IGNORED

Saddest Autechre track.

NorthernFusion

Vose In is so pretty too, I still can't figure out what's going on with those mysterious glowing chords in the first part. I hope one of those YouTube theory nerds latches onto it and breaks it down.

Lush pæds

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piezo, VLetrmx21, Second Scepe, Goz Quarter, Tilapia, Rae, Pen Expers, notwotwo

Not a fan of the saddest description especially in the sense of "most feels = sad", this game is rotten, but i associate sad with these tracks mostly

If i have to choose one, it's Rae, i reflexively played it at the most emotionally painful moment as the only escape (not as a favourite, just felt appropriate, normally it's a bit of an overkill stylistically), and Pen Expers more often at a bit more dull and drown out melancholic states

Piezo and Nine are an incredible two tracks especially right next to each other, damn geniuses

some tracks on Amber are like BLEAK to me in a way but not 'sad' in a pure sense. Like I said M62 feels like slogging through some afterlife dimension, Japanese version of Hell or something

Agreed, that's my association as well, bleak beauty, not emotional in itself.

Agreed with VLetrmx21, Yuop and all end.

Of the more rhythm-based kind, it'd be drane (Peel Session) and the unreleased live version of Kalpol Introl.

Thanks for mentioning the latter. Was going to bring that up yesterday, but thought it was just an individual thing. 6:55 is one of the saddest moments in their discography when in a receptive mood, very mournful. I'd greatly enjoyed that track for a long while, and during one morning walk that overwhelming moment suddenly hit me between the eyes, gave me an even deeper appreciation.

Not a fan of the saddest description especially in the sense of "most feels = sad", this game is rotten, but i associate sad with these tracks mostly

If i have to choose one, it's Rae, i reflexively played it at the most emotionally painful moment as the only escape (not as a favourite, just felt appropriate, normally it's a bit of an overkill stylistically), and Pen Expers more often at a bit more dull and drown out melancholic states

''most feels = sad'' only if ''feels'' are sad

honestly there isn't a really sad sounding track in their whole discog

a lot are somewhat melancholic and heavy but not plainly sad. AE is more ambiguous than that

They aren't only sad, and I imagine the bulk of us recognise this. They tend to be multiple things, and persistently playful.

like that Skin Up track is a great track, but so many Autechre tracks don't feel like pure enough 'sad' to me, they're just like, what I would imagine some semi-depressing dissociative would be like

Just can't understand some of these picks for sad tracks. I feel like you must be picking them because you were going through sad times when listening to them

I think it's really interesting to see the ambiguity on display here - reminds me how surprised I was by the discussions of SAW2, and that many of those tracks (eg Cliffs, Lichen, Rhubarb, Mould and Blue Calx) have wildly different interpretations.

Obviously we all agree there are Ae tracks with strong feels. The actual responses here, frankly are amazing - I always thought of M62 as a satiated, level-headed track, and the idea of it being dark or scary is totally new to me. Tracks like Piezo, Pen Expers and Drane2 are obvious choices - but are they euphoric, or devastating? And once you have an impression, where does the mood go from there?

idk about anyone else, but this stuff is top-notch Ae thread material. Keep at it.

That's why I said the question was subjective.  I was being fast and loose with the 'feels' tag more than anything else.

Just can't understand some of these picks for sad tracks. I feel like you must be picking them because you were going through sad times when listening to them

I think it's really interesting to see the ambiguity on display here - reminds me how surprised I was by the discussions of SAW2, and that many of those tracks (eg Cliffs, Lichen, Rhubarb, Mould and Blue Calx) have wildly different interpretations.

Obviously we all agree there are Ae tracks with strong feels. The actual responses here, frankly are amazing - I always thought of M62 as a satiated, level-headed track, and the idea of it being dark or scary is totally new to me. Tracks like Piezo, Pen Expers and Drane2 are obvious choices - but are they euphoric, or devastating? And once you have an impression, where does the mood go from there?

idk about anyone else, but this stuff is top-notch Ae thread material. Keep at it.

Some selections have surprised even me, but I was interested to see how many interpret their tracks the way I do.

Turns out not that many.

:cerious:  :catrecline:

Agreed with VLetrmx21, Yuop and all end.

Of the more rhythm-based kind, it'd be drane (Peel Session) and the unreleased live version of Kalpol Introl.

Thanks for mentioning the latter. Was going to bring that up yesterday, but thought it was just an individual thing. 6:55 is one of the saddest moments in their discography when in a receptive mood, very mournful. I'd greatly enjoyed that track for a long while, and during one morning walk that overwhelming moment suddenly hit me between the eyes, gave me an even deeper appreciation.

Absolutely re the synth voice starting at 6:55 - like a faint but constant memory, surrounded by the drumming madness that's tearing time apart.

The formant bassline that keeps insisting on that single note in the first half does it for me - along with those lush chords. Killer track.

Yeah, tracks like Piezo, Draun Quarter, Pir, Rae, newbound, foldfree casual. There's a wistfulness and solemn, bruised tenderness about them.

st epreo is kind of sad sounding in the same way Surripere sounds like some sort of irreversible decay, with a mad glint in its eye.

Also windwind is pretty somber and yulquen, which sounds kind of sad in a cute, shy way. Like a lost kitten.

But yeah, old vletrmx probably takes the cake for saddest Autechre track.

It is a saed & baeutiful world!

For me, it's nofour from Quaristice (Versions). The way sound just dissolves in silence, as if the everything was dying is just breathtaking. It's a headphone track that each time works for me. 

yulquen, which sounds kind of sad in a cute, shy way. Like a lost kitten.

I've rambled about this elsewhere, but that track is way deeper than it seems on the surface. I don't even think it's sad anymore just... remote, I guess.

Archived