IGNORED

live streaming thread

modey

I got stuck on trying to figure out a good way to have a monitor mix in my headphones or at least some way to have a metronome on occasionally or audition sounds before I fade them up in the master which would then be the main source for the stream. I wonder if the optical audio in on my old Macbook Pro is compatible with the optical out of the MOTU Track 16. Does the MBP even have optical in or is it out only?

On the other hand I guess I could just use the same PC for streaming, send a headphone mix to some weird outputs and make the streaming software just grab the main master outs.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the (older) MBPs are optical out only.. though I may be wrong—I never used it on mine. 

My little Behringer mixer (x302usb) allows the line/"2-track" channels to be routed to either headphones only or main mix + headphones. That kind of thing could come in handy for what you want to do? With a press of a button, the sound can be transferred to the main mix. I usually use it to mute/unmute parts.

Also just realised I didn't post my latest stream in this thread:

Got retweeted by Behringer but not by Teenage Engineering, wtf guys cmon

It was spontaneous but I think it turned out well. I might do something similar every second Wednesday morning (Melbourne time); just a super improvised, unannounced live stream. I don't have to worry about not many people watching since Youtube saves everything anyway.

You could always get one of those cheap USB audio i/o dongles on Amazon and use it for monitoring.  I used one for years on an old laptop after the cat knocked it off a table and broke the headphone jack, and they're fine for monitoring, probably as good as the actual onboard audio on most laptops really, at least back then. Amazon has a bunch of them for around $8.

EDIT: reply to THawkins

You could always get one of those cheap USB audio i/o dongles on Amazon and use it for monitoring.  I used one for years on an old laptop after the cat knocked it off a table and broke the headphone jack, and they're fine for monitoring, probably as good as the actual onboard audio on most laptops really, at least back then. Amazon has a bunch of them for around $8.

I already have something like that and I would use it, except Ableton Live only supports one audio interface at a time and I don't want to try and hack around that limitation by making a combined one in software using some OS X tricks. Probably it would not affect the latency too badly, but I think I can get my problems solved with messing around the Track16 somehow.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Oh huh, I just assumed it would recognize more than one interface.

You can get a little Behringer Xenyx 502 open-box for $36 on Amazon right now, that's probably the most cost effective way to go.

Ableton Live only supports one audio interface at a time and I don't want to try and hack around that limitation by making a combined one in software using some OS X tricks. Probably it would not affect the latency too badly, but I think I can get my problems solved with messing around the Track16 somehow.

I use an aggregate device that combines my BOSS GP10 (input), Zoom R16 (input), Behringer X302USB (input) and M-Track Hub (output) and it works really well. I don't often use all of them at once, but there are no conflicts and latency is very low in Reaper.

Probably going to be more like mid to late September, these heat waves have been slowing down everything, it's hard to get anything done when it feels like this.

On the upside, I think I know where I can get a VHS camcorder free in a couple weeks, so that's one more option for the camera itself.

Last weekend I even enabled streaming for my YT account and downloaded OBS and everything. It's probably just a matter of a couple of clicks to just start streaming with the visuals being simply a screencast of Live (which is probably really boring to watch).

Ohh just figured I could just have a Skype/FaceTIme call running from my second laptop to provide the "hands on" view.

• 2 weeks later...

I already have something like that and I would use it, except Ableton Live only supports one audio interface at a time and I don't want to try and hack around that limitation by making a combined one in software using some OS X tricks. Probably it would not affect the latency too badly, but I think I can get my problems solved with messing around the Track16 somehow.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

If you don't want to aggregate devices and you have a multi output sound card. Then using Ableton you make a separate buss, send audio from that to the other outs to feed the stream/camera, whilst using the master as your own monitoring device, this way you will be the only one hearing the metro and mix and you can still set up headphones for monitoring.

Last weekend I even enabled streaming for my YT account and downloaded OBS and everything. It's probably just a matter of a couple of clicks to just start streaming with the visuals being simply a screencast of Live (which is probably really boring to watch).

Ohh just figured I could just have a Skype/FaceTIme call running from my second laptop to provide the "hands on" view.

If you have a webcam you can set it up in OBS to show in an inset, and even assign a key to show/hide it or switch it to fullscreen.

If you have a webcam you can set it up in OBS to show in an inset, and even assign a key to show/hide it or switch it to fullscreen.

Also there's a thrid party plugin that lets you control a lot of OBS via MIDI, so you could theoretically have things like camera changes built in to your set..

Thanks for the tips. I actually figured out that my MOTU Track16 has 3 stereo outs, and then I of course remembered why I ended up buying that particular interface: for having a master out, phones out and 2 channels of sends. At this point any challenges to streaming are purely psychological.

• 1 month later...

Did another stream tonight, this time streamed to facebook, and had a friend over to jam with. It was super fun and a bunch of our friends joined in on the chat, which made it feel like a little party!

Youtube link:

I think we're gonna make it a regular thing, perhaps with more people coming to my house on Fridays, having a few beers and jamming.

Still hoping to do this at some point, things have been way to busy here lately to even get started.

In the mean time, after one of my friends finishes this year's EU tour with his band we're planning to do a house show as a duo, film the whole thing on a pair of old cameras and VCRs, and then do a sort of fake A/B roll edit of it (I'd need two more RS232-enabled pro VCRs to do a real A/B roll edit without losing sync, and I've got no budget for that, especially since they're getting a bit more expensive again now that all of the old local video houses around the country have shut down or converted to digital, so the market isn't flooded with all of their old analog gear like it was 5-6 years ago).

So that's something.  Not sure when I'll have time to do a livestream though, maybe late October or November.

I've got the streaming bug as well since I started streaming my Donkey Kong games, so I set up a netbook with a crappy webcam in my studio to stream/record when I'm making tracks. I have it setup through restream.io to stream to Twitch and Youtube. It's good fun!

I record a track at 35:12 and I start a new track from scratch at 41:40, but at the end I forget to save my MnM kit before copying my pattern to another pattern, so I lost the patches I had built.  :cerious: 

Not a huge deal since I still have the sequences saved and will likely improve the patches next time I work on them.

Sounds great dude !

I recognise that other person - were they at Ae or is it just an IDM archetype lol

lol yeah they were at autechre as well

also thanks! gonna post it to hardware jamz now

• 1 year later...

A couple years ago I grabbed a minimal but pretty high quality studio lighting kit minus stands and cords for $20 at a yard sale (two Photoflex Starlite fixtures with new bulbs, three softboxes with cases, and various high quality mounting hardware - all good stuff in excellent shape, no idea why they were selling it so cheap), but there's no way I'm going to run 500 watt tungsten lamps in my apartment forvery long even without the computer and gear on, and at the time I didn't really have any kind of streaming setup anyway, so they've been in the closet waiting while I got the other stuff.

Finally just bit the bullet and got some decent LED bulbs with E26-E39 adapters so I can use them in the Starlites, which means I'll finally be able to start livestreaming from time to time in another week or two (depending on the inevitable shipping delays).

So the question is, what's the preferred place to live stream music these days?  My gut says Youtube, but I'm not really that familiar with Twitch (becasue for some reason I never get very good bandwidth there, so I don't watch much on it because it's always buffering every 5 minutes), but I'd love to hear opinions.

Archived