IGNORED

Laurel or yanny

lumines

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m trying to figure out why anyone would hear yanny without looking up the answer because I can’t figure out why anyone would.

Laurel... laurel

The yanny sound is like a robot croak in the background. So if all you hear is yanny you basically suck

I’m trying to figure out why anyone would hear yanny without looking up the answer because I can’t figure out why anyone would.

Laurel... laurel

This except the opposite. No idea how anyone is hearing Laurel 

i played around with it in ableton and i noticed it's much easier to hear yanny when you chuck the pitch down a little. basically what's happening is when you say 'laurel', the way the air mooves thru your mouth and teeth sounds like 'yanny' and when you pitch the sound down it becomes easier to hear these frequencies. so people whomst've hear yanny are probably younger and have better hearing in the high freqs.

I guess a regular diet of noise is good for the ole lug-oles :^)

Laurel... laurel

i played around with it in ableton and i noticed it's much easier to hear yanny when you chuck the pitch down a little. basically what's happening is when you say 'laurel', the way the air mooves thru your mouth and teeth sounds like 'yanny' and when you pitch the sound down it becomes easier to hear these frequencies. so people whomst've hear yanny are probably younger and have better hearing in the high freqs.

I guess a regular diet of noise is good for the ole lug-oles :^)

the same!

Can someone please write an entire track based on this concept. I want tunes that sound different as I get older

lol this is super cool

I heard Yanny first then I was able to make out Laurel then I was able to hear a superposition

Laurel... laurel

Ya-nny

La-rel

Laurel is lower pitched and in the background, it's like an afterthought to Yanny

edit: wtf now I can't year Yanny anymore even though I distinctly remember -only- hearing Yanny the first few times

I can only hear yanny, and a very well articulated version of it, nothing mumbly or ambiguous about it.  Not sure how anyone's getting R and el sounds out of that... but I'm listening on my lap top and maybe low frequencies are needed to hear this Laurel interpretation.

Ah, I see Zeff above has mention Laurel is lower pitched and in the background.  That explains it.  I'm only getting the high frequency version.

Fuck this is going to loop around in my head as I try to fall as sleep.  Hello insomnia.

Firmly in the Laurel camp, I can't hear yanny no matter how hard I try, even after hearing it in this.

Weird, I came back half an hour later and now it's undeniably Laurel... yet the first time I heard it it was so distinctly yanny, and how anyone was getting R and L sounds out of that was utterly confounding.  I hear yanny whispered overtop now.  Crazy how drastically my perception changed.  Was listening on my lap top both times.

If you're hearing 'Yanny' your brain/ears are for some reason favouring the harmonic overtones caused by the recording and compression artifacts rather than the 'fundamental' voice - https://www.vox.com/2018/5/16/17358774/yanny-laurel-explained

That must be wild, like when hearing a track you'd be concentrating more on things like the room acoustics and resonances than the instruments themselves. Is this why the heat/night debate went on for [way] too long ?

Laurel... laurel

just listen to the pitch shifted version and you'll hear it, at least i did...

btw, went to check the blue vs yellow dress meme, and the first time i saw white and yellow, then i read some lines on wiki about it, and when i looked at it again i saw blue and black, shivers down my spine, wondered if it was indeed a gif, and now i cannot go back to white and yellow, it's pretty fucked up... it's not like the rabbit vs duck thingie, that i can change my perception, but the dress one i cannot if i want...

btw, it's LAUREL, and it's official, i read it somewhere...

laurel: https://s3.amazonaws.com/xxv/x/0x75b636d0

yanny: https://s3.amazonaws.com/xxv/x/0x6841c258

although i don't hear yanny so clearly now as i did the first time i listened to it...

I saw it switch (sudden fade) before my eyes from white and gold to blue and black. I too was convinced it was a gif. Only blue and black from that point on.

Archived