IGNORED

Aphex Twin at Funkhaus, Berlin (1st November 2018)

jasondonervan

On our way now(: anyone have good tips for record shops??(:(:

If you're still in town, do check out Oye records as well. Nice guys and a very good selection of electronic music. I find their range to be a bit broader than, say, Hardwax's, where the focus is more on the typical "Sound of Berlin".

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone have lukes set? 

so nobody recorded lukes set? :( i wouldve loved to re-listen to it, with all the afx he has been playing

i recorded 1:23 of underground resistance - the final frontier, didgeridoo and fenix funk 5. the recordings are nothing special quality-wise, but during fenix funk 5 luke stopped the music, eliciting a strong reaction from the crowd, which was cute. but i recorded all the wrong vibert tracks. i was dancing way too hard during the rest of his deeply groovy set. whatever banging house track he was playing at 2:25 AM when my friend told me he was tired and he wanted to leave was fuckin incredible. luke had just lit up a joint and there was no end in sight when i left the venue at around 2:45 AM. the vibe was perfect after aphex. all the aloof normies left. there was a chav-esque bro in front of me wearing some sporty sunglasses during aphex and despite visiting the bar several times i managed to find him again during vibert. he was dancing out of sync with the music, clearly under the influence of drugs: truly he was in his own world. ganz lustig. i'll upload the vibert recordings when i have time; i fly home tomorrow morning :((

so nobody recorded lukes set? :( i wouldve loved to re-listen to it, with all the afx he has been playing

As i was coming back from the bar I realized he was playing cordialotron, it's not much and the quality is bad but I am going to upload it.

I also recorded slowed down Vordhosbn ( not all of it ) ad some other moments. It was Mental

[media=youtube]

[/media]

[media=youtube]

[/media]

Cheers everyone

What can I say, it was amazing. The only thing that really annoyed me was that it was way too packed with people, they should have sold less tickets, You could barely move during AFX! Really loved his set though, very dark and techno-ish, even saw him fist pumping or signalising the drops from time to time, was quite funny and I think he enjoyed playing there, although there were technical difficulties and he started a bit later. The intro was magical, pretty sure that was some unreleased AFX. Was nice to see him start with a higher tempo. Also dropped quite some of his tunes. I remember simple slamming, some classic ab and vord hosbn.

Luke after that was very good, also played a lot of AFX, finishing with his classic Digeridoo, We Have Arrived and Fenix Funk 5 Mix! Skee Mask after him played a broad variety of styles for over 2 hours til closing I think, was a nice surprise for me.

Dopplereffekt and Paradox were cool, but the playtime was a bit long. Dopplereffekt was nice to watch performance-wise, but it wasn't really danceable as they interrupted the beats way too often. It was more about soundscapes. Paradox was nice, but after half an hour the jungle over and over again got quite boring.

Also the warmup DJ Luca Lozano did a great job, started with a lot of ambient and finished with a great mix of "Dream 17" by Annette, love that track.

I liked the venue and the sound was fine to me. I'm so happy I had my good earplugs, all sounded good and my ears were completely okay after the night. Don't know how people can stand those volume levels without protection, the ending of AFX's set was a total mayhem!

I may get crucified for this... but I walked out early. It was so overpacked and hot, I couldn't take it. I think I prefer this type of stuff on headphones in a comfortable environment. People were loving it though, and the venue was very cool.

I may get crucified for this... but I walked out early. It was so overpacked and hot, I couldn't take it. I think I prefer this type of stuff on headphones in a comfortable environment. People were loving it though, and the venue was very cool.

I totally understand you, was hard to make it through. But glad I did :-).

I find it bizarre that people found it too packed. sold-out shows are usually at least as busy as that!

there was plenty of space at the back and sides - I walked through the crowd multiple times during the set and my crew got right down the front at the side in front of a speaker with total ease and there was lots of space to dance.

That's a breakbeat track in the background he also mixed in at flow festival helsinki. But either he decided to not mix it in completely or he was experimenting on purpose. Have to relisten to the flow recording...

