IGNORED

The Coffee Thread™

Candiru

$599 on a coffee machine? Are you fucking kidding me?

Nope.

Oh, I also have an Espro, two Chemex, an Arctic Iced Coffee Brewer. I think I’m forgetting something? Oh well.

Just imagine all the fantastic beer you could buy for that Lord Squee?

I'll stick to my Lazzarooo instant coffee (that's aboriginal for Lazzara)

Pour-overs all day, every day. Nice to have full control over temperature, brew time, grind consistency, etc. I'm not too particular about beans - I've had some great stuff from local roasters, but my go-to is trader joe's Honduran, cause it's cheap and still decent quality.

For some reason I can't get myself to start making cold brew even though it's very easy and I live somewhere with 120 degree heat. Maybe this summer I'll finally get into it.

Nope.

Oh, I also have an Espro, two Chemex, an Arctic Iced Coffee Brewer. I think I’m forgetting something? Oh well.

I don't drink alcohol, so let's just pretend coffee is my beer.

Nope.

I don't drink alcohol, so let's just pretend coffee is my beer.

Then I would do the same as you.

I use one of these, mostly.

325045810_325045180_fs_1.jpg

But if I want a big pot that'll last me for several hours I just do pour over.

currently have some stuff called, uh, salt spring i think? it's nice

Oh hey, you're Canadian too!  Have you been to Salt Spring?  I used to stay at a cabin there about once a summer, but I'm not sure I ever tried the coffee.  I do see it in the stores, but this is my goto coffee jam:

Kicking Horse.

Fuck yeah.  Pretty much any roast I've had from them is good, though I'm not much into dark roasts generally... too burnt + too much poo aftertaste.  But they make even that semi-appealing.

The one thing that makes the biggest difference in any cup of coffee however (if you don't drink it black) is this:
0005900000311.jpg

Milk or cream in even the best coffee is usually gross.  If you like cream in your coffee and haven't tried evaporated milk yet, you owe it to yourself to try it.  Plus you only need to use about half as much.  Oddly it is fucking disgusting in tea.  So tea drinkers stay the fuck away.

Have you been to Salt Spring?

i have not! still have yet to venture beyond this little bubble of eastern canada & upper new england

i bought a bag of kicking horse a little while back. some sorta burnt flavour i think? i remember it being quite nice.

at the last place i lived there was a pho restaurant right up the street, where you could get vietnamese ice coffee with evaporated milk. shit was dopppe, especially on a hot summer day

i could see myself buying a bunch of expensive-ass coffee equipment & ordering fancy beans from all over the place if I were to find myself in a financially lucrative position. i have this vague recurring fantasy image of myself as a somewhat older individual, having finally "made it" as some sort of a thing I'd actually be excited to be getting paid for, standing next to my fancy coffee rig & beans imported from some island somewhere, and i would know in that moment that i had overcome the struggles & doubts of my youth & was thus now ready to enter proper adult mode. out of all the possible futures i can imagine this one may well be the dweebiest, but it's still nice to imagine

French press when I can. Usually cheap espresso, tho . I use the cafe bustelo. I really need to quit caffeine as I have a hiatal hernia. Not an issue usually but Id like to run at night and it is impossible if I've had any caffeine

How do WATMMers like their coffee?

black as midnight on a moonless night

Like they like their women (or guys, no judgement) - non-existent and fictional

I usually never make coffee in caffettieras (aka moka), which is the most popular way in croatia. i drink what we call the turkish caffee... i just put some high quality caffee (illy or lavazza) in a cup and then add a boiling water over it. The best! :)

A 3-cup Bialetti moka pot for me every morning. I try a little bit of everything from Cafe Bustelo to fancy-ass beans ground in a Baratza Encore I splurged on with Amazon gift cards from work. We really rack those up. I think an Aeropress is the next thing to try but moka pots are just so kvlt I’ll never give it up

Good ole cheap coffee everyday for me. With a newborn it's mostly been keurig pods, black folgers at work and/or regular drip at home. We have an espresso machine and French press for the weekends. 

today on a whim i covered my entire body in old coffee grinds

turns out that's actually supposed to be pretty good for your skin! will likely give myself the ol coffee bean massage every day now

Spent coffe grinds for handing out.

I went to George Howell today. A fancy pants roaster in Boston and got an espresso which was kinda sour. I’ve realized good/bad coffee experiences can be unpredictable.

I used to do tons of pour-over local roast w/ my kalita wave.  Since moving back to Lawrence I've really been digging Repetition Coffee and I've gone to a couple of their tasting events.  They also roasted some coffee for a special collaboration coffee stout with the Lawrence Beer Company that was amazing.

Over the past couple months I've been making cold brew in a 32oz mason jar a couple times a week and it's been especially nice.  I was always a black coffee guy, but a bit of cream in the cold brew really hits the spot.

what do you guys think of glass coffee mugs? i've got a few of them, they look beautiful & insulate coffee like no tomorrow... only problem is im scared to put them in the microwave

I usually use a french press but have been thinking about switching over to a pour over

anyone use a v60?

Edited by jules

what do you guys think of glass coffee mugs? i've got a few of them, they look beautiful & insulate coffee like no tomorrow... only problem is im scared to put them in the microwave

I have a set of ones like this, they're great.  It shouldn't be an issue to go into the microwave that I can think of.

Kalorik+Double+Wall+Glass+13+Oz+Coffee+C

^yeah I've never had problems with glass mugs. Those look nice. I've actually broken like 4 or 5 (cheap) ceramic mugs over the years though, pouring in coffee that was too hot busted them, I think once I microwaved some coffee in one and it cracked. All ceramic though.