IGNORED

The Coffee Thread™

Candiru

Yeah burr grinder makes a huge difference compared to blades. It go brrr

I use a light roast for my moka pot btw, it's better imo

Any Gaggia classic (pro) experts out here on watmm though? Does it need the mods? (Last post on previous page; Seems i got pagebreaked here (no worries though IOS lol))

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about trying French press coffee. What kind of grinder would be best to use? Is a big electric overkill for a single serving of coffee or should I look at a manual grinder?

1 minute ago, yekker said:

I'm thinking about trying French press coffee. What kind of grinder would be best to use? Is a big electric overkill for a single serving of coffee or should I look at a manual grinder?

There's small electric ones too. Important thing is being able to set the grain size from what I know!

45 minutes ago, chronical said:

There's small electric ones too. Important thing is being able to set the grain size from what I know!

Grain size adjustment is very important! yeah.

Edited by yekker

14 hours ago, yekker said:

Can you get Wilfa in Canada? After having loved two amazing grinders to death I decided to buy a "small" one for pour over and a "big" one for espresso. The coffee store I go to and buy beans from used a Wilfa for a long time for their pour overs. They said that it was just as good for that particular kind of brewing - so I bought one. And for what it costs it's excellent. Definitely get one of those or something along those lines if you can.
https://www.pactcoffee.com/blog/what-is-the-best-wilfa-coffee-grinder

So my electrical blade grinder stopped working and I got pissed that such a simple machine broke down and is now a useless piece of plastic, wires and metal, that I bought one if these manual burr grinders:

https://global.hario.com/product/coffee/grinder/MMCS.html

So far so good, I hope this lasts till I die.

4 hours ago, GORDO said:

So my electrical blade grinder stopped working and I got pissed that such a simple machine broke down and is now a useless piece of plastic, wires and metal, that I bought one if these manual burr grinders:

https://global.hario.com/product/coffee/grinder/MMCS.html

So far so good, I hope this lasts till I die.

I was looking at that one. Easy to make a medium grind?

14 hours ago, yekker said:

I was looking at that one. Easy to make a medium grind?

Yeah, adjusting for grind size is easy and grinding doesn't require much force, I grind for a moka express which I guess would be medium-fine size.

Only pain is that since the jar is wide your holding hand might get tired a bit from holding the jar in place while grinding, but no biggie.

I like that the jar is standard size so if it breaks for any reason you could replace it with another mason jar or whatever.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 10/26/2021 at 12:39 AM, yekker said:

Grain size adjustment is very important! yeah.

Don’t know how much you’re willing to spend but after I did some research for a good grinder to go with my flair neo (mainly reading up on Reddit posts) I got myself a 1zpresso jx pro a couple of weeks ago and it’s the shit. I think you can get it for about 160 dollars. It can go from Turkish coffee to espresso to French press.

I’m using a bottomless portafilter and removed the spout. No spraying or channeling whatsoever since I found the sweet spot on the grinder. Feels very satisfactory.

on the other hand French press is more forgiving so maybe investing in a jx pro is a bit over the top, although there are much more expensive grinders out there and if you ever wanna try another brewing method your grinder is sort of future proof when you get the jx pro

Edited by Berk

1 hour ago, Berk said:

Don’t know how much you’re willing to spend but after I did some research for a good grinder to go with my flair neo (mainly reading up on Reddit posts) I got myself a 1zpresso jx pro a couple of weeks ago and it’s the shit. I think you can get it for about 160 dollars. It can go from Turkish coffee to espresso to French press.

I’m using a bottomless portafilter and removed the spout. No spraying or channeling whatsoever since I found the sweet spot on the grinder. Feels very satisfactory.

on the other hand French press is more forgiving so maybe investing in a jx pro is a bit over the top, although there are much more expensive grinders out there and if you ever wanna try another brewing method your grinder is sort of future proof when you get the jx pro

I ended up going with that hario and am pleased with it

• Like 1

I bought a 60s Dienes grinder for like $40 on eBay in 2013 and never looked back.  Does everything from so fine it clogs an espresso machine up to coarse enough you don't need to filter it at all, doesn't burn the beans like an electric burr grinder, and you aren't going to find machined steel burrs on anything new under a few hundred dollars.

It's all just caffienated sludge water so it doesn't really matter that much, but it's really satisfying to use and looks cool.

image.thumb.jpeg.e8a83a0f4c95b363a2326511e5129da8.jpeg

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, milkface said:

My friend had a really cool Baletti espresso maker that had two spouts but the other day he forgot to put water in before putting it on the stove and melted it!!

How to Use the Bialetti Mini Express Espresso Coffee - YouTube

Holy shit, flashback... I used to one of those. It made such a fucking mess, because it squirts out coffee left and right before there's a constant stream of coffee coming out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Squee said:

Holy shit, flashback... I used to one of those. It made such a fucking mess, because it squirts out coffee left and right before there's a constant stream of coffee coming out.

Yesss haha always have to wipe the stove after making them (le creuset espresso mugs only)

Stoneware Riviera Set of 4 Espresso Mugs | Le Creuset UK | Le Creuset

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 5:21 PM, Squee said:

Le Creuset coffee mugs?! Hot damn!

Yeah man we found a shop that had discounted Le Creuset stuff so we ended up getting shitloads of pots, mugs and a nice teapot too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

coffee here is shit, it's basically brown water... anyway I'm used to espresso so my threshold is probably to high... I usually mix an espresso cup with a full glass of milk... that's how I like it, that, with some butter toast... there's days that I only eat that, my 3 meals per day...