IGNORED

Your favorite album of all time

Extralife

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally. Neil Davidge and Mike Stent apparently, I never actually looked this up before. I feel like trip-hop is still quite influential production wise, lot of poppy crossover stuff now reeks of the same polished but grandiose sound, which is good, but I don't see the genre cited too often.

Yeah, I think kind of the looped breakbeat sound found in a lot of '90s music is still regarded as hugely unfashionable. I often wonder if it'll ever come back around and be namechecked again.

Early 90s indie dance/grebo/madchester stuff as well as house-hop is creeping. George Clanton album has it all over, so does that US Girls album - it's basically a St. Etienne album. Trip-hop and Ninja Tune era  "chillout" nu jazz music is pretty apparent too in a lot of downtempo stuff.

As far as mid-90s big-beat goes it's probably going to be awhile. 

It is funny you mention those three: Radiohead, Tool and Pink Floyd, as when I think back to my final year of school when I was 17 (2006), those were the three I was obsessed about, and hyperbolic about at the time. You are correct, you do move on, or branch out, even if you still appreciate a few releases and remain a fan of them. My childhood bedroom still has lyrics and imagined albums which are like an impressionable teenage amalgam of those three influences.

OK Computer and Dark Side of the Moon are still top 10 favourites of mine, some faves stand the test of time, whereas stuff like The Bends and Wish You Were Here and anything Tool made after Aenima slipped away rather quickly once I hit my twenties, maybe listen to once every 5 years or so to try and rekindle something.

Yeah it's pretty hit or miss when I revisit all of the high school stuff I liked. Overall I noticed a lot of the edgier / angsty songs are less appealing whereas more nuanced tracks I used to skip I come to find I actually like more.

• 1 year later...

let me just give my top 10

Yes I know all of these albums are Warp published but they are genuinely my favorite records of all time.

10. Two Lone Swordsmen – Stay Down

Two Lone Swordsmen are minimal Techno master in my opinion. Their work, even though they aren’t active under this moniker anymore, is extremely underrated. This album is an overlooked classic. From the beautiful cover art tot the stunning texture and atmosphere of the tracks… it’s all perfect! Every track flows incredibly nice and they are memorable to boot. I fucking love the idea of a nautical IDM Techno album and these Lone Swordsmen have made just that! A perfect, sometimes moody dive into the deep.

9. LFO – Advance

LFO’s magnum opus imo. This record is so perfect I could talk about every single song in detail for hours, from the textures, the mood and the stuff that these tracks make me picture…. Take, for example, Ultra Schall. This track, to me, sounds like cave diving in this beautiful cave full of crystals and. Or the track Them, wich is like the beauty of the north pole in music form. I know these are random as fuck thoughts but things like that make this album special to me. There is so much emotion packed into some of these tracks even though I feel like LFO wasn’t intending on making a very emotional record.

8. Flying Lotus – Los Angeles

What can I say about this album… Magical beat music that sends you into outer space and beyond. The way FlyLo makes these tracks sound is stunning. Such rich, dense layering and texturing… Especially stuff like Golden Diva sends me into the unknown.

7. Brothomstates – Claro

If it wasn’t for the nostalgia, I hold for the albums that come after this one I would have placed it higher. Brothom is maybe THE artist that I miss the most. This guy is the most underrated act in the world. The stuff he does on this album and on Qtio (the accompanying EP) is something that I have rarely heard before. It’s so experimental yet so catchy… And I have heard people comparing Brothom to Ae and Aphex etc etc but that isn’t justified in my opinion. He has his own, unique sound and way of making tracks. Listen to Brothomstates Ixpen, In, Mdrmx, Qtio, Vleade and Brothomstates Vs. Bill Yard for example…. It’s criminal that gems like that have gone under the radar…

6. The Black Dog – Spanners

Ohhh boy… The Black Dog have always been something special to me. I just can’t wrap my head around the way they (or he) mix eastern sounds with techno. This album fucks with your brain and it takes a while to click, but when it does you’re in for a treat. From the mysterious Raxmus to the weird, psychedelic Further Harm to amazing IDM/Middle Eastern/Techno on Barbola Work. Even the “Bolt” interludes leave a mark! Even after Handley and Turner left to continue as Plaid I feel like The Black Dog has still been more consistently good. Music For Adverts (And Short Films), Bytes and Silenced are all near-perfect classics with Spanners taking the cake.

5. Squarepusher – Go Plastic

Insanity. That’s all I have to say. Perfect, beautiful insanity. This record is Tom going ALL OUT on every aspect. To this day I still can’t wrap my head around tracks like Greenways Trajectory. The sound design and editing/manipulation is something no one has ever come close to doing as well as Tom does on this record. And it also has it’s accessible moments like the literally perfect opener “My Red-Hot Car”

4. Autechre – Chiastic Slide

What I love about Chiastic is the incredibly layered sounds, the rich textures, the weird yet accessible song structures, the melodies and the crunchy beats, the perfectly fitting cover art and I could keep going on like this for a while. This is the first Ae album that clicked with me on first listen and it's what got me into them in the first place. I'll always treasure it and it never gets boring since there are always new sounds hidden in the deep layers of the tracks that you'll have never noticed before. I can go on and on talking about tracks like Recury or Nuane………………

3. Clark – Totem’s Flare

Up until recently Body Riddle had this spot because it was my introduction to Clark. But after all these years I must say that I have to give Totem’s Flare this spot now. This record is loud! Bombastic! Energetic! Fun! What I so deeply love about Clark’s music is that every track is like 5 tracks merged into one. These things, especially stuff like Outside Plume, Look into The Heart Now, TOTEM CRACKERJACK and Future Daniel are ever changing entities. And fucking masterfully created entities at that. This album, every single time I listen to it, gives me such an outburst of euphoria…. And he uses his voice on this record! I usually am not the biggest fan of vocals in music but the way he uses his voice on stuff like Rainbow voodoo just works really well.

