IGNORED

Houston Tracker 2 for TI calculator

worms

http://irrlichtproject.de/houston/

About HoustonTracker 2

HoustonTracker 2 is a music editor/sequencer for the Texas Instruments TI-82, TI-83/82STATS, and TI-83+/84+/SE. It allows you to compose and play multi-channel 1-bit music directly on your TI graphic calculator.

HoustonTracker 2 is a complete rewrite of the original Houston Tracker. Like HT, it is developed by utz aka irrlicht project.

Features

• 3 tone channels

• 1 non-interrupting drum channel

• up to 128 note patterns

• up to 64 drum/fx patterns

• sequence length up to 255 pattern rows

• 16-bit frequency precision

• 8-bit speed precision, can be configured per step

• various effects, including:

- L/C/R stereo hard-panning for tone and drum channels

- 8bit duty cycle control

- duty cycle sweep

• 2 user definable samples

• up to 8 savestates

• edit during playback

Why the hell does a calculator have a stereo audio output though? I must be getting old.

Also, is it just me or the sound is still glitchy especially if the guy edits stuff while playing?

Why the hell does a calculator have a stereo audio output though? I must be getting old.

Data transfer on these calculators is done via a simple 3-terminal interconnect that happens to be a standard audio jack (presumably to keep manufacturing costs down). This is written in assembly so it's working at a very low level and almost certainly just pushing bits directly to the output register(s) - basically setting the voltage of either terminal "up" or "down" every .1 ms (or whatever the sampling rate is).

Data transfer on these calculators is done via a simple 3-terminal interconnect that happens to be a standard audio jack (presumably to keep manufacturing costs down). This is written in assembly so it's working at a very low level and almost certainly just pushing bits directly to the output register(s) - basically setting the voltage of either terminal "up" or "down" every .1 ms (or whatever the sampling rate is).

Thanks, learned something new today. :)

I tried this; it can sound very menacing, but ultimately I didn't have the patience to learn how to use it properly. Great idea though.

check the tracker's manual first if youre going to buy a calc for this

you need a usb to 2.5mm cable, the manual recommends which one to get

then you need a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor to get audio out 

I managed to get both a TI -something calculator and an unopened USB to TI data cable out of the trash 5 or 6 years ago, so I'll give it a shot at some point, the cable's still in a box somewhere in a closet since I moved last summer.

EDIT: never mind, doesn't support TI89

Archived