IGNORED

WORLD CUP FEVER

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like whoever comes second of BEL and ENG, will have an easier bracket to advance in than the winner. What team is going to lose on purpose?

facing Japan rather than Colombia seems easier. Both teams want to win

Ozil should retire, proper lazy & representative of where Germany have slowly gone wrong

Ozil was one of the few who played well against Korea. It’s not an accurate description of his play to call him lazy. Arsenal fans make the same mistake.

How Mueller was subbed on before Draxler or Brandt is ridiculous. Not bringing Sane was also ridiculous, as was the strategy to cross the ball a thousand times without playing Gomez.

I’m just pissed cause that cost me a potential $700.

Fuck it. Allez les bleus!

regale with a better retort cos losing 700$ doesnt make Ozil's contribution any more invigorating, although i empathize with a rare punt gone awry

Germany dont have the midfield of yesteryear, simple as: Draxler's been poor, Werner slightly better, Kroos ok-ish & a winning goal....but Ozil?

he was dropped against Sweden for a reason & he's consistently under-performed in the PL

this isnt some Gooner hullabaloo, Madrid got rid of him for a reason & scoring hat-tricks against lesser opposition like Ludogorets is the exception in whats been a ropy few seasons of general decline, when was the last time actually bossed a game?

re-Inglan - if i was one of their supporters i'd rather play Japan than Colombia every time

I am so amazed by the Belgian team, jeez, they have so many players (A or B squad) that know what to do with the ball, only VAR or stupid ref could be their potential enemy in this tournament. 

That was the last World Cup for Ozil and Gundogan, that's for sure, unless FIFA will change the rules and German-born Turkish guy will be free to join the parental country to play and support his beloved president. 

It looks like whoever comes second of BEL and ENG, will have an easier bracket to advance in than the winner. What team is going to lose on purpose?

facing Japan rather than Colombia seems easier. Both teams want to win

A lot of speculation in Belgian media beforehand focused on two things: avoiding Brazil as the likely opponent in the quarter and the fact that for the Belgians being on the other side of the bracket would have meant less traveling back and forth for the remaining matches.

The game was predictably shit and I don't think either side really wanted the win. The truly Belgian thing to do would've been to come second in the group, think 'mission accomplished' and then fail spectaculary against Colombia or Switzerland/Sweden at the very latest. Luckily there were 2-3 players with a spine or something to prove (Januzaj, Fellaini) on the Belgian side to prevent that from happening.

nuffink personal but remember Cymru spanked you in the Euros 3-1

dont really rate Martinez as a manager, that would be my main doubt, he had mixed results in the PL, but if your core starting eleven dont pick up knocks who knows

I don't think anyone here's forgetting that anytime soon, seemingly favorable spot on the bracket turned nightmare so it was mentioned about a thousand times in the run-up to the England match as a warning not to speculate.

Anything can happen in the knockout stage, maybe the quarter will be Japan-Mexico.

Don't know about Martinez. Things seem better than they were 2 or 4 years ago and I didn't mind him leaving Nainggolan out at all. I guess his attitude towards this last match was the first time I frowned.

regale with a better retort cos losing 700$ doesnt make Ozil's contribution any more invigorating, although i empathize with a rare punt gone awry

Germany dont have the midfield of yesteryear, simple as: Draxler's been poor, Werner slightly better, Kroos ok-ish & a winning goal....but Ozil?

he was dropped against Sweden for a reason & he's consistently under-performed in the PL

this isnt some Gooner hullabaloo, Madrid got rid of him for a reason & scoring hat-tricks against lesser opposition like Ludogorets is the exception in whats been a ropy few seasons of general decline, when was the last time actually bossed a game?

Consistently under=performed in the PL? He's been playing with fucking Arsenal (where for some time he had Danny Welbeck as a striker FFS), and he still managed to rack up 50 assists faster than anyone else.

Madrid got rid of him for personality reasons . In his time with Madrid, he led the league in assists every season. Given that he generally played as the main playmaker, that's exactly what you want to see.

My assertion is that to call his play lazy is a mis-characterization. If you want a better retort, go back and watch the actual match.

Germany was missing Schweinsteiger, Lahm, and Klose as key players, and Low fucked up by not bringing Sane, and by playing Mueller out of position, when he no longer even has pace to make up for his technical shortcomings. Werner was shite all tournament barring the first 10 minutes, certainly worse than Draxler. Those things plus playing 2-0-8 were the downfall.

couple of great games there!!

glad the Uruguayan's ditched Ronaldo and company out. Argentina and France I have no favourite but a brilliant match to watch!!

couple of cracking games tomorrow!!

over and out!!

That run from Mbappe for the penalty was fantastic. I think Uruguay will beat France though, they're too solid and France lack creativity, require too much on the break.

That run from Mbappe for the penalty was fantastic. I think Uruguay will beat France though, they're too solid and France lack creativity, require too much on the break.

You're right, France was surprisingly chaotic in the midfield given the fact what valuable figures they got in their disposal. I'm not sure if Cavani will recover on time cause he's like Suarez' third leg, but I don't think Uruguay will be more offensive against France than today (tonight Portugal copied Spain with their dominant play, at least in the second leg, let's be honest)...

Also I think creativity grows with the confidence, France is still able to unleash this €1bn-value-on-paper potential, I believe in them. 

I love this debate, this goal or Nacho's goal

Amazing World Cup...

I think Pavard was a little lucky, I don’t think he had that much control over his shot.

Di Maria, Modric, Kroos, Lingard, Ronaldo have all had some spectacular strikes as well.

Archived