IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Bad Witch

auxien

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like the microphones were actually being physically moved rather than it being a plugin.

could definitely see that being the case, especially seeing as there's that moment midway through where the music cuts away entirely for a few seconds & it sounds like a straight-up field recording of someone adjusting a mic

Yeah that is maybe the coolest use of phase I've ever heard in a song.  It sounds like the microphones were actually being physically moved rather than it being a plugin.

I think it's just a normal phasing/flanging but also synced to the rotation parameter of a binaural panning effect.

that guitar riff combined with the phasing/flanging effect on the guitar is sick!

Yeah that is maybe the coolest use of phase I've ever heard in a song.  It sounds like the microphones were actually being physically moved rather than it being a plugin.  First time that thought has ever occurred to me when hearing a phase effect.  I'm sure it's been done though.  It's something I've always thought about doing but never got around to.

i thought that too, first it sounds mono and far away then it gets "nearer" or bigger, also this moving microphones around in the studio has been a bit of trend the last years for many artists, not sure why .

this moving microphones around in the studio has been a bit of trend the last years for many artists, not sure why .

Probably due to the release of these ambisonic VSTs over the last couple of years:

https://www.waves.com/nx

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/dearvr_music.html

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2017/12/20/sennheiser-release

Yeah that is maybe the coolest use of phase I've ever heard in a song.  It sounds like the microphones were actually being physically moved rather than it being a plugin.

I think it's just a normal phasing/flanging but also synced to the rotation parameter of a binaural panning effect.

That is the most WATMM thing I have ever read

That is the most WATMM thing I have ever read

Heheh yeah that was a rather IDM word combo.

• 4 weeks later...

This has made me go back and revisit the other recent NIN releases, mostly the EPs (of which I'd only listened to once) but also Hesitation Marks. I'm enjoying the EPs! It'd be interesting to create an optimal playlist for the "trilogy" of the EPs and Bad Witch.

This thread on the nin subreddit was a fun read. I went with Shit Spiral hehe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/8ski27/alternate_track_listings_and_the_reasons_why/

The 'Can't Seem To Wake Up' playlist in that thread actually flows as a cohesive narrative quite well.

• 3 months later...

I just listened to this in full for the first time in spite of being past NIN on principle, even when I hear that Trent is producing creatively fresh stuff. it does seem to be a bit of a breath of fresh air. it made me go a bit further back and check out the last few EPs - I like Add Violence as well, Not The Actual Events not so much.

this is a pleasant surprise to me. I'd like to be able to enjoy something of NIN that isn't the same old rehashed emotions but born of something new and more nuanced - more adult, to be honest - and this seems to deliver that, at least on initial hearing. the post-Fragile stretch all the way up to and including Hesitation Marks (not counting Ghosts, different thing) didn't give me that at all which is why I tuned most of it out. if he keeps on this track and goes somewhere new it might draw me back in as a regular fan again.

• 1 year later...

Hey, this is still pretty good!  Lovely sonically rich instrumental passages, and his voice being haunted by the ghost of David Bowie is p cool too.  Hope he continues down this path at some point.  I listen to so much music so gradually these days, I think I only just completed my fourth listen?  Maybe fifth?  Anyway, these last 3 EPS have rekindled my interest in NIN, moreso than anything else post-Fragile.  Good isolation music.

I can recommend revisiting Ghosts. It's definitely not all killer no filler but there are some excellent tunes to be found (which I found to be all part of the fun). Spotify is your friend with albums like this.

Year Zero also has half a dozen or more gems within it's running time.

Last 3 or 4 months I've been on a Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross exploration, revisiting old albums and listening to all the soundtrack work. It's been fun.

I wish Trent would do another full-on instrumental electronic album, sans soundtracks, and his wife.  The good stuff from Ghosts still gets a spin in my car from time to time.

Archived