IGNORED

Mental Illness Megathread

gmanyo

I've been struggling with social anxiety disorder for most of my life. I have a massive fear of being laughed at and talking to people makes me sweat.

But I've finally began talking to a psychologist after 3 years of taking various medication which is nice but also nerve wrecking.

I feel for you man. In those trigger situations it’s vital to remember that although some people are massively judgemental and get a thrill from putting you down, the vast majority just want to get along and have no desire to hurt you.

Yeah, thanks for the advice man, I try to think it's true. My childhood "friends" were a lot like that so that explains it.
Truly malicious intent, when experienced first-hand, can be horrific. Kind of fucks the capacity for trust in a permanent way - if you let it. Don’t let it, there’s plenty of love and kindness out there. Edited by drome

• 1 month later...

Well I went through the ptsd therapy and for the first time I feel like I’m looking at it with an element of hindsight, in short, it worked for me.

Got a mate who thought I’d benefit from it years ago, turns out he was right. Anyways, he said he can tell I’m relatively better now as I’m not trying to drag him into my madness anymore.

good on you bwlad

it's relentlessly brutal shit & knowing the treatment pathways & all they entail, that takes balls & an almost sacred relationship with personal honesty

problem is vast numbers of people are never fully informed by health-care professionals as to what the therapy options are with this condition, eg: it took me nearly 4 decades to access EMDR, finally, then add waiting lists & sabbaticals by professionals, not everyone makes it

word to the wise, just watch for certain substances that might pop up & surprise in social situations/interactions (which could seem tempting at the time), in your soul you know what works for you & what doesn't, try & stay true to that & keep utilizing body-scan relaxation techniques + breathing patterns (if you got into those)

Edited by cwmbrancity

just started sertraline today. havent been able to shift the tension headaches or feelings of disassociation with excersize, diet and yoga for 9 months now. 

only took the first one 2 hours ago and i already feel a bit weird and sweaty. 

just started sertraline today. havent been able to shift the tension headaches or feelings of disassociation with excersize, diet and yoga for 9 months now.

only took the first one 2 hours ago and i already feel a bit weird and sweaty.

Placebo. It starts to act after cca two weeks of taking.

Not necessarily true... the benefits take that long to manifest but there are perceivable effects immediately in my experience.

True. I missread "sweaty" as "sweety" :?

In my days of being both a psych consumer and producer, this thing called PPSSD wasn't really on the radar but now it's something to consider. Persistent Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction--junkyard woes even after discontinuation of the medication. So far it seems exceedingly rare and it's difficult to know if there isn't another source of the dysfunction. The population that takes these drugs can have other overlapping situations such as post-traumatic, dissociative or somatoform disorders that better explain the phenomenon.

I said all that to say to def don't take paxil just to hold off cummies lol. If you develop true anorgasmia, you never cum despite being hard/wet and it puts people in great distress. Everyone likes a little edging but this is on a whole new level.

Have your special friend suck the first one out and then 4play them up during your refractory and return to glory. Bang them out as many times as they will tolerate--you will be a champ by the last. There is that squeeze technique but that hurts and never worked for me.

Paxil is weird. I was put on it for nerve pains and after a couple weeks of taking it I started having difficulty jerking off. The mental tension and desire was there sorta. But it took really long, and the first orgasm I managed felt completely devoid of pleasure. It was such a weird feeling that I decided to stop taking it and threw it in the trash. 

Hi y'all. Have u had your testosterone levels checked out befoe starting antidepressions? Low T levels can make u anxity ridden and give u depreson. But really i think the whole low t thing is a prank lolz... doesn't change anything even if u start injecing testosterones..it's just a 1 thing more to worry about. Jus giving u a head up. Don't believe the hype. Or maybe it cud help u??? Just giving you head

I have severe rapid cycling bipolar, PTSD and OCD. That along with Lyme disease and Fibromyalgia put me out of commission for over a decade of my life. I consider myself lucky to still be here. It's under good control at the moment. 0 prescriptions, too. That makes me very happy as a person who was previously over-medicated.

A couple of years ago, I changed my treatment. I was tired of being comparable to a zombie. I now take a natural vitamin suppliment that was designed to balance brain chemistry. As long as I take them regularily I can continue to function very well. I have a job again and am going to finally have my license at 32 years old.

