The EU

YangYing

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Still a way to go before it actually gets approved and implemented:

Today's vote was not the end of Europe's copyright fight. Under the European Union's convoluted process for approving legislation, the proposal will now become the subject of a three-way negotiation involving the European Parliament, the Council of the Europe Union (representing national governments), and the European Commission (the EU's executive branch). If those three bodies agree to a final directive, then it will be sent to each of the 28 EU member countries (or more likely 27 thanks to Brexit) for implementation in national laws.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/09/european-parliament-approves-copyright-bill-slammed-by-digital-rights-groups/

as noted in the article i linked 

This does allow for some hope that the contested articles will be changed in the final legislation, but it’s unlikely. The Council has already announced it’s support for upload filters (the part of Article 13 that could lead to censorship machines) and link tax (Article 11).

keepin the pessimist slant on this, def.

...also, the wording of the amended legislation seems very vague (compared to the previous version that was voted down a few months ago), which makes it likely there'll be varying implementations of this in national legislation, which might lead to European Court cases from service providers if the national legislation is overly strict.

UH OH

The man behind the EU’s copyright law is “surprised” by what’s in the proposal

By Ephrat LivniSeptember 13, 2018

The European Union Parliament on Sept. 12 voted to approve new copyright laws that will transform how people in Europe and beyond use and profit from the internet. But even the man behind the legislation, Axel Voss, was apparently unaware of what exactly he voted for.

Emanuel Karlsten, a reporter for Sweden’s Breakit news site, spoke with Voss, a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) and the EU’s copyright rapporteur, after the vote. Karlsten asked about a last-minute amendment that will bar the filming of sports events. The MEP replied in a recorded conversation, “This was kind of mistake I think by the JURI committee. Someone amended this. No one had been aware of this.”

European Parliament press officer John Schranz at that point broke in to explain that he was aware of the provision in question, calling it “amendment 76.” Schranz said that the amendment doesn’t bar individuals from filming sporting events. Rather, “the main target” is online betting companies enticing viewers to their sites with video that they have no right to film. He objected to the fact that the “Greens and others” interpret the provision as having a much wider application.

But the MEP Voss admitted, “I didn’t know that this was in the proposal so far, so of course I have to deal with it now. I do not consider that the commission and council will have this inside the proposal.” Voss added that “because of the time pressure” and general focus on other, more notable aspects of the law, it’s possible that the measure was insufficiently scrutinized. But he reassured Karlsten that MEPs will be meeting again to go over the law in its entirety. “Of course we have to discuss this,” he said of the provision in question.

Voss isn’t kidding when he says he’s been busy. The controversial Copyright Directive, which aims to compensate content creators and limit intellectual property violators, was rejected in July. Two sections of the legislation in particular have been in dispute—Article 11, which would charge a link tax to news aggregators, and Article 13, which would require platforms to install software that reviews content for copyright violations.

Vocal opponents, including tech giants like Google, Facebook, and Apple as well as internet pioneers like Vint Cerf, argue that the law will stifle the flow of information on the web and turn corporations into intellectual property police, using technology that’s insufficiently nuanced for the task. Meanwhile, supporters—musicians, filmmakers, news publishers—say the law would right an imbalance online and ensure that content creators are compensated for their contributions to culture.

Karlsten notes that MEPs complained at a press conference after the vote yesterday that Facebook and Google tried to manipulate their votes with email campaigns, ignoring the fact that messages were also sent by concerned individuals. “They do not believe people in Europe really are worried about what this directive will bring,” the Swedish reporter contends.

He tells Quartz that Voss’s surprise about the sport filming provision is indicative of a much larger problem. “I was actually flabbergasted by my time in the parliament. It exceeded my worst fears about the competence of the MEPs handling of this directive.” With over 250 amendments up for vote, the MEPs were likely overwhelmed. Karlsten suggests, “That is a lot more than they are used to. But still: [schranz] knew about this very amendment, when Voss did not. So this is something that was meant to be there—for some reason, by someone’s concern. It is mind-boggling that Voss voted for it, when he really thought it was a bad idea.”

The reporter believes the copyright rapporteur was either deceived or indifferent. Either way, that’s not a great sign.

Correction: An earlier version of this story referred to the reporter as “Karisten.” His name is Karlsten.

https://qz.com/1389385/article-11-and-article-13-axel-voss-is-surprised-by-eu-copyright-law/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah so what's the deal with that? i looked at some explanations of it and it seems so weirdly unnecessary.

you mean what it does exactly or why it's being proposed?

what it does is best answered by reading the policies themselves.. as mentioned before in this thread the original legislation seemed truly unimplementable, incredibly poorly thought trough, also

as to why is being done.. the idea as far as I understand it is to adress the issue of intellectual property and copyright by enforcing censoship (idunno what else to call it?) of any copyrighted material, on top of that the link tax (article 11) is supposed to give back income to the original authors of articles etc

ofc there is a conspiracy theory (from the righty side of yt) that the whole shtick is just a desperate money grab and attack on alternative media and social media in general bc mm is losing popularity and reach and money

iunno, is all rlly dumb.. I liked chens point from before alot tho, before the EU such idiotic legislation could have passed without nobody voting on it

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/10/italy-steps-defend-eu-internet-users-against-copyright-filters-who-will-be-next

...basically the law could be dead before it comes into effect because states representing more than 35% of the EU's population now oppose it.

best thing i've read on the topic so far. this whole "ban meme law" talk seems a bit hyperbolical to me

Archived