IGNORED

The Coffee Thread™

Candiru

On 6/2/2019 at 3:58 PM, Candiru said:

Sometimes in coffee shops I’ll be looking at beans and there are these ridiculously expensive ones called gesha. It’s some 1%er shit because it can be like $60 for 8oz. Absurdity, mang. Anyone ever tried “gesha” beans?

I have. Some places they call it Geisha.
One of the best coffee shops and roasteries in the world is located in my home town and they've had a bunch of different gesha roasts. It's ridiculously good but it's also, as you said, ridiculously priced. I think I paid around $30 for 100 grams of coffee beans.
But I would prefer a good Kenyan bean any day of the week over that.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:53 PM, Candiru said:

The butter in coffee thing is just a way to kick start ketosis if you're doing the keto diet. You can also use coconut oil or MCT oil, which is made from coconut oil. I've tried it and it was gross. Not worth it. 

But it leaves your lips soft, which I appreciated when I was living in Minnesota. I never even bought chapstick while I was there because I was drinking my coffee with coconut oil.

• 2 months later...

Just had a few sips of my first moka pot coffee after 2 weeks + of being away from home.  I forgot coffee was supposed to be this satisfying.  Fuck Tim Hortons/Better Crocker/Folgers forever.  That one cafe in Montreal with the excellent Americano may live.  Holy shit this is a good cup of coffee.

7 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Just had a few sips of my first moka pot coffee after 2 weeks + of being away from home.  I forgot coffee was supposed to be this satisfying.  Fuck Tim Hortons/Better Crocker/Folgers forever.  That one cafe in Montreal with the excellent Americano may live.  Holy shit this is a good cup of coffee.

577b665d4f06187402c263c8b5681234--pee-wee-herman-award-winner.jpg

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

I’ve gotten some downright marvelous results from the moka pot. It’s gonna be American Press for all time, though. Probably the best thing for all the fancypants single-origin coffee because the flavors pop for real and I feel like I’m making the most of them beans. 

18 hours ago, dr lopez said:

yeah i know a thing or two about some nice big ethiopian naturals

Hummuna hummuna wow AaaaAAAoooooOoooooooga!

1 hour ago, Squee said:

Mocca pots scare me. Someone I know once had one explode on their stove. 

They probably filled the water above the valve and CRAMMED the coffee in there. Or maybe it was all corroded and full of stuff blocking the valve. All easy to avoid moka pot 101 stuff, nothing to fear. 

11 minutes ago, Candiru said:

They probably filled the water above the valve and CRAMMED the coffee in there. Or maybe it was all corroded and full of stuff blocking the valve. All easy to avoid moka pot 101 stuff, nothing to fear. 

I know. But knowing that you're making coffee in what could possibly be a handgrenade scares the shit out of me.

Nah, man... I only fuck with pour over and Aeropress.

I've used a Moka (the classic Bialetti one) for ten years, and bought an Aeropress a few months ago : makes a damn fine cup of coffee, every time .

re: Moka : as long as you don't forget that it's boiling, you're safe. I'd suggest boiling the water before with a kettle, tends to make less bitter results (and often speeds up the whole process).

Edited by Nil

That was originally in the script for The Dark Knight. Harvey Dent was a scorned moka pot noob with an axe to grind. (The Joker uses a fucking percolator.)

• 3 months later...

^ Fair enough. It's 100% an appealing utilitarian choice for us. It's breaking up our monotony of daily morning drip coffee and saving us from the temptations of nearby coffee shops during the workday. It's far better tasting than our Keurig ever was.

Edited by joshuatxuk

3 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

^ Fair enough. It's 100% an appealing utilitarian choice for us. It's breaking up our monotony of daily morning drip coffee and saving us from the temptations of nearby coffee shops during the workday. It's far better tasting than our Keurig ever was.

i see the appeal, and i didnt mean to say its bad per-say.. just less fresh than a pourover cuppa which for me is enough to do the daily ritual.

i do still have a problem with the waste that capsules create.  There is far too much unnecessary packaging in our lives in service of personal convenience.  No matter how innocuous it seems, i believe society needs to be pushing against this and making clear consumer choices in the opposite direction.  ive heard there are re-fillable capsules, but have never seen nor tried these in the wild.. and i still think its a solution to a nonexistant problem

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else dig the power combo of coffee and an apple?  start your coffee, start the apple around halfway in, finish with the apple, leave feeling fresh and energized, profit

probably really doesnt help the breath or anything but it gives the feeling of freshness hah

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An FWP, I suppose: every time I come back from Italy I waste at least half a day on the internet looking up prices of espresso machines I know I'm never ever going to buy.

Why oh why can't *any* of those Dutch coffee places that have the *exact same machines* as the places in Italy (and probably better ones) set them so they actually output espresso and not something that's a lungo at best and usually worse?

Even the coffee from my Quickmill 820 is better ... ?

• Like 1

I think it probably has more to do with the baristas in Italy using more traditional medium or dark roasts for espresso instead of a super-light roasted single origin bean for espresso. When pulled as a shot, super-light roasts can be sour acid bombs, even at top notch coffee spots. But I've had some really good ones that made me keep trying and I like them as pourover/drip/aeropress n all that

• Like 1