IGNORED

WAP100 - We Are Reasonable People (20th Anniversary)

jasondonervan

20 years young! A familiar sight in either the Warp or general Compilations racks of your local friendly record store, it was a solid selection of tunes that still holds up nicely, 20 years on from its original release. Definitely worth taking a few moments to appreciate and enjoy.

r-637-1189497871.jpegemsxr.jpg

r-637-1189497898.jpegiksts.jpg

r-637-1189497915.jpegb4sxr.jpg

We Are Reasonable People
WAP100
CD | 3xLP
29/06/1998

01. Squarepusher/AFX - Freeman Hardy & Willis Acid
02. Boards of Canada - Orange Romeda
03. Broadcast - Hammer Without a Master
04. Plaid - Ilasas
05. Autechre - Stop Look Listen
06. Nightmares on Wax - Fishtail Parker
07. Jimi Tenor - Wear My Bikini
08. Plone - Plaything
09. Red Snapper - 4 Dead Monks (Original Demo)
10. Mira Calix - Umchunga Locks
11. Two Lone Swordsmen - Circulation
12. Mark Bell - A Salute to Those People Who Say Fuck You

The artist roster on that bad boy always amazes me ... Imagine a compilation album with those people on it released now, it'd sell out before it was even advertised.

Indeed a curious set of tunes

I wonder what the 30th set will include?

No Rome track and I’ll be one unhappy chappy

Bear in mind that this wasn't a 10th anniversary release for Warp (that would be your 10+1, 10+2, 10+3), but yep - Warp's 30th is rapidly creeping up in late 2019. I'm sure there will be an appropriate celebratory release, but I don't see it being anywhere near as lavish as the Warp 20 set was.

The artist roster on that bad boy always amazes me ... Imagine a compilation album with those people on it released now, it'd sell out before it was even advertised.

WARP should totally get the same folks together (as much as possible) for the 30th - it would be awesome to see how the artists sounds have evolved since then!

WAP 100 is one of my favourite releases - it was where I first heard Boards of Canada, for one...

WARP should totally get the same folks together (as much as possible) for the 30th - it would be awesome to see how the artists sounds have evolved since then!

WAP 100 is one of my favourite releases - it was where I first heard Boards of Canada, for one...

I think back to how influential label compilations were to me in the 90s. They represented good value as you often got more tracks for your money - especially when you got a 2xCD release - and were a handy jumping point for artists you hadn't yet been exposed to, but would then go on to grab an EP or album of theirs, purely on the strength of their compilation contributions.

Still boggles my mind that the first Headz comp on Mo Wax gave me my initial exposure to Autechre with 'Lowride' - the least 'chre track of 'em all! Yet it was a fantastic crossover tune that bridged my interest in hip hop/electronic stuff that was starting to filter through, and made me want to hear more. Perhaps I would have got there with Autechre eventually; discovered them under different terms, at a different time... but I can't understate the effect those compilations had on carving my tastes going forward.

Stop Look Listen is one of Autechre's best tracks.. as for the other tracks, good stuff all round but I'm not sure about that big slab of bigbeat in the second half. Bigbeat hasn't aged well imo.

• 1 year later...

Archived