IGNORED

Orbital - Monsters Exist

I like this comment:

"Great to have them back,I’ve been a life-long devotee&after a couple of listens(the triple edition);I can say it’s definitely got a feel of In-Sides&Snivilasation;dreamy yet wierd,bright but somewhat ambiguous.They follow their own path and this is why they’re an aquired taste,not mainstream or throwaway.No simple beats or synth arrangements;with Orbital,it’s always a bit odd,misplaced beats&hooks,twisted notes&odd changes that identifies their unique sound&take on the world around us.Guess I’ll be going to see them again…for the umpteenth time.Bring it on!Legends they are,great to have them back as they’re a staple of British music,not just alternative dance music".

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have finally heard the Reoccurring Mix of "To Dream Again" from the HMV bonus disc and am pleasantly surprised that I find it's not pointless. Granted, it's even slightly shorter than the other mix, but while the basic structure is very similar, the production is quite different. The oscillating main part of the mix on CD 2 actually really grates on the ears (especially on headphones) from 1:15 onwards because it is very repetitive and too loud in the mix.

Would not mind hearing this version...sounds more like what I'm looking for, for this piece.

You can listen to that version now on Soundcloud. It's part of their Monsters Exist Launch Party - DJ Set Banquet Records and starts at 29:32.

It's followed by a new mix of "Buried Deep Within" with generic house rhythm track, a dance mix of "There Will Come A Time" ruined by a diva house sample and a dance mix of "Impact" that, while inferior to other versions, at least doesn't ruin it.

Ok -- inspired by the banter on here about Paul, I decided to throw together a playlist based on his albums, loose tracks I have, and some recommendations by you fellows.  Never was a big fan of the overly orchestral stuff on Ideal Condition or the vocal stuff on 8:58, so I left most of that off.  Also he has some remixes that are very cringeworthy (looking at you David Gray), so I left those off too.

That being said, after putting this one together I feel like a have another very strong new Orbital album.  It's been fun to relisten to some of these and discover new stuff like the Culprit mix and Heatwork.  PETROL mix is awesome, but I'll add that to an Orbital playlist. Anyway, let me know what i'm missing.

1. 8:58 - 8:58 (instrumental)

2. Culprit 1 - Tricks (Paul Hartnoll remix)

3. Clarke Hartnoll - All Out

4. Please (remember 1992? PH remix)

5. Patchwork Guilt

6. Gloopy

7. Ignition

8. Jarre - Aerology (remixed by Paul Hartnoll)

9. 8:58 - Broken Up

10. Clarke Hartnoll - The Echoes

11. Old School Tie

12. Heatwork

13. 8:58 - Cemetary (Instrumental)

14. Clarke Hartnoll - Underwater

15. Simple Sounds

Interesting mix. I haven't really listened to the Vince Clarke collaboration properly yet.

You can find my upgraded versions of Paul's solo albums below. I wish he'd also released instrumental versions of the vocal tracks on The Ideal Condition.

The Ideal Condition

1. Haven’t We Met Before?

2. For Silence

3. Simple Sounds

4. Please (Remember 1992? PH Remix)

5. Boot Up

6. Ignition

7. Patchwork Guilt

8. Gloopy

9. Aggro

10. Tricks (PH Remix)

8:58

1. 8:58 – This works better with Cillian Murphy’s spoken words. I wish the music at the end was longer, though. It’s the bit that truly sounds like Orbital, the beginning sounds more like Art Of Noise’s “Moments In Love”.

2. Please (instrumental) – I love the vocal version as well but that’s essentially the same as the one on Paul’s 2007 remix, which I included in the tracklist for The Ideal Condition. So for the sake of variety I prefer the instrumental here as it highlights the differences to the older remix.

3. The Past Is Now (instrumental) – I think the (slightly generic) vocal waters down the beauty of the backing track.

4. Villain (instrumental) – I don’t like the last part of the vocal. Also, the music itself reminds me of Snivilisation and the vocal distracts from that.

5. The Clock – See comment for track 1

6. Risky – Sorry, can’t stand the superfluous dirge that is the “A Forest” cover. This sounds much more like Orbital.

7. Broken Up - A soothing track before the pace picks up again.

8. Nearly There – This has the trademark “Impact”-style chord changes that scream ORBITAL (see also “To Dream Again”)

9. Cemetery – I don’t like the vocal sample but the rest of the song is great. The instrumental ends too abruptly without Murphy’s spoken “Time’s up”, which is a fitting ending to the album.

Ok -- inspired by the banter on here about Paul, I decided to throw together a playlist based on his albums, loose tracks I have, and some recommendations by you fellows. Never was a big fan of the overly orchestral stuff on Ideal Condition or the vocal stuff on 8:58, so I left most of that off. Also he has some remixes that are very cringeworthy (looking at you David Gray), so I left those off too.

That being said, after putting this one together I feel like a have another very strong new Orbital album. It's been fun to relisten to some of these and discover new stuff like the Culprit mix and Heatwork. PETROL mix is awesome, but I'll add that to an Orbital playlist. Anyway, let me know what i'm missing.

1. 8:58 - 8:58 (instrumental)

2. Culprit 1 - Tricks (Paul Hartnoll remix)

3. Clarke Hartnoll - All Out

4. Please (remember 1992? PH remix)

5. Patchwork Guilt

6. Gloopy

7. Ignition

8. Jarre - Aerology (remixed by Paul Hartnoll)

9. 8:58 - Broken Up

10. Clarke Hartnoll - The Echoes

11. Old School Tie

12. Heatwork

13. 8:58 - Cemetary (Instrumental)

14. Clarke Hartnoll - Underwater

15. Simple Sounds

Interesting mix. I haven't really listened to the Vince Clarke collaboration properly yet.

You can find my upgraded versions of Paul's solo albums below. I wish he'd also released instrumental versions of the vocal tracks on The Ideal Condition.

The Ideal Condition

1. Haven’t We Met Before?

2. For Silence

3. Simple Sounds

4. Please (Remember 1992? PH Remix)

5. Boot Up

6. Ignition

7. Patchwork Guilt

8. Gloopy

9. Aggro

10. Tricks (PH Remix)

8:58

1. 8:58 – This works better with Cillian Murphy’s spoken words. I wish the music at the end was longer, though. It’s the bit that truly sounds like Orbital, the beginning sounds more like Art Of Noise’s “Moments In Love”.

2. Please (instrumental) – I love the vocal version as well but that’s essentially the same as the one on Paul’s 2007 remix, which I included in the tracklist for The Ideal Condition. So for the sake of variety I prefer the instrumental here as it highlights the differences to the older remix.

3. The Past Is Now (instrumental) – I think the (slightly generic) vocal waters down the beauty of the backing track.

4. Villain (instrumental) – I don’t like the last part of the vocal. Also, the music itself reminds me of Snivilisation and the vocal distracts from that.

5. The Clock – See comment for track 1

6. Risky – Sorry, can’t stand the superfluous dirge that is the “A Forest” cover. This sounds much more like Orbital.

7. Broken Up - A soothing track before the pace picks up again.

8. Nearly There – This has the trademark “Impact”-style chord changes that scream ORBITAL (see also “To Dream Again”)

9. Cemetery – I don’t like the vocal sample but the rest of the song is great. The instrumental ends too abruptly without Murphy’s spoken “Time’s up”, which is a fitting ending to the album.

The instrumental version of the track 8:58 does have a longer ending. I cut the spoken word part from the other version and put it at the beginning of this one.

Archived