Ello, I’ve been checking WATMM for over 6 years. I want to thank you all for creating such an incredible environment. I’ve been a huge Aphex/AE fan for around 10 years now. I think I came across drukqs in Woolworths believe it or not. The moment I heard Vordoshbn so much changed for me I’ve been to Cornwall loads to visited the sites from the names of tracks and pretty much spent everyday since listening to his music. I was fortunate enough to travel to Berlin with my girlfriend to see Aphex live, we met 5 months ago and we’ve been in relationship for 3 months, in love also :) but sadly on our way back to the UK, immigration detained her for 12 hours and for 5 of those hours they would not tell me a thing, they treated her terribly, calling her a liar and claiming she was overstaying her visa. we were planning to spend this xmas in Brazil when her visa expires. They would not let her back to her place in London to collect her belongings or money, just kept her overnight without any means of communication. Luckily I was able to get the next flight with her to Berlin so I rushed back to London to collect her belongings then straight back to the airport so she was not alone, she is younger than me but incredibly brave and full of wisdom. We had no money and all my savings were spent on flights and transport etc they even had the nerve to charge my bank for her deportation flight back to Berlin without my knowledge. im self employed and work is super quiet atm :(. My savings were for us to go to Brazil at xmas. They have no empathy or consideration whatsoever. I feel so sick and miss her so much, she is now on a flight to Brazil, and I am on the flight back to London to the same airport I was in a few days ago. I want to scream so bad at the immigration officers. I feel super guilty for not considering the assholes at immigration when I invited her Berlin but also so happy we had the best fucking time dancing to Aphex and hearing Vordoshbn so crisp and loud, was a truly beautiful moment to see her smile so much. I feel super confused and angry but as per usual the music you all discuss on this forum makes me full of hope and inside im sure these problems will resolve themselves once I calm, and music is the key. So thank you once again for just enjoying the music. Take care guys, im always here :)

also Lukes set was so wicked!

Ello, I’ve been checking WATMM for over 6 years. I want to thank you all for creating such an incredible environment. I’ve been a huge Aphex/AE fan for around 10 years now. I think I came across drukqs in Woolworths believe it or not. The moment I heard Vordoshbn so much changed for me I’ve been to Cornwall loads to visited the sites from the names of tracks and pretty much spent everyday since listening to his music. I was fortunate enough to travel to Berlin with my girlfriend to see Aphex live, we met 5 months ago and we’ve been in relationship for 3 months, in love also :) but sadly on our way back to the UK, immigration detained her for 12 hours and for 5 of those hours they would not tell me a thing, they treated her terribly, calling her a liar and claiming she was overstaying her visa. we were planning to spend this xmas in Brazil when her visa expires. They would not let her back to her place in London to collect her belongings or money, just kept her overnight without any means of communication. Luckily I was able to get the next flight with her to Berlin so I rushed back to London to collect her belongings then straight back to the airport so she was not alone, she is younger than me but incredibly brave and full of wisdom. We had no money and all my savings were spent on flights and transport etc they even had the nerve to charge my bank for her deportation flight back to Berlin without my knowledge. im self employed and work is super quiet atm :(. My savings were for us to go to Brazil at xmas. They have no empathy or consideration whatsoever. I feel so sick and miss her so much, she is now on a flight to Brazil, and I am on the flight back to London to the same airport I was in a few days ago. I want to scream so bad at the immigration officers. I feel super guilty for not considering the assholes at immigration when I invited her Berlin but also so happy we had the best fucking time dancing to Aphex and hearing Vordoshbn so crisp and loud, was a truly beautiful moment to see her smile so much. I feel super confused and angry but as per usual the music you all discuss on this forum makes me full of hope and inside im sure these problems will resolve themselves once I calm, and music is the key. So thank you once again for just enjoying the music. Take care guys, im always here :)

Wow what a sad story, i hope you get to see each other again. But at least yo guys danced together at an amazing party and you are still in love :). Welcome btw

Sad to hear this. This intense experience will keep you very connected I think

Super frustrating situation, hope love will prevail

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Little extra texture mixed in at around the 3:00 is interesting

I think it's a partially a woman's voice

Regarding my last post, this is the track Richard was slightly mixing in at the end of Vord Hosbn:

Archived