IGNORED

Ital Tek - Bodied (7 Sep 2018)

39V78XA.jpg

https://italtek.bandcamp.com/album/bodied

Planet Mu are excited to announce Ital Tek's 'Bodied', the follow up to his acclaimed 2016 album 'Hollowed'. Stepping in a different direction from that album, It’s as if Hollowed's detailed world has been fleshed out and filled with the spectre of human voices.

As on his last album, the sounds on 'Bodied' are highly designed, but this time barely a whisper of dance music remains. Instead it's built around acoustic elements and ghostly choral arrangements, refracted and transformed into atmospheric, alien forms which are given the time to settle and transform. Rhythm is used only as a tool to give his world a sense of dark, mechanical momentum.

Alan explains; "After completing 'Hollowed' I had over a year away from writing any of my own material. I was working, composing music for a video game and a number of different projects. I needed to find a way back in and I rediscovered the joy of music being a release as opposed to a job. I was getting up really early and sketching out lots of ideas very fast, squeezing in quick bursts of writing at the beginning or end of long studio day spent working on other musical projects."

"It was important for me to define the world that the album was going to inhabit before taking it any further, so I put a much greater focus into the sound design and palette than I had before. I wanted to make the music sound very physical, geometric, and monolithic, as if it inhabited a physical space." 

"On 'Bodied' the music focuses on the interplay between the minuscule and the vast, beauty and brutalism. With this album I was much more concerned with dynamics and the discipline of holding tension; the use of space and silence to provide a counterpoint to the intensity."

"Most importantly, I was keen for there to be a human acoustic foundation, so I did a lot of live recording of cello, violin, harp and guitar - anything I could get my hands on. I was certain that I wanted there to be a greater vocal presence - nothing lyrical or at the forefront but to give it an underlying organic quality - to impart some humanity into the music."

As Ital Tek moves further from his roots, he's creating new sounds and spaces in which his music can exist. It's up to the listener to decide what kind of world 'Bodied' evokes, but it's certainly one that's beautiful and rewarding to spend time in.

Woah, Blood Rain! Reminded me of Kuedo doing Bladerunner

This. Sounds glorious though. Never gelled with what he released priori to Hollowed, which is a fantastic record. Really looking forward that new one.

Hmm, Hollowed never quite struck me as much as his previous work. Midnight Colour being my favorite.

Hopefully this does something different enough in a good way that it sticks with me.

Vid production reminded me of...

Noice sounds, will keep an eye out for the album. 10 years since Cyclical, where the hell did that time go? Nebula Dance has always been my go-to in regards to Ital Tek, was definitely giving Machinedrum a run for his money back then. Now remembering this lovely unreleased track still sat in my Ital Tek folder:

https://soundcloud.com/ital-tek/glacial-momentum-2012

Yeah man, cyclical is still the bomb.

Memories of this gig 10 years ago, sweltering hot sunshine outside and a really HOT humid tent.  They had a bubble machine running which was kinda cool.

There was a ridiculous Opus soundsystem in the tent that made your eyeballs shake around in your sockets.  Fun times.

This. Sounds glorious though. Never gelled with what he released priori to Hollowed, which is a fantastic record. Really looking forward that new one.

It's always impressive to me when an artist can transition from percsussion heavy music to beatless stuff that is just as dynamic. Maybe I'm just superficial but either way this sounds great and progressive

Video was interesting. I like that more than I like any Ital Tek I've heard before, but I think I'll need to hear the full album to really place it. Sounds a bit like Lorn but without the balls.

Really looking forward to this. Not sure about the artwork though, reminds of the old Mac OS X retail box packaging but gone a bit mouldy. Any significance to the X, 10 years?

New Ital Tek is always super exciting. Hollowed took me a bit to get into, but it's an amazing release.

I don't really "get" the video, but the track is good. Agreed with Kuedo vibes, but also clearly following up on the sound palette of Hollowed. I'm getting William Gibson/Bladerunner distopian vibes for sure.

Video made me think of Suspiria a bit, with the colours and all, you know. Who needs to get a video anyway?

Also tune is great. Wang activated for the new album.

• 2 months later...

can't say anything until I hear it in full. I get that after the pure bangerz that was Nebula Dance it's a bit hard to slow down and acclimatise to the new ambient direction, but Hollowed did eventually become one of my fave albums of that year. idk I'm probably just a fanboy.

Archived