IGNORED

Yamaha PSS series

worms

looking into mods at the moment, seem cheap enough to pick up second hand for some n00b soldering, perhaps get the chops to do things like; 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the pss270 which is purely presets and sadly just the volume slider so no secret bitcrushing for me. It's got stereo outputs though which is pretty crazy in my mind and some weird chorus and vibrato effect that is actually quite effective. It's got portamento too which sounds absolutely ridiculous but amazing at the same time.

Really shit stuff being so bad it's actually good! I sent chords through my r2r and pitched everything down and had a great drone time.

What I'd love to do is disable the on board speakers as when I'm recording I'm hearing the dry and wet signal at the same time which makes it hard to hear filter movements etc. Open it up and just cut the speaker connections?

I don't think I've ever heard a stereo Portasound, or if I did it wasn't running in stereo.  Does it have a chorus or something?

Cutting the speaker connections would be fine, just put some tape on the cut ends of the wires so they don't accidentally short to each other or anything else (unlikely but it could happen I guess) and it will be fine.

Yeah it's got a left/right aux out but is a mono signal not stereo. That's me not understanding stuff. It does have a chorus thing that definitely makes stuff go stereo kind of.

Just realised it's got a headphone out jack so just connected unused headphones and boom, no speaker output. Easier than opening it up for now.

The chorus is almost definitely analog, you should investigate how easy it is to mod it with a line in so you can use it as an effect for other things.  I bet it's a cheaper version of the analog chorus on the DX-21.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived