IGNORED

eryngi - the kwem

eryngi

just finished this nineteen minute, one track EP...

THE KWEM https://eryngi.bandcamp.com/album/the-kwem

a2173006811_7.jpg

older releases:

mossy EP - https://eryngi.bandcamp.com/album/mossy-ep

animism - https://eryngi.bandcamp.com/album/animism

green ant sound - https://zzaapp.bandcamp.com/album/green-ant-sound

=)

Really nice track. Percussion and drone sounds are really alive and keep the track moving, some lovely and weird melodies happening throughout. Reminds me a touch of exm's recent stuff melodically, not in a derivative way or anything, just similarly bouncy and careful.

• 3 months later...

i should probably put "mastering" in quotes haha, i don't know what i'm doing.

i used to do some multiband compression but it feels like overdoing it now.. now i concentrate on getting the mix as good as i can beforehand..

so lately just been doing a bit of EQ if needed, followed by smackos tape station (ableton rack plugin thing). i turn off the fake tape noise and warble, and usually turn the lowpass and bias knobs right up (so, not trying to make it sound like tape but just using smackos's compression/limiting).. start by turning boost and compress right down, then turn one and/or the other up as needed. sometimes only slightly, sometimes heavily depending on the track.. cuz i love how it sounds.

then i look at the spectrum analysis and if it's noticeably lopsided, tweak the pre-smackos EQ slightly to even it up (again depending on the track, some are meant to be lopsided)..

sooo basically i use a magic loudness plugin and make actual mastering engineers cry =)

sometimes i look at/listen to reference tracks that have a similar sound to what i want, compare their freq spectrum and try to shape mine similarly. i usually forget tho.

i seem to have totally overdone it on 'ancipital', it's way more squashed and dead sounding than intended..

edit- sometimes for "mastering" i record to cassette, trying out different levels to see how much tape comp/saturation sounds good.. eg 'the kwem' is straight off tape, i liked how it sounded with that. preferred straight digital for mosquito tho..

edit2- oh yeh and i'm doing this on headphones, i don't have studio monitors.. dunno how alright it is compared to proper mastered tracks.. i listen back on laptop speaker, earbuds, crappy car stereo, some 1970s hifi speakers, and my good headphones at the lowest possible volume, to try to step back and get an idea of what it ACTUALLY sounds like as a whole..

I think WaveLab's MasterRig might appeal to you. Unfortunately WaveLab is kinda expensive but I guess you could get it from vstclub.com if it wasn't illegal and unsafe. It's got some really nice multiband compressor, multiband saturation (tape/tube), multiband imager, EQ with possibility of isolating mid and sides, multiband maximizer/limiter and all that stuff. I guess you can really ruin your music with that if you don't know what you're doing lol

yeah too pricey for me, i'm happy enough with wot i got. for now. not too bothered by how technically good it is if it makes my ears happy and isn't WILDLY uncomfprtably different volume level from pro produced stuff..

I use a Waves multi band and limiter on my stuff with a tape emulator. I honestly don't know if it sounds better because of it. I do very little referencing against other music and i really should :/

fwiw your stuff i've heard sounds really good to me!

updated mosquito album...if anyone downloaded it, grab it again. redid track 4 mastering... better..

i added a second bonus track too ;P

can't figure out how to make bandcamp send an email to people..paid feature i guess?

• 3 months later...

This EP is really good... Any sources of inspiration in particular?

Bizzought btw. Thanks for sharing. =)

thanks!! <3

yep, it was specifically inspired by the track Toucan Ocean by Jon Hassell... not that you can tell :) made track 2 after listening to that, then got further and further away but tried to stick to a vaguely tropical island birdy vibe of wind, trees and sea..

Thoroughly enjoyed this. I liked pretty much every track, but I think supersargasso and spiderplant song are my two favorites. You've got quite a knack for creating a specific feel and vibe. Inspiring.

Will definitely be getting some more listens... and looking forward to what you do next :)

• 2 weeks later...

i was listening to Breath Bird again and i'm not really happy with the tape version i'd put on bandcamp.. sometimes get good results recording stuff to tape and back - bit of a silly affectation, i just do it for fun and flavour - but this time i don't like it as much. for whatever reason it's got a nasty high freq edge i'm not into, and instead of just a bit of hiss the tape has this boomy noise floor i didn't notice at the time cuz my ears were very tired. probably shouldn't have used noise reduction, i think i prefer the undolby'd sound..

so i replaced the tracks with the normal laptop versions. download again if you want. sorry for hassle. =)

gotta give myself a cooldown in future and not excitedly upload & release as soon as things are done haha..

question - is going back and changing things bad, do you think anyone would be sad? should i attach the original tape version as a bonus .zip.. or just not worry... any opinions? 

PS thanks very much to the ppls who bought it and who left reviews! <3

thanksyou auxien :) yeahhh i LOVE obsessing over pointless details..for awhile..

ended up just putting a link to a zip of the tape, that'll do.

• 2 months later...

i put a couple new remastered versions of old things on bandcamp for archival purposeses.. defunct aliases..

let's lie on the stars & look at the ground... my first album thing from around 1999.. i'd forgotten most of this til i found a CD at my grandma's place a couple days ago.

https://eryngi.bandcamp.com/album/lets-lie-on-the-stars-look-at-the-ground

a1315119544_16.jpg

cities in thee sun - unreleased album from early 2000s.. of course it was unreleased, everything was..

https://eryngi.bandcamp.com/album/cities-in-thee-sun

a0683732685_16.jpg

oh and i see i didn't post this one here yet - a big 2000s random track dump compilation 4096 SALTS MEGAMIX

https://eryngi.bandcamp.com/album/salts-megamix-00-07

a2038175434_16.jpg

Archived