IGNORED

Chiastic Slide Artwork

italiceyeball

Being one of their finest albums, It also has the most intriguing artwork. Lots of annoying suggestive white space!

I suppose there be links to tDR artwork for this and the other EPS at the time.

A vector Land/ Sea map of sorts...

Bloke in baseball cap with his pants hanging off his arse, just tripped and let the burger fly out of his frying pan...

or this guy....its always this guy

post-22224-0-23026100-1528886335_thumb.jpg

there was an interview with ian from tdr floating around here sometime ago where he said that some of it was based on photographs of buildings and bridges he took in NYC.

chi slide (and envane) are my favs when it comes to AE cover art

there was an interview with ian from tdr floating around here sometime ago where he said that some of it was based on photographs of buildings and bridges he took in NYC.

Interesting, yeah definite buildingness here:

R-4887131-1382376754-5824.jpeg.jpg

I would assume the graphics are based on buildings since the similar Envane cover is clearly based on Fallingwater.

i always wanted to know how to make those kind of artworks but couldn't find any tutorials related to this kind of graphic design.

using Illustrator

1. import photo

2. trace crudely using pen tool (avoid curves!)

3. remove photo

4. add fills / additional lines

Beyond that, there's no tutorial for creativity.. sorry for being blunt, but man, tutorial culture is rampant these days. 

If you want to learn how to use Illustrator on a technical level, there are loads of online guides.

chi slide (and envane) are my favs when it comes to AE cover art

Yes, cover is abstracted view of Brooklyn Bridge

The overlay print on the CD artwork was really cool, with much only catching light occasionally. It's hard or impossible to see on the pics I saw on discogs, but there's a fair amount of this: the inner artwork is also a combo of 'regular' printing as well as this overlay sort of print...I'm not into design so I'm probably getting the terminology all wrong, but nonetheless I always liked it. One of the main prints with the 'ae' embedded would've made a great poster: 

R-30797-1491431682-7450.jpeg.jpg

Also on the art for the CD case back (outward) there's a huge overlay print of the 'compact disc digital audio logo' seen below (I could try and get some pics illustrating the overlay here and elsewhere in the art if anyone wants but it's VERY subtle) which is a super tDR thing to do. Love it :)

vinyl-decal-sticker-8782.jpg

edit: forgot to mention how funny it was to see a cassette of this album too (I think the first image I posted there is from the discogs cassette artwork, but that art is featured on the CD and I'd assume on the vinyls?). I guess it was towards the end of general cassette production in '97? They even sent out a promo cassette for Christ's sake... When I'm rich one day I'll start an AE cassette collection.

The graphics are like a corrupted copy of an early 90s computer game to me. But then you have that human-like figure in the center of the front cover that looks like a primitive rendering of an Olympic diver. Then again, that interpretation could be way off from what the actual artist(s) had in mind.

And then you have the gridded crosshairs like the ones you see on the Incunabula cover, albeit more skewed. Perhaps it's an acknowledgement by Ae of their own origins, while at the same time taking a one-way ticket towards the next step of their evolution. And I think that Envane/Chiastic Slide era is where they moved beyond just 16-step sequencing and really took off with more glitchy precision editing.

But this is merely my own interpretation. Even as a fan for more than two decades, I'll never truly get an understanding of how they work.

Also on the art for the CD case back (outward) there's a huge overlay print of the 'compact disc digital audio logo' seen below (I could try and get some pics illustrating the overlay here and elsewhere in the art if anyone wants but it's VERY subtle) which is a super tDR thing to do. Love it :)

vinyl-decal-sticker-8782.jpg

lmao, you can actually faintly see it on one of the discogs images

R-2496-1185275507.jpeg.jpg

it's super subtle but you can see it better when inverting the image

unknown.png

really cool!

I had to go fuck with the contrast and all to see them in those images, I can't see shit in the image or the invert here. Cool they can at least be seen...the overlay printing could probably be picked out in other images that way too I guess? Maybe there's some secrets? :)

I think you're referring to a spot varnish? The same printing as on the second Peel Session.

I don't have the second Peel Session on CD (one of their releases I've not purchased, didn't really enjoy it). I'd assume it's the same, the description discogs has for the Peel Session 2 artwork sounds like what's on the Chiastic Slide CD. Anyone with the vinyl confirm it's got the same printing? Discogs doesn't mention it in reference to CS that I can tell.

I had to go fuck with the contrast and all to see them in those images, I can't see shit in the image or the invert here. Cool they can at least be seen...the overlay printing could probably be picked out in other images that way too I guess? Maybe there's some secrets? :)

It'd be only visible in scans, unless the spot varnish layer is given a colour for the screen/digital version. 

I don't have the second Peel Session on CD (one of their releases I've not purchased, didn't really enjoy it). I'd assume it's the same, the description discogs has for the Peel Session 2 artwork sounds like what's on the Chiastic Slide CD. Anyone with the vinyl confirm it's got the same printing? Discogs doesn't mention it in reference to CS that I can tell.

Some versions of the vinyl have spot varnish printed on the inside of the sleeves; not mine, as it's one of the later pressings, but iirc there's some on the front cover. I feel like there's another Autechre album with a spot varnish on the front cover of the vinyl version.. maybe Draft?

The album that keeps on giving. .Lovely artwork to hold. The spot varnishes are sweet. I'm noticing lots of new things after years of a digital copy.
looking inside the main sleeve. . .
The design (and the distorted viewing angle) seems very like a stylised fish-eye view of a bay/harbour.  brilliant stuff.

post-22224-0-95041200-1530808670_thumb.jpg

^i feel dirty looking at that picture. I don't recognize the art for it, must be a unique piece for the vinyl, an inversion of the outer sleeve perhaps (much of the art for CS was like that)?

Archived