IGNORED

Aphex Twin at Funkhaus, Berlin (1st November 2018)

jasondonervan

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/20/2019 at 8:54 AM, parameter said:

Heard that Richard got somewhere around $300k for this gig. Probably gets $500k-$1mm for the big festivals. 

I don't know how that would be possible. I'm no good at judging sizes of crowds, but there couldn't have been more than a thousand people there (I would guess there was less than five hundred people there, but let's say so for this here calculation):

$300 000 / 1 000 people = $300 per person

I paid 70€ for the ticket and spent an additional 22€ on beer, let's say the average person spent 100€ (There was no merch on sale that I saw). Let's say $1 is roughly 1€.

Each punter spends $100, but they pay $300 for Richard, so that's a loss of $200 per visitor, and that's before paying for venue, staff, the other artists, advertising...

I don't know why I did this instead of getting five minutes extra sleep tonight but there you have it. ?

On 5/22/2019 at 2:59 PM, Parsifal said:

I don't know how that would be possible. I'm no good at judging sizes of crowds, but there couldn't have been more than a thousand people there (I would guess there was less than five hundred people there, but let's say so for this here calculation):

$300 000 / 1 000 people = $300 per person

I paid 70€ for the ticket and spent an additional 22€ on beer, let's say the average person spent 100€ (There was no merch on sale that I saw). Let's say $1 is roughly 1€.

Each punter spends $100, but they pay $300 for Richard, so that's a loss of $200 per visitor, and that's before paying for venue, staff, the other artists, advertising...

I don't know why I did this instead of getting five minutes extra sleep tonight but there you have it. ?

There was 6,000 - 8,000 people there, from what I was told. 

20 hours ago, parameter said:

There was 6,000 - 8,000 people there, from what I was told. 

Am I really that bad at judging crowd sizes? That number is like if everyone from my home town was at that show. I'm just going to shut up, I'm probably only embarrassing myself ?

But yes, if there where 8,000 people there then if you redo my "calculations" then they would instead be making a ~$62 profit from each visitor (before you subtract for staff, venue, other artists etc).

• 5 months later...

Was a pretty hard set with a lot of weird mixing sometimes lol. I'm currently reconstructing and re-recording the mix for my own pleasure and of course for the people who couldn't attend. Not all tracks 100% accurate but almost (and less FX fuckery). Will post it here :-).

2 hours ago, donquixote said:

Worst and most expensive aphex gig I've ever been to in retrospect. Rich was top notch but was too big and rammed. 

Agree, far to crowded, but I loved the set!

• 3 weeks later...

Id a great bloody time.. went to Berlin with best buddy, me my nephew there and too him raving for first time, totally enjoyed Paradoxes xcrazt baner n jungle, aphex twins liller set and Luke Vibert p;ullig no punches afterwards.... sure it was busy but its fucking aphex and glad it wasn't a festival for  a change!

Also went to Turin after this to see him too.. Good times altogther!

• 5 months later...

(At the end of „Vord Hosbn“ Richard mixed in Cannibal Cooking Club‘s „Meat You“ very subtle. I excluded it because it wasn’t an important part of the mix, more like an experiment before he decided to bring in the next track)

I thought that part was pretty cool actually. Funny what differences people appreciate!

11 hours ago, hijexx said:

I thought that part was pretty cool actually. Funny what differences people appreciate!

Not saying it was not cool, but it was not worth getting that track just to mix in a small loop in the background :-D. Also I'm not always a fan of his "off-phrase-mixing" when he doesn't cue the beat on the 1, but on the 2 or even 3. Sometimes it sounds interesting, sometimes just weird ^^. That was also the case with this "Meat You" loop btw.

Archived