IGNORED

pitchfork's review of the new chromeo album

dr lopez

I don't really get most music reviews anyway. why would I want to read about someone's depressing dissection of an album? I'd rather read something like "man this is very reminiscent of the disco parties I went to 6 years back <insert link of a mix>, the text in track 3 makes me giggle and the intro is all sorts of wonderful. i nostalgia hard over track 4 cause it puts you in a tunnel sorta feeling like <insert other funky album here> which you should check out if you're into 5-8. papa bless. also what is track 9 chromeo please"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should start making pieces of music based on music reviews. Let's see if this shit goes both ways.

If I had to make an audio representation of a Pitchfork review, it would just sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ortMPr9w06U

I think I saw Chromeo live once at a bar in Vic in mid 00's. Was very wasted but if memory serves there was a fellow in a silver jump suit prancing about and an Egyptian Lover type fellow with a talk box behind some synths. Don't recall the musics much. Help us to enjoy them lopez, link to traqs pls.

I'm pretty big fan of Chromeo, but I did think this last album was a big step down for them compared to their last album.  Lots of stuff I didn't like about it.  However, having said that, that Pitchfork review is one of the dumbest, most irritating things I've ever read.  I want to stab my eyes.

I think I saw Chromeo live once at a bar in Vic in mid 00's. Was very wasted but if memory serves there was a fellow in a silver jump suit prancing about and an Egyptian Lover type fellow with a talk box behind some synths. Don't recall the musics much. Help us to enjoy them lopez, link to traqs pls.

This was the joint that piqued my interest in them, bear in mind this was 2007 before lofi irony layercake was de rigeur and every trustfund twat began making cheap knockoff wares. Spoiler alert, lopez-level movez at 1:45:

Basically they made (make?) fun/funky musics that riff on 80s pop-funk/rnb tender lover vibez, can't say I've listened to the recent stuff though.

sexy socialite is a great song. mommas boy, basically all of fancy footwork after the first 3 tracks are super fun. this new one isn’t quite as good as white women but it’s still fun.

this is without a doubt the most retarded thing i have ever read. i can't even begin to unpack how fucking idiotic this person is. it hurts my brain imagining where to even start.

oh, dig a little more on pitchfork and you'll find a lot worse and more of the same. 

reviewers try real hard some times.. sometimes too hard. this review seems it's more about writing than it is about music. 

who's chromeo? to the google!

but the writing itself is horrible...

i stopped reading after the 1st paragraph. "this isn't even about music" 

reviews serve a purpose sometimes. .for people who've not heard of the release being reviewed and think "oh this sounds interesting i'll go listen to it.. and then i'll read that karl marx book".

there are people who are pretty good at writing about music. they just don't turn up on pitchfork very often. zing... 

honestly i don't think anyone who is sane ever reads pitchfork reviews except some goys on a froum maybe

i'm guessing they have sohsh meeds followers. 

how can we make this about memes? 

Also in the pro-Chromeo camp, although I'm not a huge fan of the new album.  It all feels too pop-reaching for me.  That said, fancy footwork is tip top.  It's throwback electro with humor, sort of like the Rephlex DMX Krew stuff.

• 1 month later...

wew lads

pitchfork looks back, gives fat of the land a 5.9

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/the-prodigy-the-fat-of-the-land/

Fin-de-siècle pop culture played along. Proto-incels mistook Chuck Palahniuk for Charles Atlas, as if Fight Club’s ironic exegesis of the closet were actually macho boosterism. “Friends” and “Seinfeld” lionized developmentally arrested males who chafed at the inconveniences of their white and almost entirely heterosexual world. Perhaps relatedly, there was a feeling that rock’n’roll, like straight white men, was in dire straits. After grunge, what was left for men and their guitars? Hip-hop took over as a force of cultural rebellion, and however brilliant and multi-faceted its examination of capitalism and power and race, women struggled to be heard. A woman wouldn’t top the Billboard Hip-Hop charts as part of a group until the Fugees in 1996; a woman wouldn’t do it herself until Foxy Brown in 1999.

Dance music was certainly male enough to make it in America, though it wasn’t exactly macho. Howlett abandoned the “U.S. rave kids” who thought they were poseurs and injected the poison of toxic masculinity. “Firestarter” arrived in March of 1996, announcing the debut of Keith Flint as frontman in a black and white video through which his charisma shown in Technicolor. He mugged and acted the fratboy fool, wearing a stars and stripes sweater, ball-bearing necklace, an inverted Mohawk, and some Alice Cooper eyeliner. If men couldn’t be kings, court jesters still got the mic.

i like scrolling through it and getting to the ad for "g herbo's favorite verse: lil wayne's ride for my niggas" with animated lyrics about pigeons in the ocean. really brings home writing like this:

In 1986, he went to London, but after a disastrous run at a rap career, he returned to Braintree and like so many white men of his English generation, necked an E at a rave and found his path.

The mid-’90s in America was a time of testeria, a masculinized panic at the small steps toward equality made by women, the LGBTQ community, and people of color. Men experienced even the threat of a slight slip in status like a slap to the face. In a 1993 essay for Newsweek called “White Male Paranoia,” the writer David Gates made their case: “Generations of white males judged women and minorities not by what they did but by what they were. Turnabout is fair play. White men are now beginning to say: only fair play is fair play.” Talk about a jilted generation.

i didn't even realize this is the same writer as the chromeo review. this jesse dorris person is trolling right?

Archived