Feels good to get my life in order.

Edited by 747Music

I apologize for the following giant wall of text.

My brother was recently declared NCR (not criminally responsible) in court and is to be permanently hospitalized in a highly secured mental institution.

For nearly the last 2 decades he has had the overgeneralized right to refuse any assistance or medical help for his illness. He has an extreme case of paranoid schizophrenia, enough so that the head psychiatric doctor in Canada's capital city general hospital, who had been there for decades, said that he has the worst case of mental illness he's ever seen. Even so, because he had not been caught in the act of serious criminal activity he has kept his right to tell anyone who would offer him help to "piss off".

He has had no effective ability to take care of himself and has multiple times lived in the streets, eating out of garbage cans, sleeping in parking lots and so forth. That is not a pleasant way to live, as you can imagine. It also puts an incredible amount of stress on his family. When not on the streets, he spent his disability payments on alcohol and drugs as a method of self-medicating. These habits continued to destroy his mind yet further. He'd been in and out of jail for more or less minor things. He had also been in and out of hospitals as a temporary forced visit. He would fake his recovery, leave and go back to his rough habits.

My family had reached out to many different places, trying to find help. For example, a way for someone to help him manage his money so he wouldn't blow his paycheck in a day or two on vices that prevented what medication he was taking to take effect. That's if it was during a time he was agreeing to take meds and wasn't having delusions about the " government's hidden agenda and experiments" that was behind the medications he was prescribed. We reached out in many ways, but due to his delusions he didn't trust the much needed help.

Why would he accept such help when he 100% believes a crazy delusion? That it's actually a couple years in the future and everyone is pretending it's not because he had been shot and in a coma for a few years while people ran experiments on him. No one will admit the "truth" to him, there are cameras everywhere and people posted to monitor him and he doesn't know why, so he trusts no one.

You might as well audibly ask a man in a coma to return audible consent to wake him up. When no response is given they then say: "well, we tried."

This past spring, my brother's delusions had gotten severe enough that he was walking around his apartment complex with an ax, threatening to kill everyone he saw. The police arrived and he barricaded himself in his apartment. Shortly thereafter, mental health services showed up and convinced the police not to use lethal force. After 9 hours of negotiations, he came out and was taken to a hospital/jail.

No one got hurt. My brother has now lost his right to refuse help and will be well taken care of. In time and with luck, I may get to speak with the brother I once knew. The brother who is not constantly paranoid, angry, suspicious and under intense stress. The brother I had as a kid who was nothing but kind, funny and generous.

Last I heard, he's convinced that he was created by a Russian experiment and that our parents are actually his adoptive parents. He met with Putin and Obama who gave him a Russian passport to fulfill his purpose. He was supposed to receive further instructions from his adoptive parents, but of course, my folks are real and have no instructions because all of this in his head. So he's pissed that he not only can't fulfill his purpose, but now has enemies in his family that are hiding important information from him.

Silver lining: Things can get rough in my own mind at times. I can always remember that I'm far from how bad it really can get and that pulls some weight of my mind, allowing for a quicker recovery.

at this point i doubt there's a single mentalillness-free watmmer

edit. not a biggy but i have some performance anxiety, sometimes, lesser with age

Edited by xox

Weighted blankets have been gaining popularity the past year, and are meant to be helpful for people on the spectrum, anxiety and PTSD sufferers etc., and even in regular people in improving sleep hygiene and reducing cortisol levels. They're pretty expensive though, decent ones costing from ~£100-£300. 

A minor study:

The biologic effects of grounding the human body during sleep as measured by cortisol levels and subjective reporting of sleep, pain, and stress.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15650465

OBJECTIVES:
Diurnal cortisol secretion levels were measured and circadian cortisol profiles were evaluated in a pilot study conducted to test the hypothesis that grounding the human body to earth during sleep will result in quantifiable changes in cortisol. It was also hypothesized that grounding the human body would result in changes in sleep, pain, and stress (anxiety, depression, irritability), as measured by subjective reporting.