2. Boards of Canada – Music Has The Right To Children

The mysteriousness of this record and the brothers that have created is has never ceased to intrigued me. The way the duo evokes a feeling of nostalgia is beyond me. These tracks are like small portals that open up when you listen to them that bring you back in time. It’s pure magic. And the tracks happen to sound like pure magic as well! My personal all-time favorites are Rue The Whirl, Sixtyten and Pete Standing Alone. But in all honesty, every single track is  s t u n n i n g.

1.    Aphex Twin – Drukqs

What can I say? It’s the album that introduced me to IDM…. This is it… The perfect record. Nothing will top it. It’s flawless in every respect. From mind melting to emotional, or both at the same time! I can’t handle how good, HOW PERFECT this album is and I twill always hold a very special place in my heart.

I want to thank Warp for putting out the best records I have ever heard. I have such a burning passion for this genre that I could talk about this music for days. I am incredibly thankful for everyone who has helped make this genre of music become what it is today. My world would have been A LOT worse without it. 

Thanks ?

4 minutes ago, yekker said:

I just reread this thread and im pretty sure nobody mentioned velvet underground and nico

Fucking classic album

How is that possible?

Venus in Furs has been my favorite song ever since my mom first played it to me when I was eight.

The Beatles - White Album 

The Beatles - Revolver 

Pink Floyd - Animals 

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica 

Autechre - Quaristice 

Kraftwerk - Computer World 

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

The Other People Place - Lifestyles of the Laptop Cafe

Sonic Youth - Washing Machine

Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind 

All top tier for me.  And I can’t choose one VU album, I need them all. 

I think David Bowie's Blackstar album is a work of high art. Really an exceptional and wonderful thing, the heights of which likely won't be reached again in my life time. It builds upon and concludes a lifetime work work in a tremendously unique way. It's the result of someone who has honed their craft over decades, and it stands as a very true artistic expression.

Of course there are a number of other album that I love, but I couldn't say anything was a truer or more clearly realised expression than Blackstar. 10/10 for me

true story

I remember cycling a few weeks ago through the winter Chilterns, I'd been out a few hours then had a few beers at a good pub and had a few good ales, it was the middle of the week so peaceful and quiet, I had maybe another couple of hours to get home. I was in perfect peace with myself, just drifting on two wheels under cold clear pure blue skies.

I remember having a distinct memory of perhaps decades of my life refusing to believe such a thing as your favourite album of all time actually existed. Such a concept was blasphemy. Pussy motherfucking wankstain cunts had favourite albums of all time. And apparently it was SGT PEPPER. Yeah if you are a pussy motherfucking wankstain Cunt, that would be your favorite album of all time. Or a American. Who's tiny mind was even blown by their haircuts. No wonder some hillbilly cunt decided he was going to create some Helter Skelter. 

So I put my headphones in my ears and I just casually I put on I Care Because You Do. And then I realised.

Perhaps this was The One.

Any time I hear somebody's favourite of anything I think "really, of everything that exists in the entire world that's your favourite?  There's absolutely nothing better?"  Which is also how I react anytime I try to think up one of my own.

On 1/23/2020 at 12:52 AM, thumbass said:

10. Two Lone Swordsmen – Stay Down

9. LFO – Advance

6. The Black Dog – Spanners

This takes me back. Haven't heard TLS in years, thanks for reminding me:) That is one interesting record for sure.

The Black Dog have some amazing tracks. Temple of Transparent Balls is also interesting. This techno style never got old for me, I still listen to it.

Agalloch - The Mantle

I don’t remember seeing anyone on watmm talk about this band in all my years here but they were pretty next level. I think this album has “Motherfucking Classic” written all over it and I don’t see myself ever getting sick of it.

12 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Any time I hear somebody's favourite of anything I think "really, of everything that exists in the entire world that's your favourite?  There's absolutely nothing better?"  Which is also how I react anytime I try to think up one of my own.

it also depends on personal tastes really

Tool - Lateralus

Radiohead - Kid A

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

Aphex - Drukqs

Deftones - White Pony

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled

Autechre - Untilted

Miles Davis - Jack Johnson

ISIS - Oceanic

Sigur Ros - Ágætis byrjun

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty

I also agree with the above posts V/U and Nico is easy in my top 10. 

It was a pretty great phase when I was buying all those classic albums by The Doors, Sabbath, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones (though I've gone off The Stones the last decade, for some reason), Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Neil Young etc etc. 

Still love all that stuff.

Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish

Brainwaltzera - Poly Ana

D'Arcangelo - Shipwreck

Volor Flex - Invasion

NTHNG - It Never Ends

Gidge - Autumn Bells

Ozomatli - Ozomatli

And of course Syro and Drukqs

didn't think I had a favorite album of all time but I also tell myself if I had to listen to only one record  for the rest of my days it would most definitely be SAW2, so I guess that is my favorite album of all time

6 minutes ago, cobra said:

didn't think I had a favorite album of all time but I also tell myself if I had to listen to only one record  for the rest of my days it would most definitely be SAW2, so I guess that is my favorite album of all time

for me it'd be either Autechre NTS or Beethoven's late string quartets by Takacs Quartet

3 hours ago, cobra said:

Yeah i think saw 2 is the ultimate relisten value. Its always music for longhaul flights.

Aphex - Drukqs

Squarepusher - Ultravisitor 

Autechre - Confield

Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher

Machinedrum - Now You Know

Madvillain - Madvillainy

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

D'Angelo - Voodoo

Common - Like Water For Chocolate

Nirvana - In Utero

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Faith No More - Angel Dust