IGNORED

Mental Illness Megathread

gmanyo

Some time I think mental health is like mercantilism. There are the haves and the have nots. They say most mental problems can be remedied by talk therapy, essentially positive thinking, but there are already too many people thinking positively, and our attempts continuously prove fruitless. Or maybe all broader happinesses are an illusion, just fleeting moments.

For something to be gained, something has to be lost. I remember a period I had harnessed the power of positive thinking. It got to where I could almost divine the future. But I also had a growing feeling that I was leeching the life away from people around me. I crashed and burned eventually, wallowing in a broken-hearted haze for months and months...starting to function again, off and on lately.

Yeah, I think limitless success is just something that drives people, but it’s all scarce and rare. It’s like fame. If everyone was famous, no one would be famous.

I do think exercise helps immensely though, especially if you do it every day.

Edited by sheathe

Well,, I was diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome as a child. It's relatively mild (no coprolalia for example, not everyone is affected in that way), but was pretty intense when I was young - I would get sudden compulsions to flex certain muscles as hard as I could until they cramped, couldn't stand the feeling of skin-on-skin contact or most fabrics, had tics where I'd have to make clicking noises with my throat, roll my eyes, and other strange behaviors. I was home schooled for a few years because I couldn't handle being in the classroom, but being so isolated from my peers at a young age just compounded the social anxiety and depression I was developing, and made it much harder to adjust when I ultimately returned to public school. I'm much more functional now (Tourette's usually becomes more manageable with age), but I am still affected by certain tics on a very regular basis and retain a lot of strange textural sensitivities. Never been on any medication for any of this, for better or worse.

My drum teacher had Tourette's. He was very jerky, (active) even as an older guy, But he could play the drums perfectly

Edited by marf

I've been through some mad shit, stuff that would make your toes curl. And stuff I'd never tell anyone on watmm, because I like to come here and chat music, and on occasions post pure gobbledygook. It's a strange, eccentric place. Last thing I'd want to do is tell you the darkest corners of my life or mind. 

It was all drug induced anyway. Quit that shit and life got better. As I knew it would.

Look after yourselves.

I've been through some mad shit, stuff that would make your toes curl. And stuff I'd never tell anyone on watmm, because I like to come here and chat music, and on occasions post pure gobbledygook. It's a strange, eccentric place. Last thing I'd want to do is tell you the darkest corners of my life or mind.

It was all drug induced anyway. Quit that shit and life got better. As I knew it would.

Look after yourselves.

Ah cmaaan, tell uss!!

Look after yourselves.

Ah cmaaan, tell uss!!

Yeah forreal breh we gonna need to hear dat

so, ive talked about it on beak a bit but not here, but. my entire fucking brain is consumed with an anxiety so powerful it has become a pinpoint, physical pain in the dead centre of my forehead, and of course, as this has exacerabated itself over the last year, i have to constantly fight my dark thought patterns consisting of ''this is a brain tumor''. anyway friends have said SERTRALINE works. anyone have opinions on it? ultimately i have to do something though because right now my entire existence is completely consumed by a throbbing, palpable fear that resonates from the middle of my forehead and runs through my entire central nervous system like a physical pain that intensifies as my thought patterns spiral into negativaty.

Sorry no advice to offer here but your post was timely because, while not a constant, I seem to get it a lot.

Today I was at a family bbq at my sister's. It's my Niece's bday tomorrow and my Mum just got the all clear after a year of cancer treatment so she was there (lives in Devon) too.

I was there 4 hours but then had to leave very rapidly because I suddenly got intense anxiety that was actually making me gag with nausea, which I was repressing.

Made excuses about being tired and having to be back to work tomorrow and gtfo of there. Instantly felt my stress levels falling as I walked to the station alone with some music playing.

It's weird because I feel maybe I am a bit in denial of how often this happens or if it even happens at all.

Put it down to being unreflective in certain areas of my perception I guess.

i can pinpoint my problems to one serious comedown in work on february 5th 2017. i have been stuck in an anxious feedback loop since then, and at this point ive exhausted my ability to just exercise and meditate. its time for anti-d's. hopefully watmm can give me a bit of help on which ones are useful for pure fear, and not depression, because i dont actually feel depressed, just riddled with fear. 

seems like most people on a forum about idm have social anxiety, go figure.

i mean i rattled MDMA like skittles for 5 years. great 5 years, but my mental health breakdown now is both unsuprising and i would say.. deserved. 

