought better of it.  It was pretty funny.  But yeah, this vid seems to be sucking people in like a hot damn.  Nice one CG.

"Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang"

this is what I think when he goes hunnid bands, hunnid bands, hunnid bands, contraband, contraband, contraband

I wonder if it's my age showing that I can no longer tolerate triplet-based rapping. evvverrrryyyoonnee now raps on this meter and it makes things too lyrically sparse.

Because you have to compress so many lyrics into like a 12/8 signature, it leaves these long pauses that you have to fill up with random vocalizations like "yuh" and other mumbly things. Bone and Twista really made this work because they had an encyclopedia Britannica volume of lyrics but new rappers aren't that ambitious. Also, I can't help but start going "Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang" and it keeps me from taking anything seriously.

yeah rap sucks

I wonder if it's my age showing that I can no longer tolerate triplet-based rapping. evvverrrryyyoonnee now raps on this meter and it makes things too lyrically sparse.

Because you have to compress so many lyrics into like a 12/8 signature, it leaves these long pauses that you have to fill up with random vocalizations like "yuh" and other mumbly things. Bone and Twista really made this work because they had an encyclopedia Britannica volume of lyrics but new rappers aren't that ambitious. Also, I can't help but start going "Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang" and it keeps me from taking anything seriously.

yeah rap sucks
this but unironically

Archived