IGNORED

Endlesss.fm - Tim Exile's new music-making platform

cear

well....

this app is AMAZING. i've been addicted since i installed it a few days ago. been jamming a lot with my brother who lives in japan.

the way it works is it has a bunch of little preset instruments for drums, bass, melody, very similar to figure if you've used that. it also has microphone/line in. and then it has an 8 part looper that is continuously looping, with a really long history of buffers. i would break it down into 3 hierarchies:

1. Layer, the most basic building block. when you record anything, it gets added to the layer pool, which has 8 spaces.

2. Riff, which is a grouping of layers. each time you record a new layer, it creates a new riff.

3. Jam, the equivalent of a room. Each jam has a history of all the riffs the room has made. you can go back days and days into the memory, and supposedly, with the $4.50 subscription, you have infinite history.

A really cool thing is the FX section. FX can combine up to all of the 8 layers into a new riff. you apply the effects in real time with an XY pad, or you can do it from the parameter page. Usually when i enter a jam, i will rearrange whatever terrible EDM loop is going and try to turn it into something better. You can also change the BPM which also changes the pitch of the riff as if it was tape.

Endless is basically a really efficient workflow packaged into a very immediate and reactive app, that so far has worked very well. there is a lot of potential for other features. You can make a jam and invite people, but it would be cool if it functioned like a multiplayer game and you could browse a list of a bunch of public jams. Right now I think the public rooms are kind of a set number of categories that are all pretty cheese pandora EDM chillout/lofi beats to study to aesthetics, but the app itself has tons of potential.

the way you have to commit your ideas to print and move on really encourages a rapid generation of ideas.

i highly recommend installing it. it's free on mobile. i will post a link here to my dub techno room if anyone wants to come hang out. there is also a chat room.

https://endlesss.fm/jam/520c0be9862065ef92b61fc378e48f1661f159a77c3e9cfbe9558bc2c1d89b3/join