1.Monsters Exist

2.Hoo Hoo Ha Ha

3.The Raid

4.P.H.U.K.

5.Tiny Foldable Cities

6.Buried Deep Within

7.Vision OnE

8.The End Is Nigh

9.There Will Come a Time (feat. Prof. Brian Cox)

10.Kaiju (Bonus Track)

11.A Long Way from Home (Bonus Track)

12.Analogue Test Oct 16 (Bonus Track)

13.Fun with the System (Bonus Track)

14.Dressing up in Other People's Clothes (Bonus Track)

15.To Dream Again (Bonus Track)

16.There Will Come a Time (Bonus Track)

17.Tiny Foldable Cities (Kareful Remix) [bonus Track]

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Digging that single. This will be the first Orbital album I listen to since The Middle of Nowhere.

Agreed that there are diminishing returns on later albums, but there are several great tracks post MoN.

Digging that single. This will be the first Orbital album I listen to since The Middle of Nowhere.

The Altogether is worth a revisit. It's not the standard of their '90s work, but it was a pretty daring attempt to do something very different for them, and I find more than half of it works, and the other half is often curiously interesting. The US version with the bonus disc of 1999-2001 b-sides is tremendous too. Blue is pretty terrible admittedly, other than 'Transient' and 'You Lot'. Wonky is worth a shot, 'Stringy Acid', 'One Big Moment', 'New France' and 'Distractions' are absolutely brilliant.

The Altogether is worth a revisit. It's not the standard of their '90s work, but it was a pretty daring attempt to do something very different for them, and I find more than half of it works, and the other half is often curiously interesting. The US version with the bonus disc of 1999-2001 b-sides is tremendous too. Blue is pretty terrible admittedly, other than 'Transient' and 'You Lot'. Wonky is worth a shot, 'Stringy Acid', 'One Big Moment', 'New France' and 'Distractions' are absolutely brilliant.

I like Tension from The Altogether

'Tension's a good one. It's the second half of the album that falls apart a bit for me - 'Last Thing' is really dull, the 'Doctor Who' theme should really have stayed as a live novelty, 'Illuminate' is probably their worst track, and 'Meltdown' is great but completely out of place on the album.

The Middle of Nowhere is great, but it's very clear that they were beginning to retread ground on it, so The Altogether was them branching out to do something very different. Their first five albums are all fairly epic in scale - long albums with long songs on, often linked together in suites - so The Altogether is basically 11 pop tracks. They also exchanged the breaks and techno of their '90s stuff for a more electro kind of sound. It took me a very, very long time to get into it, because it lacks pretty much all of the Orbital trademarks, but one day a few years ago it just clicked and I've got a lot of respect for them for doing it since. It's as much an admirable failure as a successful experiment, but I don't think it deserves the level of hate it sometimes gets.

I still have no idea what Blue Album is about, though. It sounds like an album an obsessive but not hugely talented Orbital fan would make.

'Tension's a good one. It's the second half of the album that falls apart a bit for me - 'Last Thing' is really dull, the 'Doctor Who' theme should really have stayed as a live novelty, 'Illuminate' is probably their worst track, and 'Meltdown' is great but completely out of place on the album.

The Middle of Nowhere is great, but it's very clear that they were beginning to retread ground on it, so The Altogether was them branching out to do something very different. Their first five albums are all fairly epic in scale - long albums with long songs on, often linked together in suites - so The Altogether is basically 11 pop tracks. They also exchanged the breaks and techno of their '90s stuff for a more electro kind of sound. It took me a very, very long time to get into it, because it lacks pretty much all of the Orbital trademarks, but one day a few years ago it just clicked and I've got a lot of respect for them for doing it since. It's as much an admirable failure as a successful experiment, but I don't think it deserves the level of hate it sometimes gets.

I still have no idea what Blue Album is about, though. It sounds like an album an obsessive but not hugely talented Orbital fan would make.

I completely agree with everything you've just said! And yes, I think Illuminate is their worst one (although I do like their 12" remix of it).

Both Tiny Foldable Cities and P.H.U.K are really nice, by far my favourite stuff from them since Middle of Nowhere. Also that artwork is awesome!

At the same time I still miss the political edge of Sniv (and to a lesser extent, the green album and In Sides). Why aren't they making music about Brexit or the rise of Fascism? Although maybe "P.H.U.K" is a reference to Brexit? Probably... but then why is it so happy sounding? I miss the anger and sadness of those earlier records.

Both Tiny Foldable Cities and P.H.U.K are really nice, by far my favourite stuff from them since Middle of Nowhere. Also that artwork is awesome!

At the same time I still miss the political edge of Sniv (and to a lesser extent, the green album and In Sides). Why aren't they making music about Brexit or the rise of Fascism? Although maybe "P.H.U.K" is a reference to Brexit? Probably... but then why is it so happy sounding? I miss the anger and sadness of those earlier records.

pH (acid) UK?

Yeah, that's something that's been mostly missing this century. There's a touch of it in the use of the Christopher Eccleston speech in 'You Lot', and 2010's 'The Gun is Good' has a really good bit from Zardoz which reflects on the Christian right, but they're the only tracks since In Sides that seem to do that. Hope there's at least something on the album that reflects their punk roots.

Archived