Edited by messiaen

on the plus side, it has got my ass in gear as far as getting ripped goes. unfortunately fixing my body image problem by fixing my body was ultimately completely useless as far as fixing the insidious level of mental anguish my party years caused me was concerned. im bench-pressing 70kg for 5 reps though. hoping to be up to my body weight at 82.5 in the next month. 

i can pinpoint my problems to one serious comedown in work on february 5th 2017. i have been stuck in an anxious feedback loop since then, and at this point ive exhausted my ability to just exercise and meditate. its time for anti-d's. hopefully watmm can give me a bit of help on which ones are useful for pure fear, and not depression, because i dont actually feel depressed, just riddled with fear. 

i mean i rattled MDMA like skittles for 5 years. great 5 years, but my mental health breakdown now is both unsuprising and i would say.. deserved. 

Sertraline works amazing for me. But everyone responds different. Try stuff out . And some Klonopin

anyway friends have said SERTRALINE works. anyone have opinions on it?

MDMA primarily works by rapidly increasing the transmission of the neurotransmitter serotonin to your 5-HT receptors. It is possible that after many years of MDMA use, you may have down regulated some of your 5-HT receptors which are responsible for receiving serotonin and passing it onto the CNS. A SSRI basically works by blocking the reuptake of serotonin which means it sort of holds on to whatever serotonin you have for longer, which increases the amount being transmitted to your 5-HT receptors. Since MDMA does the same thing, and SSRI actually ends up also down regulating your 5-HT receptors. So it might be better to find something that can help up-regulate your 5-HT receptors.

Not deserved, at all:)

I went to a psychologist at university for two sessions only. He was getting his degree and needed to have experience helping people. By the end of session two he had already woke me up to the fact that I could get through this on my own with no anti-depressants, which I did:) He told me to read plays, books or watch movies to put myself in other people or characters situations like mine and to figure it out that way. Never had to go to another psychologist since.

Cannabis has helped me deal with negativity plus I've been in remission from cancer for over 25 years now by consuming it daily.

Have you tried CBD oil. It's legal and can be bought in stores.

Also a trip on shrooms could break the cycle or cluster pains in your head. Psilocybin is a very powerful healing medicine:)

Remember, this is only advice from me personally. You need to ask your Higher Self what is the right answer:)

my Mum just got the all clear after a year of cancer treatment so she was there

That's Awesome news, tell her Congratulations from diatoms!!! :)

so, ive talked about it on beak a bit but not here, but. my entire fucking brain is consumed with an anxiety so powerful it has become a pinpoint, physical pain in the dead centre of my forehead, and of course, as this has exacerabated itself over the last year, i have to constantly fight my dark thought patterns consisting of ''this is a brain tumor''. anyway friends have said SERTRALINE works. anyone have opinions on it? ultimately i have to do something though because right now my entire existence is completely consumed by a throbbing, palpable fear that resonates from the middle of my forehead and runs through my entire central nervous system like a physical pain that intensifies as my thought patterns spiral into negativaty.

EMDR, although it depends where you are & under which health board oversees your care

however, many primary & secondary care mental health teams have EMDR trained staff on their books, if your GP is obstructive try attending w/an advocate & watch that blockage melt

if that isnt an option, you're working & can afford it, i'd have a nose for local pvt options

Ive been doing great. I even thought Ive been doing great. I took one pill for OCD, and It plunged me near to a clinical depression, and its been days now. Im going to try doing cardio. 

Ever notice you think or say something and then the opposite happens. Oh, IM great now, two days later everything is shit

anyway friends have said SERTRALINE works. anyone have opinions on it?

MDMA primarily works by rapidly increasing the transmission of the neurotransmitter serotonin to your 5-HT receptors. It is possible that after many years of MDMA use, you may have down regulated some of your 5-HT receptors which are responsible for receiving serotonin and passing it onto the CNS. A SSRI basically works by blocking the reuptake of serotonin which means it sort of holds on to whatever serotonin you have for longer, which increases the amount being transmitted to your 5-HT receptors. Since MDMA does the same thing, and SSRI actually ends up also down regulating your 5-HT receptors. So it might be better to find something that can help up-regulate your 5-HT receptors.

^ This is a vaild point. Definitely worth considering alternatives to SSRIs if you’ve a history of heavy MDMA consumption, imo.

Edited by drome

I've been struggling with social anxiety disorder for most of my life. I have a massive fear of being laughed at and talking to people makes me sweat.

But I've finally began talking to a psychologist after 3 years of taking various medication which is nice but also nerve wrecking.

I've been struggling with social anxiety disorder for most of my life. I have a massive fear of being laughed at and talking to people makes me sweat.

But I've finally began talking to a psychologist after 3 years of taking various medication which is nice but also nerve wrecking.

I feel for you man. In those trigger situations it’s vital to remember that although some people are massively judgemental and get a thrill from putting you down, the vast majority just want to get along and have no desire to hurt you.

I feel for you man. In those trigger situations it’s vital to remember that although some people are massively judgemental and get a thrill from putting you down, the vast majority just want to get along and have no desire to hurt you.

Yeah, thanks for the advice man, I try to think it's true. My childhood "friends" were a lot like that so that explains it.