IGNORED

Your favorite album of all time

Extralife

I've been on the internet a long time and have posted in threads just like this for decades. Wish I could find what I said back in high school to see if it's consistent (or cringe-wrothy).

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, you don't want to see them old skeletons. I probably would've said NIN's The Fragile or something, which to be fair is still a stellar album imo but when you broaden your horizons and get a taste of everything else out there it comes nowhere near #1.

it's a total gateway album though, in that it exposes the silly teenage ear to all these interesting production styles and ideas. that, Massive Attack's Mezzanine, and Radiohead's Kid A were all gateway albums for me in that sense - new sounds I hadn't heard before.

1. aphex - saw vol 2

2. bjork - vespertine

3. black sabbath - master of reality

4. gas - pop

5. radiohead - kid a

6. susumu yokota - sakura

7. biosphere - substrata

8. basic channel - bcd

9. steely dan - the royal scam

10. derek bailey - aida

11. television - marquee moon

12. deepchord presents echospace - liumin

13. roxy music - avalon

14. reinbert de leeuw - erik satie - gnossiennes/gymnopodies...

15. nick drake - pink moon

that's a solid fifteen i could listen to exclusively for the rest of my life 

yeah, you don't want to see them old skeletons. I probably would've said NIN's The Fragile or something, which to be fair is still a stellar album imo but when you broaden your horizons and get a taste of everything else out there it comes nowhere near #1.

it's a total gateway album though, in that it exposes the silly teenage ear to all these interesting production styles and ideas. that, Massive Attack's Mezzanine, and Radiohead's Kid A were all gateway albums for me in that sense - new sounds I hadn't heard before.

I see what you mean about gateway album. I probably would have said something like KMFDM - Nihil, PIG - Wrecked, or Sister Machine Gun - The Torture Technique back in '98. I still think those are good albums, but didn't exactly supply what I wanted ultimately. Once I heard Go Plastic I remember thinking "this is the kind of music I want to make" since it hit on so many things that I liked.

So I'm not sure if it's worth listing since I'm still changing all the time.

AE - LP5

Aphex - SAW 85-92

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...

Goldie - Timeless

Black Dog - (bytes)

DK - Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust Inc

Would say it has been LP5 for a good few years now.

Some more:

Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Queens of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley

Fsol - lifeforms

Autechre - Amber & tri repetae

Can - future days & tago mago

The orb - the orb's adventures beyond the ultraworld

Tangerine dream - Rubycon

Steve roach - structures from silence

Talk talk - spirit of eden

The prodigy - music for the jilted generation

Loop - heaven's end

The necks - drive by

A guy called Gerald - black secret technology

Healer - higher grounds

devourment - molesting the decapitated

outkast - stankonia

a tribute to gut + a tribute to regurgitate

satyricon - nemesis divina

afx - drukqs/i care because yo do

autechre - oversteps/quaristice

infestdead - hellfuck

nile - in their darkened shrines

enslaved - below the lights

boards of canada - geogaddi

kraftwerk - minimum maximum

ween - mollusk/quebec

NIN - fragile

fantomas - suspended animation

mothers of invention - we're only in it for the money

kanye west - MBDTF/808's

some dmz singles

^ stuff that i must have played over a 100 times

Aside from the Kanye West that is a really good list.

Weird as a pretty big fan of Kyuss I could never get on with QOTSA. I don't really like Josh Homme tbh, for reasons I can't be bothered to pinpoint, so when he became frontman I never really got on board with them. Then loads of casual pop music listeners I knew of were suddenly bang into them, which was pretty much the immediate death knell for the Queens of the Stoneage for me!! (hahah I'm not so much like that nowadays) Not dissing your opinion just having a beer and typing a few thoughts.

@zaphod I listened to that Deepchord Presents Echospace this morning and really liked it (as I do Basic Channel BCD)

(This thread turned out to be pretty cool after groaning like a lost wildebeest when it first appeared!!)

Queens of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

The last truly great QOTSA album.

But I also really like Lullabies to Paralyze and plenty of songs from later albums.

Aphex  - Saw 85-92

Faith No More - Angel Dust

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Orb - Live 93

Pink Floyd - Animals

Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love

Production on Mezzanine is immense - they created such an amazing atmosphere on that album.

good album but i like the first one better

1st one more spacey, 2nd one more playful - both great albums.

have you or anyone heard either their third album as vulva or their other album "my little yoni" ? Curious to know what they sound like. I'm sure they're good i've just never tracked them down

Archived