IGNORED

Bass in Space

xyz888

“I have composed very few pieces of music as short as ten seconds before, and given the very low bandwidth available, I was obliged to carefully consider what kind of musical materials would produce a satisfying result under these constrained conditions. Simplicity seemed a wise policy, so I decided to use just one instrument, and make sure the majority of the frequency spectrum was below the Nyquist frequency, which is the limit of what can be represented at a specific sample rate -in this case 3200 Hz. The electric bass seemed a good choice, and again keeping simplicity in mind, I chose a primarily melodic route with very little polyphony that I was afraid would get lost in the lack of bandwidth. Beyond the harmonic framework, the piece audibly contains sonic evidence of human touch, which I felt was a good thing to send towards the stars.“

https://www.sonarcalling.com/en/artists/squarepusher/?url=/en/

• 3 months later...

Autechre's from last year sounds cool

Autechre

Track name: P1-449

Sent on 16/10/2017

“The file we sent is the first 449 primes expressed in Hz (with some phase shifting to prevent peaks). Each band is delayed 1/449 of a second more than the last, so it forms a cycle. The fade at the start and end is 1 second exactly and each 1/449 of a second a new band is activated. This is a bit complicated, but we think with the ‘header’ of the transmission they should be able to unwrap it, or at least be able to understand that we do everything in base ten and we know what primes are.”

Autechre's from last year sounds cool

Autechre

Track name: P1-449

Sent on 16/10/2017

“The file we sent is the first 449 primes expressed in Hz (with some phase shifting to prevent peaks). Each band is delayed 1/449 of a second more than the last, so it forms a cycle. The fade at the start and end is 1 second exactly and each 1/449 of a second a new band is activated. This is a bit complicated, but we think with the ‘header’ of the transmission they should be able to unwrap it, or at least be able to understand that we do everything in base ten and we know what primes are.”

They really are gods.

Oops. Wrong forum.

Archived