IGNORED

Your favorite album of all time

Extralife

good album but i like the first one better

1st one more spacey, 2nd one more playful - both great albums.

have you or anyone heard either their third album as vulva or their other album "my little yoni" ? Curious to know what they sound like. I'm sure they're good i've just never tracked them down

Both also very good, but I’d probably give the edge to Yoni.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorites of all time without a doubt. Miocene - A Perfect Life With A View Of The Swamp 

(link should start the whole album's playlist. probably also on Spotfiy, etc.)

yeah, you don't want to see them old skeletons. I probably would've said NIN's The Fragile or something, which to be fair is still a stellar album imo but when you broaden your horizons and get a taste of everything else out there it comes nowhere near #1.

it's a total gateway album though, in that it exposes the silly teenage ear to all these interesting production styles and ideas. that, Massive Attack's Mezzanine, and Radiohead's Kid A were all gateway albums for me in that sense - new sounds I hadn't heard before.

I see what you mean about gateway album. I probably would have said something like KMFDM - Nihil, PIG - Wrecked, or Sister Machine Gun - The Torture Technique back in '98. I still think those are good albums, but didn't exactly supply what I wanted ultimately. Once I heard Go Plastic I remember thinking "this is the kind of music I want to make" since it hit on so many things that I liked.

So I'm not sure if it's worth listing since I'm still changing all the time.

Chemical Brothers for me, a bit before that Radiohead Amnesiac. I bought Bjork's Homogenic and Aphex Twin's RDJ album the summer before I went to college and fell into a wormhole after that. 

Radiohead, Tool, and Pink Floyd could all easily be up there. The problem with these bands / albums (classic rock / pop is the same way, same with jazz and anything classic in any genre) is some people just never go beyond it, call it "real music" or hyperbolicly tout their supremacy. Then there's us here on WATMM that still appreciate these albums but largely moved beyond them.

Production on Mezzanine is immense - they created such an amazing atmosphere on that album.

Totally. Neil Davidge and Mike Stent apparently, I never actually looked this up before. I feel like trip-hop is still quite influential production wise, lot of poppy crossover stuff now reeks of the same polished but grandiose sound, which is good, but I don't see the genre cited too often.

Can't believe I'm saying this but mayyyyybe:

Let England Shake by PJ Harvey

it's the only one of the albums I really love which me and my friends and family can relate over (otherwise they have no interest in the music I like, or hate it - which is fine)

I dunno, I'm sure I'll change my mind as soon as I click 'Post'

This is a fun thread - found reading back through that I'd forgotten about a lot of albums that I used to listen to. This list would probably change depending on mood, but as a "first things come to mind" one:

Aphex - Drukqs

Radiohead - OK Computer

Bone Thugs - E99 Eternal

Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain

GBV - Bee Thousand

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon

Aphex Twin - Drukqs 

Hendrix - Band of Gypsies 

Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and other assorted

Vsnares - WITBOAS

Squarepusher - Go Plastic

Everclear - So much for the Afterglow (SHUT UP I KNOW)

Weezer - Blue Album

Modest Mouse - Good News for People who Love Bad News

Also, Afx drukqs

Totally. Neil Davidge and Mike Stent apparently, I never actually looked this up before. I feel like trip-hop is still quite influential production wise, lot of poppy crossover stuff now reeks of the same polished but grandiose sound, which is good, but I don't see the genre cited too often.

Yeah, I think kind of the looped breakbeat sound found in a lot of '90s music is still regarded as hugely unfashionable. I often wonder if it'll ever come back around and be namechecked again.

• 2 weeks later...
ae: Draft 7.30

also:

ae: Confield, Untilted, Oversteps, AE_LIVE, elseq 2, elseq 1,3,4,5, exai, probably NTS

loscil: Sketches from New Brighton

boc: TH

opn: R+7

fennesz: Venice

mark fell: Multistability

sleep research facility: Deep Frieze

aphex twin: drukqs

nin: The Downward Spiral

mogwai: come on die young

trail of dead: Source, Tags & Codes

radiohead: Kid A

q and not u: Different Damage

interpol: Turn on the Bright Lights

sigur rós: Ágætis byrjun

explosions in the sky: Those who tell the truth...

david bowie: Low

steve reich: Music for 18 musicians

meshuggah: The Violent Sleep of Reason

yeah, you don't want to see them old skeletons. I probably would've said NIN's The Fragile or something, which to be fair is still a stellar album imo but when you broaden your horizons and get a taste of everything else out there it comes nowhere near #1.

it's a total gateway album though, in that it exposes the silly teenage ear to all these interesting production styles and ideas. that, Massive Attack's Mezzanine, and Radiohead's Kid A were all gateway albums for me in that sense - new sounds I hadn't heard before.

I see what you mean about gateway album. I probably would have said something like KMFDM - Nihil, PIG - Wrecked, or Sister Machine Gun - The Torture Technique back in '98. I still think those are good albums, but didn't exactly supply what I wanted ultimately. Once I heard Go Plastic I remember thinking "this is the kind of music I want to make" since it hit on so many things that I liked.

So I'm not sure if it's worth listing since I'm still changing all the time.

Chemical Brothers for me, a bit before that Radiohead Amnesiac. I bought Bjork's Homogenic and Aphex Twin's RDJ album the summer before I went to college and fell into a wormhole after that. 

Radiohead, Tool, and Pink Floyd could all easily be up there. The problem with these bands / albums (classic rock / pop is the same way, same with jazz and anything classic in any genre) is some people just never go beyond it, call it "real music" or hyperbolicly tout their supremacy. Then there's us here on WATMM that still appreciate these albums but largely moved beyond them.