RESULTS:
Measurable improvements in diurnal cortisol profiles were observed, with cortisol levels significantly reduced during night-time sleep. Subjects' 24-hour circadian cortisol profiles showed a trend toward normalization. Subjectively reported symptoms, including sleep dysfunction, pain, and stress, were reduced or eliminated in nearly all subjects.

https://youtu.be/2qVAASmsWGE?t=89

Similarly, there was also a recent program on TV where some engineers created a pressure suit (similar to a blood pressure monitor but for the whole of the limbs) for an autistic child with bad ticking, and it drastically calmed him down with noticeably less ticking.

Weighted blankets have been gaining popularity the past year, and are meant to be helpful for people on the spectrum, anxiety and PTSD sufferers etc., and even in regular people in improving sleep hygiene and reducing cortisol levels. They're pretty expensive though, decent ones costing from ~£100-£300. 

A minor study:

The biologic effects of grounding the human body during sleep as measured by cortisol levels and subjective reporting of sleep, pain, and stress.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15650465

OBJECTIVES:

Diurnal cortisol secretion levels were measured and circadian cortisol profiles were evaluated in a pilot study conducted to test the hypothesis that grounding the human body to earth during sleep will result in quantifiable changes in cortisol. It was also hypothesized that grounding the human body would result in changes in sleep, pain, and stress (anxiety, depression, irritability), as measured by subjective reporting.

RESULTS:

Measurable improvements in diurnal cortisol profiles were observed, with cortisol levels significantly reduced during night-time sleep. Subjects' 24-hour circadian cortisol profiles showed a trend toward normalization. Subjectively reported symptoms, including sleep dysfunction, pain, and stress, were reduced or eliminated in nearly all subjects.

https://youtu.be/2qVAASmsWGE?t=89

Similarly, there was also a recent program on TV where some engineers created a pressure suit (similar to a blood pressure monitor but for the whole of the limbs) for an autistic child with bad ticking, and it drastically calmed him down with noticeably less ticking.

Thanks for posting that. I think I'll look into this to see if it might rid me of my insomnia that comes and goes.

I've some genralised anxiety which has been increasing in severity, mostly pertaining to perceived societal pressure to reach arbitrary milestones at certain ages... In some ways I am well ahead of the mean and in others I seem well behind my peers. It's weird being aware of how these concerns stem from mostly within myself and yet still allowing them to bother me... I guess it's hard to ignore when the dominant cultural metric by which happiness and success are measured is monetary.

I've yet to find a job I can honestly be excited about and the whole notion of working at anything for 40+ hours per week is a difficult hurdle for me ideologically. I lose myself completely in gardening and music and the time outside my actual job just vapourises leaving little time to spend with my partner and friends. The balance seems so difficult to strike as success in one of these areas of interest will likely be at the sacrifice of others...

Very relieved I don't have children at this juncture. Big respect for you Watmms that do though; it ain't easy.

I've some genralised anxiety which has been increasing in severity, mostly pertaining to perceived societal pressure to reach arbitrary milestones at certain ages... In some ways I am well ahead of the mean and in others I seem well behind my peers. It's weird being aware of how these concerns stem from mostly within myself and yet still allowing them to bother me... I guess it's hard to ignore when the dominant cultural metric by which happiness and success are measured is monetary.

I've yet to find a job I can honestly be excited about and the whole notion of working at anything for 40+ hours per week is a difficult hurdle for me ideologically. I lose myself completely in gardening and music and the time outside my actual job just vapourises leaving little time to spend with my partner and friends. The balance seems so difficult to strike as success in one of these areas of interest will likely be at the sacrifice of others...

Very relieved I don't have children at this juncture. Big respect for you Watmms that do though; it ain't easy.

All that stuff you mentioned was why i got rid of my facebook account. I was comparing myself to other people. Not a healthy thing to do...

This is me to a T.

Btw, I don't want to be one of *those* people but I've been trying cbd oil cos I recently found you can buy it in holland and barrett (lol), I got it for pain relief for a back injury I got from cycling but it really seems to have helped with general social anxiety and has completely eliminated brain fog I'd get all day at work.

I read that it could do those things beforehand though so potentially placebo or strong desire to not have wasted my money :)

Interestingly I heard from a girl who has anxiety problems that when she tried Japanese-style bondage it made her feel secure and calm, like somebody holding her tight. Maybe similar effect?

For those interested the doc was The Big Life Fix: Episode 4; not available on Youtube yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bg91xh/the-big-life-fix-inventing-the-impossible-episode-4#

screenshotat2018-09-0dqdhu.jpg