It is funny you mention those three: Radiohead, Tool and Pink Floyd, as when I think back to my final year of school when I was 17 (2006), those were the three I was obsessed about, and hyperbolic about at the time. You are correct, you do move on, or branch out, even if you still appreciate a few releases and remain a fan of them. My childhood bedroom still has lyrics and imagined albums which are like an impressionable teenage amalgam of those three influences.

OK Computer and Dark Side of the Moon are still top 10 favourites of mine, some faves stand the test of time, whereas stuff like The Bends and Wish You Were Here and anything Tool made after Aenima slipped away rather quickly once I hit my twenties, maybe listen to once every 5 years or so to try and rekindle something.

I didn't do this already? Okay, in no particular order:

MBV - Loveless

Portishead - Third

Aphex - drukQs

Stars of The Lid - Avec Laudenum

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Poo

Suicide - Suicide

Brothomstates - Claro

Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg

Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas

Boards - Tomorrow's Harvest

Brian Eno - Apollo

Seefeel - Quique

is tomorrow's harvest really that good?

For me it absolutely is; a confluence of special life events and carefully crafted listening sessions imbued an extramusical value to it. Listening to it became an experience based on the way that I did it (in interesting outdoor environments, on train rides, etc). I know the previous albums have a certain nostalgia factor, but this to me is their most wholly realised musical statement.

For me it absolutely is; a confluence of special life events and carefully crafted listening sessions imbued an extramusical value to it. Listening to it became an experience based on the way that I did it (in interesting outdoor environments, on train rides, etc). I know the previous albums have a certain nostalgia factor, but this to me is their most wholly realised musical statement.

Pretty much this for me too, especially the last sentence. I love the earlier albums, but TH is the best album experience for me.

I have to do the top 10 thing here.... Maybe not my fav of all time but definitely for the last decade or so.

In no particular order.

SP - Hard Normal Daddy

Aphex - Syro

Biggie - Ready to Die

Stefano Torossi - Feelings                                 

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

Ryo Fukui - Scenery

Autechre - Exai

Amon Tobin - Bricolage

King Missile - Happy Hour

Mike P - Royal Astronomy

edit: I don't get a lot of time to do ugh "critical listening" for the last quite a few years. Most of this is basically pop music to me at this point. Sucks to have my main hobby end up on a backburner compared to life but, as it goes.

Could prob throw Stringtronics - Mindbender in there somewhere but that'd be 11 and having 10 albums is already silly.

I have to do the top 10 thing here.... Maybe not my fav of all time but definitely for the last decade or so.

In no particular order.

SP - Hard Normal Daddy

Aphex - Syro

Biggie - Ready to Die

Ryo Fukui - Scenery

Autechre - Exai

Amon Tobin - Bricolage

Mike P - Royal Astronomy

edit: I don't get a lot of time to do ugh "critical listening" for the last quite a few years. Most of this is basically pop music to me at this point. Sucks to have my main hobby end up on a backburner compared to life but, as it goes.

Could prob throw Stringtronics - Mindbender in there somewhere but that'd be 11 and having 10 albums is already silly.

Why give Bricolage the edge over Permutations?

In no particular order.

SP - Hard Normal Daddy

Aphex - Syro

Biggie - Ready to Die

Ryo Fukui - Scenery

Autechre - Exai

Amon Tobin - Bricolage

Mike P - Royal Astronomy

was wondering this too

word, I'll have to give it another listen sometime. I remember hearing it not too long after it came out and was basically just "yep this is BOC alright" lol. fwiw they've never been my favorite group but I do think Geogaddi is a great album

today? Slayer - Reign in Blood

at least a dozen motorists were executed to it in my head while negotiating the Mfuckin25, totallys brutals

LOL. I myself have a horrendous commute and can relate to this. I have recently infused much heavy music to go along with my mood during it.

I fantasize my car has rockets though, or I have Magneto like powers and just fling cars in whichever direction. Sadly, the most I can muster is to give the bird to the inevitable fender benders that completely fuck my drive. 

Currently, Pro-pain voice of rebellion helps.

at least a dozen motorists were executed to it in my head while negotiating the Mfuckin25, totallys brutals

LOL. I myself have a horrendous commute and can relate to this. I have recently infused much heavy music to go along with my mood during it.

I fantasize my car has rockets though, or I have Magneto like powers and just fling cars in whichever direction. Sadly, the most I can muster is to give the bird to the inevitable fender benders that completely fuck my drive. 

In no particular order.

SP - Hard Normal Daddy

Aphex - Syro

Biggie - Ready to Die

Ryo Fukui - Scenery

Autechre - Exai

Amon Tobin - Bricolage

Mike P - Royal Astronomy

was wondering this too

I like them both immensely, but I find the tracks on Bricolage evoked stronger imagery for me.

New York Editor, Wires and Snakes, One Day in My Garden etc.... all sound like their track titles on a nice trip. 

Lame answer I know sorry.

genius

word, I'll have to give it another listen sometime. I remember hearing it not too long after it came out and was basically just "yep this is BOC alright" lol. fwiw they've never been my favorite group but I do think Geogaddi is a great album

Def the most cohesive and unified thematically. There was a shift toward more American based and cold war era hauntology, from my impressions anyway, instead of more the broad themes explored on past albums. I was a sucker for all of the southwestern desert imagery and post-dystopian social rebuilding stuff. 

The other aspect of why this is my favorite BoC album was the fact that I got to follow the massive campaign from the start. I got into BoC long after their classics were released. Besides the Dayvan Cowboy video - which I patiently loaded up on my parents DSL connected PC - I didn't geek out over The Campfire Headphase much. The size and scope of the TH release was truly special and I had the time to listen to properly on vinyl and also while visiting a cabin in New Mexico. 

Archived